• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD RX6000 vs Nvidia Ampere performance benchmarks (from AMD's website and compiled by Redditor)

Associate
DLSS, as neat as it is, isn't really a huge factor right now (despite Nvidia marketing wanting you to believe otherwise) on cards with 3080-level performance and above as they can anyway run 4k at decent frames. DLSS is only really significant for lower cards that need the performance boost like 3070 and especially lower.

by the time DLSS matters on a 3080-or-above class cards, AMD will have their own solution that we know they are working to bring to market.

How can you say DLSS doesn't matter? It's the only way to play Watch Dogs at 4K with raytracing near 60fps

Soldato
How can you say DLSS doesn't matter? It's the only way to play Watch Dogs at 4K with raytracing near 60fps
Maybe that says more about WD: Legion than it does about the performance of the 3080/3090.. I've tried the game at maximum settings @1440p and I personally don't find it that impressive outside of its bonkers performance requirements. Even RT doesn't seem to add much for the performance hit. This is not a jab at RT or Nvidia but at WD: Legion. The game is bad beyond belief.

Caporegime
OP

Any game engine that is unoptimised enough to require DLSS to run at playable framerates on a flagship card at 4k with some RT effects enabled, when other games don't, only confirms what I said. Ubisoft are the pits and to think that DLSS really matters because it's the only way to play their crappy games is hilarious.

The game has a ton of problems https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/jk21s8/warning_watch_dogs_legion_currently_has_terrible/

Soldato
DLSS, as neat as it is, isn't really a huge factor right now (despite Nvidia marketing wanting you to believe otherwise) on cards with 3080-level performance and above as they can anyway run 4k at decent frames. DLSS is only really significant for lower cards that need the performance boost like 3070 and especially lower.

by the time DLSS matters on a 3080-or-above class cards, AMD will have their own solution that we know they are working to bring to market.

dlss is absolutely needed to get playable ray tracing performance on any gpu for sale today from Nvidia or amd.

the game consoles don't have this problem because console owners are happy with 30fps and ray tracing running on low quality

Associate

dlss is absolutely needed to get playable ray tracing performance on any gpu for sale today from Nvidia or amd.

the game consoles don't have this problem because console owners are happy with 30fps and ray tracing running on low quality

Yes agreed, that's why I have been maintaining that the 3080 is a superior choice at the performance/price tier.. it's much better value for the additional $50.

Soldato
It's the crutch that Nvidia will be leaning on for the next 6 months. I would expect the forum to be filled with posts like these until the 3080ti appears.

"DLSS and RT performance is absolutely essential and i wont buy a card without it"

Associate

DLSS was the only way I was able to achieve playable frame rates in Control and Metro Exodus at 1440p on RTX 2080. I suspect it will also be needed for CP2077. DLSS is even more important than RTX for me considering my 144hz monitor.

Caporegime
OP
DLSS was the only way I was able to achieve playable frame rates in Control and Metro Exodus at 1440p on RTX 2080. I suspect it will also be needed for CP2077. DLSS is even more important than RTX for me considering my 144hz monitor.
This all confirms that RT in its current implementation is not yet ready for prime time in this generation, and considering that AMD will have their own version of DLSS it's not somethng that would make me buy a 3080 instead of a 6800XT.

Associate
It's the crutch that Nvidia will be leaning on for the next 6 months. I would expect the forum to be filled with posts like these until the 3080ti appears.

"DLSS and RT performance is absolutely essential and i wont buy a card without it"

It's not absolutely essential but at $50 becomes a no brainer (dlss+ superior RT)
But clearly AMD becomes a superior choice at 6800/6909 XT tiers

That said it still makes sense to reserve judgement till 3rd party reviews are published

Soldato
If the 6800 XT is 15% faster than the 3080, and DLSS Q gives you 25% performance boost (but also with a visual cost), then what's the point? DLSS doesn't work in every game and that extra performance will be in every game! It seems like the easiest win ever. Plus, when you consider VRS can be widespread and easily implemented requiring no model and that's another 10% performance gain for no visual loss (but incompatible with DLSS) - then you understand why DLSS is just brilliant marketing on Nvidia's part but has no future.

Consoles will do VRS and will be RDNA 2. That's a major win for AMD, and a major loss for Nvidia. The latter still have the advantage now but a year from now? Don't be so sure. Remember - it took more than a year for DLSS to even be worth turning on at all in the first place, a lot can change quickly in this space.

Associate
6800 beats the 3090, funny, and people still want to buy nvidia cards?
The truth is nvidia messed up and ampere is a fail.
Many bought the snakeoil Jensen talk.

Having amd hardware like zen3 and big navis 6000 series is the best gaming platform today
and nvidia cant do anything about that

Soldato
If raytracing was the same performance as Ampere then I'd jump ship to 5900x and 6900 XT. But when Nvidia has DLSS it's hard too right now

What about DLSS? Do you think AMD is not going to provide an alternative. Watch the presentation and look out for 'super resolution' which is due in December apparently, probably with the annual 'special' drivers.

Last edited:
Associate
What about DLSS? Do you think AMD is not going to provide an alternative. What they presentation and look out for 'super resolution' which is due in December apparently, probably with the annual 'special' drivers.

Yup looks like DLSS will get abstracted in dx12 as a directml implementation. Some leaked slide suggested that Nvidia gave it's dlss model to Microsoft for extending the api

Associate
Will wait for the main guys to do reviews before getting too excited. Hopefully they can get them out before launch day.

Associate
If the 6800 XT is 15% faster than the 3080, and DLSS Q gives you 25% performance boost (but also with a visual cost), then what's the point? DLSS doesn't work in every game and that extra performance will be in every game! It seems like the easiest win ever. Plus, when you consider VRS can be widespread and easily implemented requiring no model and that's another 10% performance gain for no visual loss (but incompatible with DLSS) - then you understand why DLSS is just brilliant marketing on Nvidia's part but has no future.

Consoles will do VRS and will be RDNA 2. That's a major win for AMD, and a major loss for Nvidia. The latter still have the advantage now but a year from now? Don't be so sure. Remember - it took more than a year for DLSS to even be worth turning on at all in the first place, a lot can change quickly in this space.

Yup it's like a bet.
More like a maximin strategy if you go with 3080
And maximax if you decide to stick with 6800XT.
Depends on personal preference.

I also believe that the dlss model will be updated to take in a different structure of inputs for it to work with VRS.

Everything's subject to reviews as there seems to be lot left in the tank for reference Navi.

Soldato

DLSS also now works in VR games, so you can VR owners to the list of people who will go with Nvidia

Back
Top Bottom