• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970 vs 3070 price

Associate
Just to follow on from my post above, if we work on the 2070 being about 65% faster than a 970, and a 3070 being 95% faster than a 1070 we can see there has been a comparitive performance uplift, so pricewise compared to my 1070 at £340, multiplied by 130%, equates to an asking price of roughly £442. So with the worse ecomonic conditions factored in the FE3070 at £469 looks about right would you say?

Of course if Nvidia had their way and AMD weren't back on the competitive scene you can guarantee the FE3070 would have been nearer £600.

Soldato
GTX 970 user here. I know exactly how you feel. The 10xx and 20xx series went to ridiculous prices at times, and it's happening again with the 30xx series. I refuse to play the gpu price game.

I hope AMD can challenge Nvidia with their next gen line up, because it will allow more healthy competition and hopefully lower prices.

Soldato
Just to follow on from my post above, if we work on the 2070 being about 65% faster than a 970, and a 3070 being 95% faster than a 1070 we can see there has been a comparitive performance uplift, so pricewise compared to my 1070 at £340, multiplied by 130%, equates to an asking price of roughly £442. So with the worse ecomonic conditions factored in the FE3070 at £469 looks about right would you say?

Of course if Nvidia had their way and AMD weren't back on the competitive scene you can guarantee the FE3070 would have been nearer £600.
65%? Try 100%. And in reality the difference is even greater than that due to all the extra features the 2070 has AND the bigger memory allows you to use settings the 970 can't even dream about like UHD textures, and in turn also means less stutter etc.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-970.c2620

And keep in mind while it's true a 2070/2060S (same card) is £400 now (new), it's on its way out. In only a few months that £400 will get you closer to 2080 Super performance (or 2080 Ti if you go AMD)! Which would be >150% jump from a 970.

Soldato
GTX 970 user here. I know exactly how you feel. The 10xx and 20xx series went to ridiculous prices at times, and it's happening again with the 30xx series. I refuse to play the gpu price game.

I hope AMD can challenge Nvidia with their next gen line up, because it will allow more healthy competition and hopefully lower prices.
So AMD are now releasing a £1000 GPU when people panned the 2080ti for that price tag yet since the 3090 is £1500 people seem to think it's good value.

The 6800 is 10-15% faster than a 3070 and is 15% more expensive so I don't think AMD will undercut nvidia by much if any at all.

Associate
If you've enjoyed the 970 till now you should be fine with a mild upgrade rather than going for the brand new. It's not as if you can't play next gen games on old cards. Let others pay those costs ;)

However, buying newest Ryzen CPUs is great value compared to the the previous Intel years. At least we don't have massive inflation there, yet.

Really? Seem to be pricing them in comparison with Intel to me.
Im not expecting to be saving any money switching to Zen3.

Associate
65%? Try 100%. And in reality the difference is even greater than that due to all the extra features the 2070 has AND the bigger memory allows you to use settings the 970 can't even dream about like UHD textures, and in turn also means less stutter etc.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-970.c2620

And keep in mind while it's true a 2070/2060S (same card) is £400 now (new), it's on its way out. In only a few months that £400 will get you closer to 2080 Super performance (or 2080 Ti if you go AMD)! Which would be >150% jump from a 970.

Ah - ok - I was looking at frame rate averages on the following website:

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2070-vs-Nvidia-GTX-970/4029vs2577

The overall performance uplift does state 100%, but looking at the FPS increases some are much lower than 100%, so I added these together to get an average.

Soldato
Zen 2 was great value zen 3 is more expensive than Intel.

However, buying newest Ryzen CPUs is great value compared to the the previous Intel years. At least we don't have massive inflation there, yet.

The new 6 core ryzen costs 50% more than a zen 2 6 core so I would call that massive inflation.

Last edited:
Associate
Zen 2 was great value zen 3 is more expensive than Intel.

The new 6 core ryzen costs 50% more than a zen 2 6 core so I would call that massive inflation.

Yeah that was my take.

Way I see it is AMD were working to get market share based on price, but now they are competing and supposedly winning on performance they have changed strategy.

Certainly not a budget option anymore.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Not sure why people keep saying console locks you in to high prices etc. I spend no more on games for my console than I do for PC.

For example on Xbox, I bought 2 years of gold for less than £60, converted it to game pass ultimate for £1, for 2 years of games on game pass(PC and Xbox). Not bought a single game since. Total cost for gaming on console for 2 years = £61

I then wait for about 6 - 12 months after a game is released, and either buy 2nd hand, or wait for digital sales, and get cheap credit codes from online to buy them with, saving even more money.

I've pre-ordered the new series X, and I bet over the next 1 to 2 years of that I won't spend more than about £100 on games, so for 2 years gaming on a new console it will cost about £550. Far far less than buying a new PC alone.

I'm being drawn further away from PC upgrades now due to cost, I've had 20 years or more upgrading PC's and I think now is the time to step away, it's just too expensive to get a significant improvement for your money over consoles (for me at least)

Associate

Unfortunately AMD have just matched Nvidias pricing on the mainstream cards, so much for "disrupting the 4k market" :mad:

Personally I think I'm going PS5 and will upgrade the PC in the next generation when we can get GPUs for £400-600 that are double+ the consoles performance, not just slightly better.

Associate
Healthy competition should slowly drag prices to a slightly more sensible state. AMD don't have to undercut NVidia, they can just beat them. If NVidia find themselves unable to sell cards at the current pricing they will have to lower the prices. Similar to what's happening at intel. The 8700k launched at $360 the 10600k is basically an identical chip and sells for $250.

Its also worth noting than NVidia have chopped and changed their product stack a bunch since the 970. I don't think the line ups are quite as clear as "the 3070 is the new version of the 970". I mean there were 3 different 2070s, 2060s and 1660s and I'm not sure which of those 9 is the real successor to the 970? if the 1660 is the successor to the 960 does that make the 2060 the 970 successor?

I kind of hate the way computer parts are named. The numbers are almost completely arbitrary and more often than not they swap them around to confuse buyers.

I tend to look at what I'm willing to spend and then see what they will get me and if its worth getting, and ignore the names. Right now that not very much, but we will see if this latest increase in competition will shake things up enough to give us something a little bit more interesting

Associate

I probably should have elaborated there, my bad. Already done for me by Joxeon though :p
Old intel being the poor value. But £/performance ratio i guess we'll have to wait for those benches and actual costs. Looks good if their showcase is anything to go by.

Soldato
It's become a rich man's game unfortunately. I have fond memories of my HD 7850. A real value and performance champ, with great overclocking potential.

With consoles, the only real bargain is the hardware cost. You're still paying £60 for games and a subscription for playing online.

I dunno, if you're a casual gamer and prepared to play old games, theres still value out there.

I paid £12 for the Xbone Ghost Recon Wildlands and played that for hours, and only because it wasn't the latest version of Ghosr Recon, and apparently the later version was worse.

Soldato
I dunno, if you're a casual gamer and prepared to play old games, theres still value out there.

I paid £12 for the Xbone Ghost Recon Wildlands and played that for hours, and only because it wasn't the latest version of Ghosr Recon, and apparently the later version was worse.

A recent project I've had is a PS3 fat, put a SSD in and put CFW on. Loads of good older games on older systems out there.

Associate
I can understand concerns with throwing down that amount for a gpu when you can purchase a new console or a decent laptop for tha amount.

However, 20.. series was a huge shock pricewise and nvidia could have stuck at that price and continued to make a killing based on the normalisation factor.

I've jumped and purchased a 3070, a huge upgrade from my 970, also bough from here for 280 and had that for 5 years.

Now, in my mind £100 per year for a graphics over 5 years is not too shabby. Look at people and mobiles, 24month contracts at £40+ plus with very little benefit over their previous models, stuck in an endless cycle of upgrades when they can, or have to, due to breakages etc.

These cards are behemoths, will last years and could shoot up in price even further due to demand or another variable ie shortages, covid, mining, anything.

I'd bite and buy and thats coming from a guy who hasn't upgraded once in 5 years and usually follow that pattern.

Soldato
don't get too hung up on the marketing names, and instead focus on performance in your price range.

I went from a 970 to a 5700xt which was a bit of a jump cost wise (£350) - but that card even though it's 18 months old now runs almost everything at 60-100fps at near ultra settings. When the new midrange cards drop, would assume they will be 30% faster; and of course they will have much better £/frame ratios.

Soldato
A recent project I've had is a PS3 fat, put a SSD in and put CFW on. Loads of good older games on older systems out there.

Yeah, although I struggle to find the enthusiasm my bro in law does playing the original Colin Mcrae, I have my limits in that regard, there are loads of quality games out there from the last few years.

For me, if a game has to be played at max settings on a 4K monitor at a million FPS, then it's probably not the greatest game anyway.

Associate
PC gaming and custom PC building are increasing in popularity. I think there's a lot of demand that will drive the prices of mid and high end GPUs up and up. It was a lucky set of circumstances that kept the current gen (3070, 3080, 6800, 6800 XT) at similar prices to last gen.

Back
Top Bottom