• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
It sort of puts a hard limit on AIB prices for the 3070. You can't charge £600 quid for a 3070 when you can go team Red and get a bump up to the next performance tier.

I sort of feel AMD have missed a trick by not pricing the 6800 closer to the 3070.

I don't think I could personally ever justify spending over £500 on a GPU alone. Really hope it's closer to £500 than £600.

Soldato
I'm most impressed by the performance AMD seem to have achieved with a 256bit bus. Obviously not holding them back and presumably cheaper to manufacture?

Soldato
I sort of feel AMD have missed a trick by not pricing the 6800 closer to the 3070.

I don't think I could personally ever justify spending over £500 on a GPU alone. Really hope it's closer to £500 than £600.

I think so too, but it will make more sense in the context of the 3070Ti which is what it seems it’ll actually be going up against in performance terms.

I think the real problem is that they didn’t bring the 6700XT at launch to give people a true alternative to the 3070.

Had they just been super aggressive and priced the 6800 the same as the 3070 while knocking the snot out of it then it wouldn’t be an issue, but ultimately with how they’ve decided to play it there’s nothing from AMD for people with a £400-500 budget until early next year... that’s a real shame.

Associate
I think so too, but it will make more sense in the context of the 3070Ti which is what it seems it’ll actually be going up against in performance terms.

I think the real problem is that they didn’t bring the 6700XT at launch to give people a true alternative to the 3070.

Had they just been super aggressive and priced the 6800 the same as the 3070 while knocking the snot out of it then it wouldn’t be an issue, but ultimately with how they’ve decided to play it there’s nothing from AMD for people with a £400-500 budget until early next year... that’s a real shame.

Yeah, I see what you mean about the 3070ti actually, I hadn't considered that.

A 6700XT announcement/teaser, even if the launch date is later would be appreciated for sure.

I'm an ex-5700XT owner (b-grade that had a memory issue), so am getting by on an rx580, and for me there is no viable option right now.

Not the end of the world of course, there will be eventually, it's more a case of wanting in on all the shiney shiney, but have some constraint with my budget.

It's a strange feeling that the 'budget' option is an Nvidia card.

Soldato

I agree. They could have made the 3070 close to irrelevant before it even launched had they done that.

Soldato
there is no rayvtracing cause none of those game supports AMD's ray tracing

This does concern me tbh. If Nvidia push for hardcore RT - which they might because of their financial influence - then AMD might have a problem.

Anyway.. I'm still excited about these cards, and should be able to pickup a 6800xt, or maybe the 6800 due to lower TDP being better for my SFF PSU.

Associate
This does concern me tbh. If Nvidia push for hardcore RT - which they might because of their financial influence - then AMD might have a problem.

Anyway.. I'm still excited about these cards, and should be able to pickup a 6800xt, or maybe the 6800 due to lower TDP being better for my SFF PSU.
With AMD being on consoles, developers will start implementing AMDs tech, which will then be seen on PC. It’s also less proprietary.

Associate
Anyone who has a 3080 on order must be crazy to not cancel after seeing these results, especially the 1440P numbers. Knowing how AMD finewine drivers improve over time, I know for sure that the 6800XT will be hitting close to the 3090 within 6 months. With next gen consoles having the same gpu architecture we can expect more games to favour the AMD cards.

Just look at the Gears 5 and Borderlands 3 results and you will get a glimpse of the future.
These are cherry-picked scenarios from AMD. Remains to be seen how these cards perform on an Intel platform in third party reviews. I think that would even the playing field with 6800 XT competing with 3080.

Soldato
So we have to wait for RDNA3 for plentiful availability? Ok.
Well, I'm saying in the context of having enough availability to wage a price war (aka sell on volume). Even Turing if you look at it was plagued with such issues and it was on a very mature & plentiful node.

For Ampere, Samsung is.. doo-doo, so no great many chips will fly out of their fabs. For RDNA 2, it shares space with CPUs & Consoles and so much else besides, so it doesn't have free reign either. So while availability no doubt will improve over time, I don't think it's going to be at a level where they just spit out so many chips that NV & AMD will wage a price war.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom