Motion Sickness

Associate
OP
I'm playing through virtual desktop using 90hz and am getting 866mbp/s, I'll check the numbers but think everything is fine.
I'm using continuous movement using my head for direction, the teleport thing seemed like a dumb idea and couldn't work out why anyone would want that...think I've worked out why now.
Weirdly I didn't have any issues in project cars 2 or Dirt Rally 2 but felt weird as soon as I moved on half life

Soldato
Get a fan, flowing air seems to have an effect. Watch that smooth turning too, that's the killer imo. Driving for hundreds of hours made me immune to seemingly everything, i think it's a good place to start, but we're all different.

You know you're over it once you conquer No Limits 2 and have fun on the inversions:cool:

Soldato
Ah yeah, jumping straight in with smooth movement will mess with most people to be honest... I also personally hate using my head for direction so do play around with various settings and see how they feel to you. If you want to keep using the smooth locomotion then just build up to it, you can still teleport using the smooth option so maybe just do a bit of smooth then switch over to teleporting if you start to feel funny.

Also wireless on the quest has the great advantage of not tangling you up. Force yourself to get used to turning in real life rather than yawing with the stick and it'll feel more natural. If you do use the stick to turn you may find snap turning more comfortable than smooth.

Re Project cars/Dirt, they have the cockpit to ground you in the world despite the external movement. Cockpit based games are generally much better tolerated than free movement.

Do just check you aren't dropping to half frame rate, 90fps at quest 2 resolutions is demanding on your system.

Associate
Re Project cars/Dirt, they have the cockpit to ground you in the world despite the external movement. Cockpit based games are generally much better tolerated than free movement.
Agreed. The mind is smart, but it can be confused too. Because VR takes over your major senses (seeing, hearing) and puts you there, it has to mostly react to what it sees there, even if it knows it isn`t real. It`ll be fine with things that make sense, like you`re in a car in a driving game, especially if you`re sat down. But if you`re walking about, the mind wants to know that you`re walking too or it starts to try and balance you, so you don`t fall over. It sees you walking but feels you not walking and the "gyro" in us becomes confused and you feel sick. This can even be more stark for a new user where the very basic lizard mind will auto-react.

Heck I remember when first starting VR, I`d played a few games, then tried my first zombie game. I told myself over and over again it was not real. I was doing ok. Then I was in a room, searching, and a zombie burst through the door and came at me. In shock I fumbled and dropped my gun, and as the zombie came at me, I frantically turned and ran - for real! Straight into the room wall! lol. That was my lizard brain fight or flight acting over the conscious that knew it wasn`t real.

My subconscious and conscious are better trained now!

It would be fascinating to do a paper on how the conscious and sub conscious mind works on the Human mind in a VR game, especially regarding motion.

Associate
OP
Got some ginger beer now so will see if that helps, it's quite nice actually so thanks for that tip.
Haven't managed to run into a wall yet but I did punch one playing super hot (haven't got a massive play area).
Managed about an hour if Alyx doing the walking on the spot thing and actually turning which seemed to help. I will take it slow and hopefully get over it in time because I'm absolutely loving VR.

Back
Top Bottom