help finding a router to use with Virgin Media

Hello,

I've been researching this and I need some help.

Basically I have Virgin 350 broadband and horrific speeds on wifi, had new router and engineer out and it refuses to let more than 10 devices connect to it (wired and wifi), any more than 10 and it struggles to let them all access the internet. A few devices that are connected will show full signal but won't load anything and I have to turn wifi off and on again on the devices to kind of re-establish connection, it isn't on a specific device. It could be anything conencted to it.

I live in a mid terrace house and get 2-3 bars of signal at the furthest part of the home so range isn't an issue (or maybe it is)

What I need help with is finding a router for my needs. I read some that say Router A is better than router B because Router A has more usb ports or cloud storage etc. I have fairly basic needs.

I need a router that has:
1. 4x ethernet ports
2. good wifi speeds
3. Good gaming performance. I play on my gaming pc and my kids and missus plays on xbox. The kids love fortnite. From what I've read some say certain routers are better for gaming and another said it doesn't really make a difference.

That's all I need. I need a router as cheap as possible. £50-100. Anybody make any recommendations?

That's all it will be used for I have no real use for any other feature number of USB ports is irrelevant, same with cloud storage,

Soldato
You need a separate access point, no way a cheap radio in a ISP supplied router will reliably handle 10 devices. Split your devices across the two and you'll fair much better.

Soldato
I used a TP Link one for quite a while.

The wifi on Virgin's hub is pretty crap. I'm not sure about the current hubs, but the old ones used to give you a slightly better internet connection if you disabled the wifi too :/

The problem with wifi in general is the more devices you have the slower it will get due to the security and collision detection. That eats a big chunk of bandwidth per device which is why you never get the full speed over wifi.

Associate
Hello,

I've been researching this and I need some help.

Basically I have Virgin 350 broadband and horrific speeds on wifi, had new router and engineer out and it refuses to let more than 10 devices connect to it (wired and wifi), any more than 10 and it struggles to let them all access the internet. A few devices that are connected will show full signal but won't load anything and I have to turn wifi off and on again on the devices to kind of re-establish connection, it isn't on a specific device. It could be anything conencted to it.

I live in a mid terrace house and get 2-3 bars of signal at the furthest part of the home so range isn't an issue (or maybe it is)

What I need help with is finding a router for my needs. I read some that say Router A is better than router B because Router A has more usb ports or cloud storage etc. I have fairly basic needs.

I need a router that has:
1. 4x ethernet ports
2. good wifi speeds
3. Good gaming performance. I play on my gaming pc and my kids and missus plays on xbox. The kids love fortnite. From what I've read some say certain routers are better for gaming and another said it doesn't really make a difference.

That's all I need. I need a router as cheap as possible. £50-100. Anybody make any recommendations?

That's all it will be used for I have no real use for any other feature number of USB ports is irrelevant, same with cloud storage,

Asus and TP-link have some wifi 6 routers around/under £100 like AX56U. If you go with Asus they have £25 cashback via rate my gear also which will bring overall price down.

Back
Top Bottom