• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD RX6000 vs Nvidia Ampere performance benchmarks (from AMD's website and compiled by Redditor)

Permabanned
why even look at a 600£ gpu if you don’t want all the bells and whistles on? Plenty of lower cards can do high refresh rate 1080p or even 1440p and can do basic 4K. I spend the most I can to have all the extra bells and whistles so it does matter when your dropping so much on a card

Which lower card can do 1440p at 144fps+ on ultra?

Associate
why even look at a 600£ gpu if you don’t want all the bells and whistles on? Plenty of lower cards can do high refresh rate 1080p or even 1440p and can do basic 4K. I spend the most I can to have all the extra bells and whistles so it does matter when your dropping so much on a card

I want horsepower for high res VR, why would I want part of that dedicated to a thing which runs atrociously in a handful of games? We're probably at least 2 generations away from RT being viable and adopted properly and here we are getting all excited by autotune... I mean DLSS and whatever AMD bring

Associate
Associate
DLSS is definitely something that’ll be great in the future as the models evolve, but right now it’s so hit and miss, just becomes a non-issue.

All of the cards have the hardware, so it’s just about who can sort the software side out.

Soldato
Associate
How can you verify them with an unreleased processor? It also doesn't clarify what the point of the "up to" is.

Frame times are fat tailed.. mostly exponentially distributed.. it would be very easy to discern min frame time from its harmonic mean because they would differ by orders of magnitude

There's no common sense in assuming that at all. If AMD ran three runs and presented the highest AVERAGE of the three, common sense would suggest they'd say that on the website.

As I said you have the other way out.. to painstakingly compare the geforce numbers with publicly available estimates

TrM

TrM

Associate
Which lower card can do 1440p at 144fps+ on ultra?

i said they could do high refresh rate 5700xt 2070 can do both i never said anything about ultra or any setting for that matter. the sinple fact is most of the more modern card can do high refresh rate gaming. you chose to have them at ultra setting.

I want horsepower for high res VR, why would I want part of that dedicated to a thing which runs atrociously in a handful of games? We're probably at least 2 generations away from RT being viable and adopted properly and here we are getting all excited by autotune... I mean DLSS and whatever AMD bring

i can see your point of needing horse power for VR gaming. But also people who want Ray tracing and DLSS to allow us to play at 4k is also needed. people say that ray tracing is 2 generations away but more and more parts of the game on the console will be ray tracing based. More and more devs will find new ways of implementing it. Its here now and DLSS makes it viable at 4k why not use it?

Soldato
As I said you have the other way out.. to painstakingly compare the geforce numbers with publicly available estimates

...Soooo your answer to my question on why people aren't talking about it..is to go look up the numbers myself. Is that what you did when you decided what the numbers represented? Common sense, right?

Weird response. Weird thread.

On the front page for the rx6000 series*

AMD Radeon RX 6000 Series Graphics Cards | AMD

SlozTXb.png

And before you ask, the numbers they show for gears 5 on the 'select a game' page are lower than they are on the front page.

6Z6Bzld.png

* (and all over their presentation slides as well)

Associate
Frame times are fat tailed.. mostly exponentially distributed.. it would be very easy to discern min frame time from its harmonic mean because they would differ by orders of magnitude

For performance mode, but quality mode often lacks on some textures when it struggles to fill in the gaps.

Soldato
...Soooo your answer to my question on why people aren't talking about it..is to go look up the numbers myself. Is that what you did when you decided what the numbers represented? Common sense, right?

Weird response. Weird thread.

On the front page for the rx6000 series*

AMD Radeon RX 6000 Series Graphics Cards | AMD
SlozTXb.png

And before you ask, the numbers they show for gears 5 on the 'select a game' page are lower than they are on the front page.

6Z6Bzld.png

* (and all over their presentation slides as well)

Why is there a rukus about AMD saying "Up To" on the front page of their cards? I thought it was in the benchmark results they posted, which it is not.

Associate
Looks like the Green Defense squad is out in force today. To me it looks like a lot of people trying to justify their purchase/impending purchase.

I wasn't planing on upgrading from my 1080ti but kinda tempted to treat my 144hz 4k with a 6800XT should it be priced well when it's converted to the £. Though my main worry is how much it will be bottle necked by my Ryzen 1700.

Soldato
Why is there a rukus about AMD saying "Up To" on the front page of their cards? I thought it was in the benchmark results they posted, which it is not.
Well,
There's a lack of clarity there, certainly an amount of ambiguity, and nobody here is talking about it. To me, that's pretty odd.

So what do the numbers means then? Take Gears 5 again, 'up to 92 fps' on the front page, 89fps on the game selector. What does that mean? i've already been told 92 should be the highest average of three runs, so 89 fps then? The average of the three runs? The average on one run. Five runs? Max on ten runs? Because that information isn't anywhere. We're just accepting the numbers in this thread, no matter what they really mean.

It's just a shame people are so willing to accept an ambiguous set of numbers like this without question. However, there are some decent independent reviewers out there so yes we will know soon enough and i can ignore nonsense like this, just like i do when nvidia do the same. I'd do exactly the same no matter who made the cards so:

Kieran_read said:
Looks like the Green Defense squad is out in force today. To me it looks like a lot of people trying to justify their purchase/impending purchase.

Yeah sure, i'm at fault and im justifying a purchase i havent and am not going to make. Fine, whatever.

Soldato
It's really good to see a separate thread for benchmark comparisons because that's got to be the main driver for decision making.

As I said in a previous thread, the figures we have right now are heavily biased toward AMD because they have been conducted by AMD. What we need to see, is a like for like comparison of cards that are straight out the box. Stock v stock on an Intel or Ryzen 3000 system.

Soldato
The up to part is most likely due to that's what you would get with rage mode and smart access memory. So it's a best case scenario if you have all the tools. The other bench is only using smart access memory so slightly lower and the frames are what they actually got.

Associate
If this means nvidia dropping their prices then well done to team red but doubt that will happen, if anything amd will up theirs. And then we're
back to square one, you'll be looking at a grand for a high end gpu from either company so nothing will really change for us except for the choice of either giving amd or nvidia your hard earned money.

Soldato

up to is deceptive because it doesn't matter

the only framerate measurement that matters is average, low and frametimes

usually average is used it's the industry go to measurement - amd broke this by this time using maximum recorded frame rate which is odd

Back
Top Bottom