• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Nope, don't think I am old bean ;) unless your claiming VESA backward engineered NVIDIA code and removed the hardware portion I'm not sure what you point is?

I didn't say who was first just that AMD Freesync came from VESA standard.

I think what's more likely is that NVIDIA saw the upcoming VESA standard thought, "oooh that I good idea, let make in proprietary by adding GSYNC module so we can monetize it".

https://www.anandtech.com/show/8008...andard-variable-refresh-monitors-move-forward

In fact that exactly what they did, read the above, NVIDIA just did the first proprietary deployment of what VESA (+ others) had been working on for years, they're just slow to add to their standard (no surprise there, its VESA)

And how could VESA be working on it for years when AMD only submitted the proposal to VESA in November 2013? And it took two more years before the adaptive sync standard from the desktop became part of the eDP standard. (eDP 1.4)

You said that Nvidia took that standard, The adaptive sync standard, and added to it and made their proprietary module. Again, how could Nvidia do that when the standard didn't even exist at the time?

Soldato
I said "upcoming standard", NVIDA saw the direction VESA were going in (before it became and standard) and beat VESA to the punch by introducing a propriety standard.

Last edited:
Soldato
If more frames is the goal, then set settings to "low" and go above 100fps even with relatively weak hardware. :) But not many want that, do they? They still want higher image quality.

Mentioning just "lightning" is very broad and inaccurate. Shortly, here's from AMD own presentation the difference that it makes when it comes to shadows alone - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHpgu-cTjyM&feature=youtu.be&t=1099 .

There a lot of lights that don't cast shadows in current games, reflections are also quite bad since they're done in screen space and whenever you're having a dynamic time of day (so you can't bake in the lighting in the scene), there are plenty of situations when stuff is just... off.

Majority of the people haven't really played with RT yet in games such as Metro or Control to see for themselves the difference and it seems like they're just accepting opinions/facts that are only enforcing their view and nothing much beyond that. :)

PS: Ray Tracing or Path Tracing should also lower the time it takes to build a game - or at least it should, when that's the only way you're doing it.

Shadows are the absence of light, so I'm not sure that makes my statement broad or inaccurate.

And actually the implementation of ray tracing is selective and takes time to optimize, much like standard lighting effects. You don't just turn it on for the whole game like some people suggest, unlike you like seconds per frame rather than frames per second.

Associate
Indeed benches are looking good. Bodes well for my ps5, hoping to see more about the super resolution feature soon.

Also playing at 3440x1440 on my pc so an AMD upgrade for that side is looking nice, maybe next year.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've got a 3900x with 5700xt right now. Also on an x570 board

Due to the SAM and "Rage" mode bonuses - It makes sense to me to get a 6800xt and 5900x to get the absolute most out of my system :D

Also I'll need a 144hz monitor to handle this...I play on 34" UW 1440p as well...don't forget a block for the GPU as well.

RIP Wallet tbh.

Ah well, I'll make a bit of money back selling the 3900x and 5700xt + block

Soldato
AMD done Good, wait for official benchmarks for confirmation.

get

Soldato
I've got a 3900x with 5700xt right now. Also on an x570 board
Due to the SAM and "Rage" mode bonuses - It makes sense to me to get a 6800xt and 5900x to get the absolute most out of my system :D

So I did understand that right its Ryzen 5xxx + X570 Motherboard and 6xxx series gpu for SAM and Rage ?

Didnt include a B550 Board ?

You can see why AMD have done it to offer you the best scenario to make the most money but you have to spend and commit to AMD.

Soldato

Anyone who has a 3080 on order must be crazy to not cancel after seeing these results, especially the 1440P numbers. Knowing how AMD finewine drivers improve over time, I know for sure that the 6800XT will be hitting close to the 3090 within 6 months. With next gen consoles having the same gpu architecture we can expect more games to favour the AMD cards.

Just look at the Gears 5 and Borderlands 3 results and you will get a glimpse of the future.

Associate
Was initially put off the price of the 6800xt but having weighed it all up and given the fact I am skipping Xbox this gen due to game pass on pc etc defo going sapphire 6800xt. Hoping to pay around 650. Having kids destroys your resale though. Youngest has bagged my PS4 pro and eldest wants my Vega 56

Caporegime
If any accuracy, looking very good for AMD. Still, I would wait and see whats what on review day before getting overly excited as these are probably best case scenarios.

Want to see them on a non Zen 3, with their performance boosting SMA off, still impressive though, for how far they've come.

AMD done Good, wait for official benchmarks for confirmation.

get

:D

EDIT: anyone else keep getting logged out, when trying to post ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom