Parking charge notice?

Associate
KFC are rubbish nowadays, the chicken coating doesn't have the same flavour, it used to have a very distinctive peppery taste I imagine the franchises are not buying enough of the coating they put on and also their fries are terrible now, If you eat inside they add 20% VAT on the cost so we have stopped going there

Soldato
Appeal sent will go the POPLA route as suggested.
If this letter is the 100% the first one you have received it should be cancelled no problem.

I got a ticket last year for stopping at Southampton Ferry Port to pick somebody up and the ferry was late. I went onto MSE, and actually found the land isn't enforceable because it comes under port authority. I appealed it, the company declined the appeal thinking i'd suck it up and pay. Went to POPLA, sent my evidence in.

The never contested it at all, 2 days later was told it was cancelled. They just hope people will suck it up and pay, it costs them a lot to keep chasing these things.

But like people have said you should not ignore them anymore. But never identify the driver, because thats who the contract is with.

If you search for the specific carpark on MSE, you might get some hits and advice.

Soldato
Appeal sent will go the POPLA route as suggested.

Did you get the letter reviewed by people on MSE? They will follow the letter of the contract and won't just let you off.

So you need to rely on things like, they were too late to send you the notice i e. after 14 days. Or rely on the fact that the signage was of poor quality and so it was not reasonable for the driver to have known they would be charged exactly £100 after 90 mins. You can also challenge the authority of the parking company amongst other things.

Soldato
Did you get the letter reviewed by people on MSE? They will follow the letter of the contract and won't just let you off.

So you need to rely on things like, they were too late to send you the notice i e. after 14 days. Or rely on the fact that the signage was of poor quality and so it was not reasonable for the driver to have known they would be charged exactly £100 after 90 mins. You can also challenge the authority of the parking company amongst other things.

I think the 14 day clause is pretty much the get out of jail card here. Normally a PCN is sent within that timeframe so then you have to resort to the poor signage claim etc.

I do laugh at the poor signage claim, as that will only work for so long. Eventually there will be so much signage in car parks that you'd probably get laughed out of court for a poor signage claim.

Soldato
I think the 14 day clause is pretty much the get out of jail card here. Normally a PCN is sent within that timeframe so then you have to resort to the poor signage claim etc.

I do laugh at the poor signage claim, as that will only work for so long. Eventually there will be so much signage in car parks that you'd probably get laughed out of court for a poor signage claim.

Yet so many signs are of poor quality and/or not maintained. They are often the wrong size with ridiculously small print or don't comply with PoFA. Often the NtK itself doesn't satisfy PoFA requirements.

Parking companies often can't be bothered in satisfying any laws. They just know if they speak with authority, throw a few threats then many people will pay and the cost to them was just one letter and a few pounds to get the details.

Associate
I got a £100 fine the other week from NCP for parking during my Jury service. Non payment apparently even though I have a receipt for my payment + the payment on their **** app. ANPR cameras clearly don't work properly in conjunction with the app. Jokers.

Didn't even want to be there. Normally avoid carparks for this exact reason. Now I have hassle for nothing.

Associate
I got a £100 fine the other week from NCP for parking during my Jury service. Non payment apparently even though I have a receipt for my payment + the payment on their **** app. ANPR cameras clearly don't work properly in conjunction with the app. Jokers.

Didn't even want to be there. Normally avoid carparks for this exact reason. Now I have hassle for nothing.

What a nuisance - at least you'll get off once you present the evidence.

Maybe press them for some freebies as an apology - do they do gift codes for free parking credit, sure it would come in use at some point.

But lol - would be the worst gift in the world to buy somebody if they do.

Soldato
I had a charge last year. Claimed I'd spent over 24hrs in the car park. Sent me two pics, one of me entering the car park then leaving the following day.

However I'd visited the car park on both days, in separate visits.

Appealed which was rejected so sent them notice of my intent to go via POPLA and would be supplying my own CCTV evidence of me entering and leaving on both days within the limits.

They wrote back saying 'in light of an investigation, a fault was found with the AnPR system and the ticket is cancelled'

Soldato
Bit bulky, I wonder how much a couple of 520mm x 111mm LCD panels would cost? Hook 'em up to an in-car PC and you could change your VRN at will.

They were pretty hard to spot. But the police clamped down on them a few years back and there aren't many on ebay anymore :D

Soldato
I had a charge last year. Claimed I'd spent over 24hrs in the car park. Sent me two pics, one of me entering the car park then leaving the following day.

However I'd visited the car park on both days, in separate visits.

Appealed which was rejected so sent them notice of my intent to go via POPLA and would be supplying my own CCTV evidence of me entering and leaving on both days within the limits.

They wrote back saying 'in light of an investigation, a fault was found with the AnPR system and the ticket is cancelled'

Should have gone to POPLA. Costs them money and goes on record. Think about how many others they are scamming with this "fault". APNR systems are pretty basic and this things happens all the time and they don't care. It's a good defence if there is a history of this as it calls into question the accuracy of the entire APNR system they are using.

Also it means they access your personal information from the DVLA without the correct reason and so have broken their terms of access to your personal data. In court you would be awarded £500 for such a GDPR breach + further damages (as they would have passed on your personal information to debt collecting companies falsely). Also if the DVLA get enough of these occurrences pointed out to them they will remove the right of the parking company to access such information.

Apart from a couple all these parking companies are cowboy outfits who just rebrand when their business reputation is in tatters and the DVLA or courts have taken action.

If this had happened to me and I had the evidence you had, I would either of gone to POPLA, or completely ignored them and had a fun day in court getting damages. They would likely have attempted to cancel court action as soon as you revealed the evidence, but by then with a counter demand for damages it would be too late for them as you'd have to agree to a cancellation.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5585388/data-protection-act-guidance

Last edited:
Associate
just to add i had this at the local cinema complex a while ago 90 mins free parking....parking eye company.
the film was a hobbit movie i think over 2 hours anyway. was surprised to get a ticket a few days later complained to the cinema and the charge was dropped , so sometimes the realise there wrong lol

Back
Top Bottom