**** Official OnePlus 8/OnePlus 8 Pro Thread ****

Associate
Has anyone gone from a Pixel 4XL to the OP8 and regretted it? Thinking about going for the 8T, but undecided as there’s nothing really wrong with my Pixel - just fancy a change!

Soldato
The Pro is down to £649 on the rainforest. Can't decide between this and the Xperia 5 ii. Decisions, decisions...

They are totally different sized devices, which should help narrow it down. I haven't handled the 5ii but owned the 8 Pro for a while. It's a nice device and feels premium. For me, the curved screen was too much and the camera was not good. If I had to choose between the two I would now go for the Sony.

Amazon are good with returns, so you could always try the 8 Pro and send it back if it's not what you want. In spite of my negative points, I was sorely tempted to buy the 8 Pro (again) when it was £650 a couple of weeks ago. However i bought an S20 FE instead.

Associate
They are totally different sized devices, which should help narrow it down. I haven't handled the 5ii but owned the 8 Pro for a while. It's a nice device and feels premium. For me, the curved screen was too much and the camera was not good. If I had to choose between the two I would now go for the Sony.

Amazon are good with returns, so you could always try the 8 Pro and send it back if it's not what you want. In spite of my negative points, I was sorely tempted to buy the 8 Pro (again) when it was £650 a couple of weeks ago. However i bought an S20 FE instead.

Thanks for this. Width wise the Pro is the same as my current Pixel 3 XL so I reckon I could get away with the extra height. The curved screen is definitely a negative, but the face unlock looks good and it would at least be something different. The range of views on the camera amaze me, from dreadful to amazing!

I'm now off to look at the S20 FE!

Man of Honour
I'm on 10.5.14 and have been for a couple months. Next update will be the big Android 11 I believe with new oxygen skin.

Oxygen 11 is available via the updater. Nice to have AOD available, although will see what sort of toll it takes on battery life. Version is Oxygen OS 11.IN21BA

EYHYYfM.jpg

Associate
Bit late to the party but I've just put an Ibywind screen protector on mine. Easy install, perfect fit, and a massive improvement over the factory fitted protector. Feels great and gestures work so much more reliably. Can't recommend it enough.

Soldato
Hey folks - newbie to the OnePlus range here... I have ordered the OP8 Pro - having come from the Pixel range (2XL/3XL/4XL) I hesitated about the Pixel 5, bought it, and returned it the next day as I just couldn't get on with the size of it.
Whilst I generally don't like curved screens, there was not really many other choices, I didn't want a Samsung, nor iPhone etc.

Anyhow! When I changed from Pixel to Pixel, I simply used my google backup, so during the inital setup, I logged in and it brought all my apps/email/messages etc over to the new phone, albeit took a while but it did it. Is this going be the same with the OP8 ? Or am I going to need to do the whole create a OnePlus account thing etc? I know you can generally use apps to migrate from phone to phone but I did find the google way quite easy (and very Apple-esque!)

I am not massively into the ecosystem as such, I just use Google Photos (will sort that on the OP8) and the App Gmail for all my mail accounts, again I can just use that the same anyway. The rest is just browsing/games/youtube etc.

I realise I am going to lose the photo quality, but I am not sure I am too fussed about that, as I personally thought my other half's P30 Pro took better photos! Hopefully the form factor and speed will make up for it, I liked the 4XL but miss the fingerprint sensor.

Back
Top Bottom