The Sony A73/A7R3/A7S3/A9 Thread

Caporegime
Eye-Af works, I only used animal AF with native lenses but I suspect that works too.

When i say "not as good" I mean in terms of speed, how quick it acquire focus, how often and is it correct. When it is not as good, i mean sometimes like with the 100L, it would zoom in and out looking for focus then stops with everything still blur. That's just not right. Or it focuses and it is not the spot you placed the focus point on, and how often this happens.

Honestly, if it happens more than like 1-2%, it would get on my nerves. With mirrorless I expect a stationary subject to nail it almost every single time. On a moving subject my tolerance would be happy at about 70%, with the Canon 5D4 my expectations was more like 50% in the real world. You can understand why I like mirrorless now, the number of shots in focus dramatically improves. When that focus point lights up, it is 99% of the time a true indication of it being 100% in focus.

Soldato
Thanks Raymond. Yeah, I definitely have the bug now to get mirrorless. I'm considering the A6600. I'm not keen on it's small form factor or viewfinder to the left. But ticks most other boxes for me. Real time tracking eye and animal AF which is meant to be better and more accurate than the A7lll. I think it's the same as what the A9 has. IBIS is useful. And crop factor is useful because it would extend my 70-300 by 1.5x. There's a bunch of them on mpb (that probably shows it's not a popular camera) for only £1200 in like new condition.

Associate
Looks like Sony Winter Cashback is now on. A possible £300 on an A7mk3 + 24-105 lens. Plus there's a welcome to Sony Lenses cashback of £100 which says it can be used with other offers. I'm really tempted now...maybe with a Black Friday/Cyber Monday deal thrown in...

Looking to upgrade from a 7D for Sony's so highly rated AF.

Caporegime
Looks like Sony Winter Cashback is now on. A possible £300 on an A7mk3 + 24-105 lens. Plus there's a welcome to Sony Lenses cashback of £100 which says it can be used with other offers. I'm really tempted now...maybe with a Black Friday/Cyber Monday deal thrown in...

Looking to upgrade from a 7D for Sony's so highly rated AF.
Ding dong. Now to find the cheapest price from a partnering shop....

Associate
I opened a 'very' account, left it for a while and didn't spend anything then they sent a 20% off voucher.
Got the A7iii for 1400, then with sony cashback should end up costing 1200. Sold the A7II for 650 so all in all not too bad.

Associate
That's an amazing idea. I'll give that a go...

I can get body only, on 12months buy now pay later, for £1,443.98. (It appears to be on offer, then I get 10% 'WELCOME' discount.) Then £200 Sony Cashback. Assuming Very is on the list of eligible retailers*. Tempted...

* I've just checked and it is.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I opened a 'very' account, left it for a while and didn't spend anything then they sent a 20% off voucher.
Got the A7iii for 1400, then with sony cashback should end up costing 1200. Sold the A7II for 650 so all in all not too bad.

I have a 20% off voucher from them cancelling my MSI 3090 order........tempting. I could do with a second body.

Just seen the A7iii is now only £1279 with the 20% and then £1079 with the cashback.

Caporegime
For those without the 20% voucher........
  • £1600 for the A7iii body at Very
  • £1440 with Very's introductory 10% discount
  • £1240 with Sony's £200 cash back offer
  • £1080 with Quidco's 10% cash back but this one sounds too good to be true so need to verify
Edit - hhhmmm despite having a good credit score, Very is only offering me £750 credit :confused::(

Edit - can anyone find a better price for the Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 - £589 (e-infinity)?

Last edited:
Soldato
  • £1080 with Quidco's 10% cash back but this one sounds too good to be true so need to verify
Edit - hhhmmm despite having a good credit score, Very is only offering me £750 credit :confused::(

Edit - can anyone find a better price for the Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 - £589 (e-infinity)?

Wex have a used but mint condition one for £576.
https://www.wexphotovideo.com/tamron-28-75mm-f2-8-di-iii-rxd-lens-sony-e-fit-used-1756293/

Soldato

Complete steal if you can get the A7iii for £1080, can't be beat at that price i don't think.

Associate
I forgot about TCB - I think I might have to pull the trigger on this; but part of me thinks I should wait for Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

Associate
A7iii Body Only ordered from Very.

It's not in stock until 13th November, so I've got time to have second, third, forth...thoughts.

Now, lenses...

Caporegime
Tamron 28-75 f2.8 if you want a decent all-rounder.

TCB/Quidco offer won't work if a voucher code is used at check out, so it would be £1240 from Very (if you use the 10% voucher) which is still good. Unsure what warranty Very offer though.

Last edited:
Caporegime
A7iii Body Only ordered from Very.

It's not in stock until 13th November, so I've got time to have second, third, forth...thoughts.

Now, lenses...
Forgot to ask - did the 10% code work? As I have just seen some small writing for that offer state 'excluded from sale items'.

Edit - thanks @BadMojo :)

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah, 'WELCOME' worked. I'm hoping as it's an official Very code that it won't effect TCB. But we'll see.

Sony are offering a one year warranty extension via online redemption, so imagine that'd make it at least 2 years, maybe 3.

Last edited:
Soldato
Tamron 28-75 f2.8 if you want a decent all-rounder.

TCB/Quidco offer won't work if a voucher code is used at check out, so it would be £1240 from Very (if you use the 10% voucher) which is still good. Unsure what warranty Very offer though.

Great all rounder from my experience; particularly fantastic at night. Starbursts are crisp and bright and considered capable for astrophotography:

http://www.roseandcharles.com/tamron-28-75mm-f2-8-review/

Last edited:
Associate
It's a big thread and I'm working my way through it, but does anyone have any recommendations for a canon lens adapter? I'm going to save for some Sony glass, but in the meantime will need to be able to use my Canon lenses, or the body will be sat there doing nothing!

From my limited research the loss of fast, accurate, dependable AF is a major issue when using non-sony lenses (and improved AF is why I've bought this body) but I don't really want to spend several hundred pounds on an adapter as I see myself ultimately selling my Canon gear.

Caporegime
It's a big thread and I'm working my way through it, but does anyone have any recommendations for a canon lens adapter? I'm going to save for some Sony glass, but in the meantime will need to be able to use my Canon lenses, or the body will be sat there doing nothing!

From my limited research the loss of fast, accurate, dependable AF is a major issue when using non-sony lenses (and improved AF is why I've bought this body) but I don't really want to spend several hundred pounds on an adapter as I see myself ultimately selling my Canon gear.

Sigma MC-11

Back
Top Bottom