• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDH

DDH

Associate
AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT Graphics Cards Custom Models From AIBs Could Be Greenlit Soon – RX 6000 Series Rumored To Have Limited Stock at Launch

https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-...els-in-talks-rx-6000-limited-stock-at-launch/

AMD will have same problem as Nvidia with limited RX 6800 and RX 6800 XT stock at launch, you wont be able to get one until December or later into 2021, you will have to pre-order to get in the queue to get RX 6800 and RX 6800 XT cards.

As usual it's all speculation with no actual facts

Soldato
I think you got confused somewhere.

which bit?

there is a reason why Kingpin posted a port royal score screenshot for the 3090 kingpin. The game could well be up for Nvidia firestrike/timespy scores dominating the top 100 and Port Royal could be the last holdout.

Associate
https://www.amd.com/en/gaming/graphics-gaming-benchmarks

AMD has a drop down with games and resolutions comparing them against each other.

This makes me even more sceptical about there benchmarks - for instance i know with my 3090 and 10900k at 1440p that i get more FPS on average than what they are advertising with the same settings... Unless the Zen 3 and 6900XT is significantly worse than 10900k and 3090 combined in this instance?

Also any reason why they benchmark BFV with DX11 and not DX12?

This isn't me trying to fanboy my build as i think its all benefit to the consumer if each other are trading blows!

Associate
which bit?

there is a reason why Kingpin posted a port royal score screenshot for the 3090 kingpin. The game could well be up for Nvidia firestrike/timespy scores dominating the top 100 and Port Royal could be the last holdout.
about what the article you linked was referring to.

Soldato

AMD has a drop down with games and resolutions comparing them against each other.

This makes me even more sceptical about there benchmarks - for instance i know with my 3090 and 10900k at 1440p that i get more FPS on average than what they are advertising with the same settings... Unless the Zen 3 and 6900XT is significantly worse than 10900k and 3090 combined in this instance?

This isn't me trying to fanboy my build as i think its all benefit to the consumer if each other are trading blows!

I think they will use the results that flatter them the most without blowing their trumpets too much as they obviously know that at some point reviewers will be doing their own tests and comparisons so they are nice to see as a baseline but its always best to wait for them to get into reviewers hands first. And due to the fact that you can also get better results teaming them with the new Zen CPU's the testing/results are going to be even more complicated/diluted...

Soldato
I saw one of OCUK's competitors mention that they had 60,000 people trying to buy the 3070 at launch.... that's insane! They had captcha etc too so one assumes not too much by way of bots.

However much stock AMD have it's not going to be anywhere close to enough if that's any guide.

You can bet someone there did the sums on how much they could have made if they'd had that much stock. Good business to be in at the moment.

Soldato
Wrong, Freesync came from Adaptive-Sync VESA open standard.

NVIDIA took that standard, added to it, made it proprietary by adding GSYNC mode for $$$$

https://www.howtogeek.com/228735/g-sync-and-freesync-explained-variable-refresh-rates-for-gaming/#:~:text=of V-Sync.-,NVIDIA's G-Sync and AMD's FreeSync,display that supports G-Sync.

I rest my case M-Lud ;)

Actually you are wrong.

The adaptive-sync wasn't added to the VESA display port standard until May/June 2014. Nvidia announced Gsync in October 2013 and released the first module in January 2014.

Soldato

AMD is very confident to post their result up on their own website. This is the first time I've seen them do this. And from the results posted so far seems very fair.
So moving forward it would appear that with developer relations games will be more optimized for AMD ecosystem. People tend to forget that intel still has developer relationship with game developers.
Contrary to popular belief AMD does need better optimizationswith their CPUs more so than they gpus. Imo

This is going to get interesting by New Year.

Soldato

In games where there is no benchmark mode it's always going to be open to playing the system - you could give the frames you got in a light area vs the competition in a much heavier area and not technically be lying. Even without deliberate deception it's going to vary and what they show there may have been in proportionally more demanding sections of the game than what you see on average or vice versa.

Where there is a standard benchmark (assuming they are using it!) like GoW 5, the results should be much closer to a standardised system. Do you have GoW 5 to compare against what they claim for the 3090 because that would be interesting to see?

Re the API, not sure but in their presentation they said they compared "our best API vs their best API"... every other bench is either DX12 or Vulcan so why Battlefield V is DX11 I don't know.

As always you can't really rely on company provided benchmarks, so just wait for independent ones. All the AMD ones do is show us that they have some pretty damn good cards, but exactly how they compare is yet to be seen.

Soldato
Actually you are wrong.

The adaptive-sync wasn't added to the VESA display port standard until May/June 2014. Nvidia announced Gsync in October 2013 and released the first module in January 2014.

Nope, don't think I am old bean ;) unless your claiming VESA backward engineered NVIDIA code and removed the hardware portion I'm not sure what you point is?

I didn't say who was first just that AMD Freesync came from VESA standard.

I think what's more likely is that NVIDIA saw the upcoming VESA standard thought, "oooh that I good idea, let make in proprietary by adding GSYNC module so we can monetize it".

https://www.anandtech.com/show/8008...andard-variable-refresh-monitors-move-forward

In fact that exactly what they did, read the above, NVIDIA just did the first proprietary deployment of what VESA (+ others) had been working on for years, they're just slow to add to their standard (no surprise there, its VESA)

Last edited:
Associate
Well, assuming they're to be trusted, based on leaked 3DMark scores where the 6800 outperforms the 3090 on Fire Strike Ultra but scores lower than the 3080 by a good 800 points in Time Spy Extreme, I'd assume because the 6000 series gets better results under DX11 than it does under 12

Soldato

Is your setup overclocked under custom water? I imagine they'll pitch the results at the average a normal user can expect with that hardware. Enthusiasts will always do better.

Soldato
about what the article you linked was referring to.

Just to clarify. The article is implying that as it stands, Galax can't sell a 6900XT Hall Of Fame - Championship Edition (or whatever the V.I.P bencher card with unlimited voltage/power-limit would be called). My point is AMD need to support someone like Galax to make this happen as there is a good chance, if they did, that an all AMD system under LN2 could take plenty of spots in the top 100.

Associate
In games where there is no benchmark mode it's always going to be open to playing the system - you could give the frames you got in a light area vs the competition in a much heavier area and not technically be lying. Even without deliberate deception it's going to vary and what they show there may have been in proportionally more demanding sections of the game than what you see on average or vice versa.

Where there is a standard benchmark (assuming they are using it!) like GoW 5, the results should be much closer to a standardised system. Do you have GoW 5 to compare against what they claim for the 3090 because that would be interesting to see?

Re the API, not sure but in their presentation they said they compared "our best API vs their best API"... every other bench is either DX12 or Vulcan so why Battlefield V is DX11 I don't know.

As always you can't really rely on company provided benchmarks, so just wait for independent ones. All the AMD ones do is show us that they have some pretty damn good cards, but exactly how they compare is yet to be seen.

Unfortunately i dont have GoW 5 otherwise i would bench it and see. I did bench SOTR to compare and it is relative to theres, i was at 160, my 3090 is a gigabyte eagle. One thing to note it doesn't say what 3090 they were using as with the 3080 and 70 they both state FE.

Benches are going to be super interesting and can't wait to see them myself but i am not sure that this whole "RIP Nvidia" is valid yet.

Regardless what people actually decide to get everyone should hopefully enjoy there new improvments to there systems :)

Associate
Is your setup overclocked under custom water? I imagine they'll pitch the results at the average a normal user can expect with that hardware. Enthusiasts will always do better.

My CPU is running at 5.1Ghz cooling is Corsair H150i Pro. I am running the 3090 Eagle at stock, haven't touched the fans curve or looked at OCing it yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom