• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is there a good AMD alternative for Nvidia Game Stream

Associate
I use Nvidia Game Stream quite heavily to stream games at up to 4k60 to my TV using an Nvidia shield. I understand that this works without much of a performance penalty due to Nvenc.

Does AMD have an alternative to this. I'd like a 3080 but due to difficulty in getting one I am considering a 3070 or the 5700/5800XT, though the ability to stream games to my TV is important.

Ideally using the Shield, but would be up for using a low power PC if streaming games at 4k60 is possible without huge performance penalty or huge latency issues.

Any ideas?! :)

Associate
There’s Steam in home streaming or Link or whatever it’s called now. I use it quite a bit, did most of my Death Stranding playthrough on it as that game suits controller/living room.

It works on any system AMD, Nv, Intel, iOS. Not familiar with the Shield or Android in general but if you can install Steam or a ‘Steam Link’ app on it you should be able to try it.

A quick search suggests performance is about the same vs Game Stream, but I will say that I find input lag too high at 4K, could just be my setup though.

One last caveat - I believe Steam Link now uses nvenc if you have an Nvidia gpu which is supposed to be good, no idea if AMD have an equivalent. If not then performance could be slightly worse on AMD.

Soldato
I think AMD's alternative is called AMD Link. If it's any good I don't know. Haven't bothered with streaming over WIFI to my phone as I don't like playing games on handhelds. But I'm sure there are people who have made reviews of it.

Associate
There’s Steam in home streaming or Link or whatever it’s called now. I use it quite a bit, did most of my Death Stranding playthrough on it as that game suits controller/living room.

It works on any system AMD, Nv, Intel, iOS. Not familiar with the Shield or Android in general but if you can install Steam or a ‘Steam Link’ app on it you should be able to try it.
It also works on a Raspberry Pi, if you want to go cheap. I've used the Steam Link app on a Raspberry Pi 4, was OK over a wired connection when I tried Warframe out on the TV downstairs. Didn't try it with the home wifi.

Associate
OP
Using Nvidia Game Stream or Moonlight I can play things like Forza Horizon in 4K and the visual difference (at least to me from the sofa!) is imperceptible. Stream is at 80Mbps.
I use a utility called VirtualHere to connect my input devices to my computer over Ethernet, which does reduce input latency using them over the stream.

Has anyone here ever tried Steam in home streaming at 4K with an AMD card and been happy with video quality and input latency? A quick google hasn't been favourable, but most info I've found is old.

If not I'll guess I'm stuck with Nvidia!

Back
Top Bottom