• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I can definitely see issues with Nvidia wanting in on a special communication mode with hardware they don't make :p
The Adaptive-Sync technology which I think he is basing this on was there before nvidia coined their own implementation to handle the issue, as nobody was really addressing it.

several times Nvidia has taken tech that technically existed but which no one else was using and brought it into the fold for what would benefit the entire industry.

If Nvidia did not do Gsync would we have Freesync or how long extra would we have waited - maybe we'd only get adaptive sync now with hdmi 2.1

If Nvidia did not do hardware accelerated ray tracing would we have any ray tracing games now, would consoles do ray tracing now? Probably not

Nvidia was also first to implement programmable shaders

Soldato
Wrong, nVidia invented Gsync and Freesync was the 'copy'.

Wrong, Freesync came from Adaptive-Sync VESA open standard.

NVIDIA took that standard, added to it, made it proprietary by adding GSYNC mode for $$$$

https://www.howtogeek.com/228735/g-sync-and-freesync-explained-variable-refresh-rates-for-gaming/#:~:text=of V-Sync.-,NVIDIA's G-Sync and AMD's FreeSync,display that supports G-Sync.

This is AMD’s solution, and it’s not proprietary. Instead, it’s based on a royalty-free industry standard known as DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync. Displays that support FreeSync don’t need a proprietary hardware module, and this makes them a bit cheaper.

I rest my case M-Lud ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Wrong, nVidia invented Gsync and Freesync was the 'copy'.

Nvidia didn't actually invent Variable Refresh Rate though. It's true they got to market in 2013 with Gsync before AMD did with Freesync in 2014 however Variable Refresh Rate as a technology or method on its own was used long before Nvidia even mentioned Gsync for the first time. Look up vector displays and/or raster displays if you are curious.

Associate
This may have already been answered but with the Smart Access Memory feature - will this work on all 500 (X570 and B550) series motherboards? Or just x570?

Pretty sure its any 500 series chipsets so at least B550 / X570 (and maybe A520 no idea on the latter) but you need a 5000 series CPU

Nvidia didn't actually invent Variable Refresh Rate though. It's true they got to market in 2013 with Gsync before AMD did with Freesync in 2014 however Variable Refresh Rate as a technology or method on its own was used long before Nvidia even mentioned Gsync for the first time. Look up vector displays and/or raster displays if you are curious.

Its been in laptops for a while as well but used for power saving vs games

Caporegime
Associate
several times Nvidia has taken tech that technically existed but which no one else was using and brought it into the fold for what would benefit the entire industry.

If Nvidia did not do Gsync would we have Freesync or how long extra would we have waited - maybe we'd only get adaptive sync now with hdmi 2.1

If Nvidia did not do hardware accelerated ray tracing would we have any ray tracing games now, would consoles do ray tracing now? Probably not

Nvidia was also first to implement programmable shaders
Yes I'm hearing rumours they are going to make 1 more push at 3D vision.

Associate
I am waiting for more tech details... but it makes sense for AMD to license the tech to nvidia.
The thing about nvidia is that they dont iterate, each new gen is different and you never know what nvidia may concoct for the next gen
If i were AMD, i would oblige because.. you dont want to be negotiating from a weaker position in the future
Nvidia simple would not reciprocate. Handing anything to Nvidia that will benefit Nvidia is just storing up trouble for the future. Locking them out of everything humanly, legally and
economically possible is the only way to deal with a corporation with the ethics of Nvidia (i.e.no ethics).

Caporegime
Wrong, Freesync came from Adaptive-Sync VESA open standard.

NVIDIA took that standard, added to it, made it proprietary by adding GSYNC mode for $$$$

https://www.howtogeek.com/228735/g-sync-and-freesync-explained-variable-refresh-rates-for-gaming/#:~:text=of V-Sync.-,NVIDIA's G-Sync and AMD's FreeSync,display that supports G-Sync.

I rest my case M-Lud ;)
Yup this is certainly the case I like the fact that AMD adopt open standards that are more consumer-friendly even if they don't (yet, but I think that they will catch up soon) have the same level of software expertise that Nvidia do.

Soldato

Not long as AMD and first announced it in 2014 to compete against Nvidia's proprietary G-Sync ;)

I'll give you RTX, while NVIDIA didn't invent Ray Tracing or it's hardware acceleration they were the first to popularise with consumer/gaming market.

Delving back to 2001 it's true the first video card with a proprietary programmable pixel shader was the Nvidia GeForce 3 . Luckily geometry shaders were introduced with Direct3D 10 and OpenGL 3.2 and graphics hardware evolved toward a unified (non proprietary) shader model. (shamefully ripped from Wikipedia)

Last edited:
Associate
Nvidia simple would not reciprocate. Handing anything to Nvidia that will benefit Nvidia is just storing up trouble for the future. Locking them out of everything humanly, legally and
economically possible is the only way to deal with a corporation with the ethics of Nvidia (i.e.no ethics).

Lol.. not saying do it for free, dont open source it, ask for royalties instead
whatever, i see a future where mobo vendors will force us to pay both nvidia + amd tax for SAM
just like we had to pay for both crossfire + SLI instead of paying for just one, if it would have been standardised
Some technologies are better shared
like nvidia open sourcing its RT devkit, collaborating on DXR
giving away its DLSS model to Microsoft for DirectML implementation

it may satisfy the lust for revenge, but something that's not looking good for the market

Associate
Intel are in an interesting position given that they can follow this same level of CPU integration with it’s upcoming GPU lineup.

Nvidia might need to start considering how they can partner with the Intel and AMD, which should hopefully align technologies instead of everyone having their own proprietary BS (wishful thinking).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom