Sky gives "The Chop" . . . the chop.

Capodecina
Soldato
Sky will not broadcast its TV carpentry contest The Chop after an investigation into a contestant's face tattoos found they "could be connected to far-right ideologies". (LINK)
Two questions spring to mind immediately:
  1. What on Earth possesses someone to have white supremacist symbols tattooed on their face?
  2. How on Earth did Sky fail to notice this when they put the show together?
Absolute madness on every front :rolleyes:

Capodecina
Soldato
  1. What on Earth possesses someone to have white supremacist symbols tattooed on their face

All kinds of reasons. I don't know the people in the series, but most people do so to show off their beliefs, to intimidate others and also to show the network that they're part of [a lot of tattooists refuse to do facial tattoos].

Permabanned
Sky should just go against the grain on this one, take a leaf out of Donald Trump's book, otherwise this cancel happy culture will really take root.

Soldato
Darren Lumsden, from North Somerset, was seen with the number 88 on his cheek. As H is the eighth letter of the alphabet, the number can be used by white supremacists as numerical code for "Heil Hitler".

As the Nazis frequently used the colour red, and red is also in the OcUK logo, I believe this is quite obviously linked to far right groups

Soldato
If you read about the rest of the tattoos @Roar87 , there'd have to be an awful lot of coincidence for them to not be white supremacist symbols.
Having just one and having a reasonable excuse is fair enough, he said his Father died in '88. There's been a news story that his father is still alive, that compounded with all the other ones, it's pretty clear these aren't coincidental.

Who knows, maybe he won the show? And therefore they doubly had to make sure it got cancelled.

Soldato
If you read about the rest of the tattoos

Care to share this? The Sky article and BBC article I read earlier doesn't go into any further detail. At first, I assumed it was a very knee jerk reaction but if there is more info that they aren't reporting on it would be interesting to see.

Commissario
As the Nazis frequently used the colour red, and red is also in the OcUK logo, I believe this is quite obviously linked to far right groups
One such tattoo is possibly purely coincidence, a whole bunch of them done in the specific style and using what are common neo nazi "codes" not so much.

It's the same sort of thing as the "prison" tattoos, you might get the odd idiot who sees something and thinks it looks good so gets one done in the style of a prison/Russian mob tattoo (in the same way you get people who have various Chinese/Japanese kanji tattoos done where they don't realise it says "silly" rather than "prince" or whatever). but once you start to cover your entire face/body with them it goes beyond the realms of chance.

Soldato
Care to share this? The Sky article and BBC article I read earlier doesn't go into any further detail. At first, I assumed it was a very knee jerk reaction but if there is more info that they aren't reporting on it would be interesting to see.
Hang on I'll try and find it.

Commissario

IIRC the key factors are.
The number codes - 88 is a common neo nazi code (think what letter is 8), that IIRC was originally a code to avoid straight out saying/showing what you meant.
The other numbers he's got tattooed on are also common in the neo nazi circles for other reasons, and once you know about the first one the others spring out.
Then there is the style of them, which again is pretty much the standard for that sort of tattoo (and chosen because it's one that's used by, yup, the nazi party).

Once you realise that, it's like understanding any of the various cultural code systems used by groups that are either illegal (for good or bad reasons), or not something that's seen as acceptable/normal.

Associate
If you read about the rest of the tattoos @Roar87 , there'd have to be an awful lot of coincidence for them to not be white supremacist symbols.
Having just one and having a reasonable excuse is fair enough, he said his Father died in '88. There's been a news story that his father is still alive, that compounded with all the other ones, it's pretty clear these aren't coincidental.

Who knows, maybe he won the show? And therefore they doubly had to make sure it got cancelled.

:D if true.

Caporegime
I gave him the benefit of the doubt when he said it was the year his father died, but then his father came forward and said he's not even dead. :p Amazing.

Soldato
I wonder if Sky would have pulled the show if any of the actors had black supremacist symbols tattooed on their face?

I'm getting fed up of all the 'black music awards' type things. Isnt there currently a 'black TV season' on one of the channels?
If this was any other race, would it be acceptible? ...White music awards, Asian history month etc.

Soldato

To be fair I read the link in the OP and the one mentioned at the time was just about what I quoted, fair play though if he's literally a Nazi.

Permabanned
All the more reason to cancel Sky and the TV license. I bet you had he of got a Pol Pot, Mao, Stalin or Mugabe tatoo no one would bat an eyelid. But far right? Man the decks sailors a mortal enemy of the left leaning press is off the starboard bow!!!

What happened to freedom of expression and opinion? I am not defending anyone because if you had a tattoo i disagree with i still respect your freedom. These people are anti western values and need destroyed.

Cancel culture is as bad as Islamism. Also i had to laugh at the quota based racial theme of the contestants. All equally split into thier Black and White category to represent that Britain is 50% black of course! :(

Soldato
Is post production not enough to blend it in, that would add significant costs I guess

I think having a white supremacist on the show in general is considered poor form. Then there's the significantly worse optics around it being okay if we just loosely cover over the white supremacy in post production. "It's okay guys, we've covered the nazism with make up, now he's just like you and me!"

Back
Top Bottom