• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Intel are in an interesting position given that they can follow this same level of CPU integration with it’s upcoming GPU lineup.

Nvidia might need to start considering how they can partner with the Intel and AMD, which should hopefully align technologies instead of everyone having their own proprietary BS (wishful thinking).

Cant see it not with Intel wanting to become a much bigger player in the gfx market. Anything that gives their gfx cards a boost and then encourages somebody to buy an Intel cpu and mobo over an AMD one is going to be a big plus.

Soldato
Intel are in an interesting position given that they can follow this same level of CPU integration with it’s upcoming GPU lineup.

Nvidia might need to start considering how they can partner with the Intel and AMD, which should hopefully align technologies instead of everyone having their own proprietary BS (wishful thinking).

I think this is one of the reasons NVIDIA has bought ARM, how long until we see an NVIDIA CPU/GPU SoC so that they can compete with AMD for next Sony/Microsoft Consoles. Currently they can't compete with AMD as they can only offer a discrete GPUs.

AMD SoC = 8C/16T Ryzen “Zen 2” CPU, 10.3 TFLOPS RDNA 2 Radeon GPU, very tasty in PS5, exactly why both Sony/Microsoft went AMD (I also think there is some history there with NVIDIA trying to abuse there dominant market position but that's a whole other bag-o-worms)

Soldato
And when Nvidia does share or adopt open tech they try to make it look like they own it. Look at the way they basically adopted FreeSync but did so in a way that was an attempt to rebrand it as G-Sync.

First they implemented FreeSync in their drivers but made out that they were rolling G-Sync out for FreeSync monitors, and then they updated their latest generation G-Sync modules for monitors to give compatibility with FreeSync enabled cards but didn’t really being honour of their way to share that information in quite the same way.

Do now if you do a google search for cross compatibility the top hit is about some FreeSync monitors working with G-Sync rather than the other way round. It took me ages to find out that my Alienware Ultra Wide could also handle FreeSync (discovered on this forum actually) and it was this information that helped me change my mind on my GPU purchase from 3080 to 6800XT as I now know that I’m not locked in to Nvidia.

I’m glad that AMD seems to be upping its game somewhat as it seems that Nvidia needs a serious competitor to keep it honest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j6TiSdKT0A

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd1bp9eSfwo

Nvidia have been doing this for years

Associate
Youre not getting it.

I am BGA substrate supplier. I supply all of TSMCs BGA substrate for AMD PS5, Xbox Series X and AMD GPUs. I have an issue, the supply i can give is hit by x%.... What product likely loses out and is most hit by that, the consoles which will be seen as tier 1 priority with ironclad agreements with AMD and TSMC or AMDs dGPUs.

oh i laughed so hard, they went from "i know a discord guy" to "i know insiders" "just passing info" "i am the supplier for AMD"

Associate
I think this is one of the reasons NVIDIA has bought ARM, how long until we see an NVIDIA CPU/GPU SoC so that they can compete with AMD for next Sony/Microsoft Consoles. Currently they can't compete with AMD as they can only offer a discrete GPU.

AMD SoC = 8C/16T Ryzen “Zen 2” CPU, 10.3 TFLOPS RDNA 2 Radeon GPU, very tasty ;)

I believe its mostly for datacenter push..
seems RISC processors are now threatening to replace x86 processors at lower power targets
The real threat for AMD/Intel/Nvidia now lies outside the traditional market perimeter
https://www.anandtech.com/show/15578/cloud-clash-amazon-graviton2-arm-against-intel-and-amd
https://wccftech.com/aws-graviton2-cores-transistors-performance/

But something might trickle down to the consumer market eventually

Soldato
But what's an extra 100-200 mhz going to get you in terms of framerate? You'll probably get that with very a mild overclock. I think for most people that want to play games rather than benchmark, the difference in performance will be much less significant than the difference in price.

couple of things.

a heavily binned gpu will give you better thermals and power draw, you can also undervolt.

a 10-15% boost over stock is also through power limit increases which allows you to maintain what you have, rather than just a higher headline number. need to remember that the Navi clock bounces around an awful lot, even when under load and is quite sensitive to power limit.

I learned from my 5700XT experience that a good chip and a high power limit can do wonders under liquid cooling and that’s why i am gonna hold out to see which AIBs get a waterblock.

Caporegime
I mean it wasn't overclocked, RAGE mode doesn't adjust the clocks just the power budget :D. It's not like they didn't put it very clearly on the slide either.

They were also being boosted by using a 5000 CPU, and the SAM.

Lets have it on a non 5000 CPU, or an Intel CPU, no RAGE, no SAM, and lets see how it does stock for stock, as that wasn't a fair comparison, looks to me like, to beat the 3090, you'll need a 5000 CPU as well, so you may as well say, the 6900 is going to cost you (if you take the cheapest 5 CPU on here), £1,290, and thats assuming you already have an AMD board, that you can just that CPU straight into, if not, then they'll cost even more, as not only will you need the CPU, you'll need a motherboard etc... as well.

They said the card was $999, but the slide they showed, was using a 6900 XT, that was more expensive than that.

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
They were also being boosted by using a 5000 CPU, and the SAM.

Lets have it on a non 5000 CPU, or an Intel CPU, no RAGE, no SAM, and lets see how it does stock for stock, as that wasn't a fair comparison, looks to me like, to beat the 3090, you'll need a 5000 CPU as well, so you may as well say, the 6900 is going to cost you (if you take the cheapest 5 CPU on here), £1,290, and thats assuming you already have an AMD board, that you can just that CPU straight into, if not, then they'll cost even more, as not only will you need the CPU, you'll need a motherboard etc... as well.

I agree with you on SAM and hope reviews show with and without, but Rage I see no problem with if it's fully warrantied and works all the time at the click of a button.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom