• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sub £400 graphics card for 1440p gaming

Associate
Hi all,

I've recently upgraded my monitor from a 24" 1080p to 27" 1440p and think I need to upgrade my graphics card. I'm currently running a gtx 1060 6 GB and I'm very aware of the new 3 series and big Navi but they're out of my price range and I'm looking to get something pretty soon. I'm not bothered about having everything on Ultra, ideally just to be able to run things on high at 60fps.

Any recommendations please?

ljt

ljt

Soldato
It comes to something when 2nd hand is your only real option for a decent 1440p GPU :(

Hopefully the 5700XT will have some decent deals for you on black friday sales OP

Soldato
I bought an RX 5600XT for £200 while I wait for a next gen GPU and that gets 50% increase on average compared to the 1060 6GB. Maybe a cheaper option if you can find a deal.

Currently playing Horizon (High) & Red Dead 2 (Quality) on a 32" 1440 monitor and runs very well with some places in Red Dead 2 being more taxing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUpcQZ2Xrv0

If you're keeping it longer term then yeah a 5700XT or 1080 Ti or 2070S would be better.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi all,

I've recently upgraded my monitor from a 24" 1080p to 27" 1440p and think I need to upgrade my graphics card. I'm currently running a gtx 1060 6 GB and I'm very aware of the new 3 series and big Navi but they're out of my price range and I'm looking to get something pretty soon. I'm not bothered about having everything on Ultra, ideally just to be able to run things on high at 60fps.

Any recommendations please?

If you need it right now, 5700xt or 2070s

If you can wait, then the midrange will reshape soon. There will be RTX 3060ti and RX 6700xt dropping in around that price range in a couple of months.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Cheers guys I'm not keen on 2nd hand so it looks like the 5700 xt is under £400 brand new, my only concern is with the drivers. I've not had an AMD card for years but I suppose they must be doing something right if they're powering PS5 and the new Xbox.

Soldato
Cheers guys I'm not keen on 2nd hand so it looks like the 5700 xt is under £400 brand new, my only concern is with the drivers. I've not had an AMD card for years but I suppose they must be doing something right if they're powering PS5 and the new Xbox.

I kept reading this but since buying my RX 5000 series card I've not had any issues. Software seems a bit over feature rich yet I can't seem to do a simple task like change monitor refresh without using the Win10 advanced graphic option. Very stable though with the games I've been paying.

Associate
OP
Cool, thanks guys that's reassuring. 5700 xt here I come, does anyone know why overclockers red devil 5700 xt is £80 more than other companies?

Last edited:
Soldato
Cool, thanks guys that's reassuring. 5700 xt here I come, does anyone know why overclockers red devil 5700 xt is £80 more than other companies?

The exchange rate on Haribo Starmix has fluctuated again.

For this budget used is king in my opinion. However I can understand older cards being diminishing returns. Been seeing 1080Ti's keeling over these last couple weeks, and they'd nearly all be out of warranty at this point so I can understand going for something newer.

Back
Top Bottom