How to record music from a digital piano?

Associate
I'm not sure this is the correct part of the forum, but here goes...

I want to record my son playing his digital piano. He wants to record Amazing Grace to play at my father's funeral next week. So I need to get a music file on a usb stick, or email, for the Crematorium to play on their PA system. I don't know what system they have, but we've been asked to select the other music from a website called Wesley Media, so presumably they have the capability to play media files.

The piano is a Kawai CN27 and it has Bluetooth, USB to host port, headphone and MIDI IN/OUT.

What's the simplest/best way to get it done? (Preferably free.) I have a Windows 10 laptop.

I'm watching you tube at the moment, but it appears MIDI is not the way to go as it doesn't actually give me a recording of the sound as we hear it?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks. As it happens, I've just started installing that.

When I connect the piano to my laptop via the USB cable the laptop detects a device, but windows reports a malfunction and it's not recognised - driver issue? Should software solve that?

Associate
I just took a look at the manual and it appears the USB is for midi only, so the best way in that case is via the headphone socket and into the mic input on the laptop. Otherwise you'll need additional software and it gets too complicated.

The driver side is plug and play (no official downloads anyway)

Associate
OP
Popped into our local music store and came away with a usb microphone and stand. My kids were after one anyway for messing around creating you tube videos, streaming etc, so thought I'd give it a go.

It does work, in a fashion, but will require some proper setup to reduce household noise, etc.

I've also been looking at something like the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or 4i4. The latter, I think, is more future-proof, but about £70 more expensive and isn't available in installments from Amazon.

Associate
Cheers, I'll give that a go.

Edit: No mic input on either of my laptops. :(

Are you quite sure? If it has a single jack, then it is almost certainly a combo port. If you search on the internet for "headphone mic splitter cable" you'll find something like this:

tCxCgQh.png

Alternatively you can record the MIDI output via USB using software like Reaper (not free, but has a very generous trial), and use a virtual piano plugin to export it to a WAV file. If you're recording a vocal as well then you're probably going to be dealing with some form of multitrack audio anyway.

Associate
OP
I'm not 100% sure what you're suggesting. The piano has a headphone socket - are you saying run a cable from this to the mic cable of a splitter like you mention?

Associate
OP
Tried it. Hasn't worked. It could be a matter of choosing the wrong input in the settings, but i've tried them all and nothing is passing through.

Associate
OP
I ended up ordering a Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 and a headphone Y-Splitter (TRS stereo to 2x TR mono) and it's worked a treat. It'll do the immediate job, but will also hopefully see him through the years to come as he likes his music and production.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom