The Official Pizza Discussion thread (was: Cooking Neapolitan Pizzas with the Uuni 3)

Man of Honour
Having run out of caputo, I used a bag of Waitrose pasta flour that I had knocking around. Didn't have high hopes but found it to be excellent.

Man of Honour
Wasn't keen on the way he rubbed his hands together to get the flour off seemingly all over the pizza! Oven seemed to do the trick even if the pizza wasn't the most appetising. Big old thing to have knocking around the kitchen though.

Associate
We're aiming to get a pizza oven and we have been looking at the koda due to size and seemingly good quality.

One question is related to the clip above. How do you get the pizza onto the peel effectively?

We make pizzas in the oven at present and I always find that the getting the raw pizza onto the stone is a real pain. Do people use a wooden peel to make the pizza on and then use a metal one to turn and remove?

He seemed to have a problem with the pizza deforming as he pushed the metal peel underneath it.

Soldato
He seemed to have a problem with the pizza deforming as he pushed the metal peel underneath it.
I think he'd done that before , my dough would rip with such re-adjustment, especially with a perforated pelle
I put the dough on the semolina'd pell and then add toppings.

Rachel Khoo Naples, last night, rerun it seems, just smoked Moz (seems tescos do it) & olive oil , 45s oven, then lemon-rind+truffle - a 'white' pizza

edit: ah - ok
The main benefits of a perforated pizza peel is that it get's rid of excess flour, lets the pizza slide off the peel easily, is lighter than a solid peel, and causes less condensation.

Soldato
@gailjon Yes it's as you say people often make a plywood or similar launching peel that you can assemble/dress you pizza on then get into the oven. Typically a coarse flour like cornmeal is used to make launching easy. Then use a metal peel for the turning during cooking.

As for turning the semolina or cornmeal makes the pizza less likely to stick to you stone so the risk of deformation is reduced.

I find the multi peel approach works well as it cuts the time between pizzas significantly.

Soldato
OP
We're aiming to get a pizza oven and we have been looking at the koda due to size and seemingly good quality.

One question is related to the clip above. How do you get the pizza onto the peel effectively?

We make pizzas in the oven at present and I always find that the getting the raw pizza onto the stone is a real pain. Do people use a wooden peel to make the pizza on and then use a metal one to turn and remove?

Too much friction will be the issue and there are some easy fixes really.

If you are using a wooden peel to launch your pizza into the oven then make a mix up of some coarse semolina flour and the flour you made for the dough then scrub it gently into the wooden peel. Once you have shaped your dough ball into the base, transfer it onto the peel, put on your sauce and toppings (not too heavy) and then it will go into your oven no problem.

If you using an all metal peel again pretty easy fix for you. Shape your base again as you would and then lift the edge closest to you and put the smallest amount of flour / semolina underneath the rim. Then in a quick motion, slide your peel underneath.

The reason for the flour is that it sits in between your peel and the base. Makes it easy to get the base on the peel then the pizza into the oven. Basically stop it sticking to the peel when launching.

Soldato
For extraction : it might be irreverent, but, unless you have a brick oven, requiring reach,
I just get the pizza out with the type of spatula you use in a frying pan, just take care to support it in the middle, and not drop it.

Associate
I just got a perforated metal peel from the start, it's really easy once you've watched a few YouTube videos to get the technique right. Also I just tried some nduja at home today, I normally just have Margherita but that's some good stuff, nice kick in the aftertaste.

Soldato
OP
I just got a perforated metal peel from the start, it's really easy once you've watched a few YouTube videos to get the technique right. Also I just tried some nduja at home today, I normally just have Margherita but that's some good stuff, nice kick in the aftertaste.

Good stuff. I upgraded my Ooni to a bigger wood fired oven and the perforated peel is fantastic addition

Soldato
OP
What pellets are people using? Almost ran out, ooni ones seem a bit pricey.

Ooni ones are quite expensive. When I used that Ooni 3 I was recommended to use Balcas Brites that you can get from your local Wolseley Centre. A lot of people on the Ooni forums / facebook group recommended them.

https://www.wolseley.co.uk/product/balcas-brites-wood-pellet-bag-10kg/

My experience was that they were quite good. Out of five bags, two were a little hit and miss. Maybe they had not been stored properly so we got some yellow smoke due to damp pellets. The other three were ok. Not bad for £5.00

Soldato
Guessing worth waiting for black Friday sales to pick up a koda. Is the 16 worth another 150quid on top of the standard one? Is it just extra size?

Associate
Even if you're only doing 12 inch pizza I'd go for the 16, it's insanely hot at the back so it's nice to have a bit more space away from the flame.

Back
Top Bottom