Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Soldato
Probably better getting a pair of aftermarket ones as one of these oem ones are around £50 each, i'll have a look.

I'm looking at getting this screen also, should pretty much kill the wind - https://www.powerbronze.co.uk/trium...0-xrx-18-19-tiger-800-xrt-18-19-480-t101.html

Might be able to glue it, but in my experience glue can't hold the engine/road vibrations.

A new indicator is available for £38 from Fowlers parts: https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/5597204/tiger-800-xrt-from-vin-674842/indicators

Soldato
2 decades of owning bikes from a kid to now... My new multistrada, I figured 'why not, I'll follow the manual this once' and used 90w gear oil to lube the chain. I don't think I'll ever go back to spray can lube, dry or wet. It's a bit messy, but the chain is so much healthier! Anyone else use gear oil?

And yes, I know modern O/X ring chains technically don't need lube, but that's just alien to me haha.

Soldato
I did on my S1000XR cause cheap and like you figured i'll follow the manual. Honestly I don't really like it, kinda messy, you waste a lot, chain looks healthy (but brand new bike/chain so hard to know) but I dropped a bit on garage floor and it's a pain to clean up... I'll probably keep using it because i'm a cheap ass and now I've got it :D

Yea, it does cause a bit of mess haha, I just put some sawdust down I bought from a pet shop to soak up the oil from my first application as I was very liberal. But now I use much less and it's nowhere near as bad. It will eventually work it's way around the chain, you just need a few drops here and there.

Man of Honour
2 decades of owning bikes from a kid to now... My new multistrada, I figured 'why not, I'll follow the manual this once' and used 90w gear oil to lube the chain. I don't think I'll ever go back to spray can lube, dry or wet. It's a bit messy, but the chain is so much healthier! Anyone else use gear oil?

And yes, I know modern O/X ring chains technically don't need lube, but that's just alien to me haha.

I use it on all my bikes. You only need a tiny amount but you do have to apply it after every 250-300 km.

When I get back from a day tour now (the bike is only used for fun) I stick it up on he paddock stand, dip the tip of a paintbrush in the oil and get rid of the excess, spin the rear wheel hard and just lightly brush the chain until the wheel stops. Done in 20 seconds.

The chain is always in perfect condition and there is no oil fling. Dirt also never sticks to the chain so I never clean it, I just spend 15 seconds wiping it down with a cloth every now and then.

I much prefer having to oil it regularly compared to having to clean the chain even once per year.

Soldato
So I've been thinking for a few weeks, I think it's time for the bike to go :( The last time I filled it up with Petrol was August...2019.. I was out of the country for 6 months, then the last 3 times I've gone to use it, it's let me down :( Twice on the battery(had been off charge for maybe 2-3 days) and the tail tidy decided to snap on me back in April.

It's a shame cause it's pretty hilarious. I did manage to take it out before the weather turned but the thrill was massively sub-dued. I feel like if i want to go and blast some B roads, the Fiesta ST is perfect for that, but is also more practical, comfortable and still relatively cheap. It's not 'costing' me anything at the moment, other than a new battery which'll set me back only £37 which is a pleasant surprise and some new oil, oil filter, spark plugs after having sat for so long.

I'm moving up to Lincolnshire next summer, but I still can't see me using the bike so much; the Fiesta will still be great.

Soldato
Why? Just use the bike, what’s the point keeping it away? I’ve been out today and will be every free day I get.

Nah nah.

I ride my bike for fun not for necessity. It's not the cold I'm bothered about but wet roads. You just don't have the grip, and around where I live is rural, so all the farm vehicles around here drop mud and diesel everywhere, which if the road stays damp turns into this ice like slime, not to mention covers your bike also.

It means you have to concentrate and ride steady, and that's too much like hard work for me, I'll just take the car, plus that's easier to clean!

Associate
So I've been thinking for a few weeks, I think it's time for the bike to go :( The last time I filled it up with Petrol was August...2019.. I was out of the country for 6 months, then the last 3 times I've gone to use it, it's let me down :( Twice on the battery(had been off charge for maybe 2-3 days) and the tail tidy decided to snap on me back in April.

It's a shame cause it's pretty hilarious. I did manage to take it out before the weather turned but the thrill was massively sub-dued. I feel like if i want to go and blast some B roads, the Fiesta ST is perfect for that, but is also more practical, comfortable and still relatively cheap. It's not 'costing' me anything at the moment, other than a new battery which'll set me back only £37 which is a pleasant surprise and some new oil, oil filter, spark plugs after having sat for so long.

I'm moving up to Lincolnshire next summer, but I still can't see me using the bike so much; the Fiesta will still be great.
What bike is this?

Soldato
I had a nice run out on Sunday, missed out on summer due to a long wait for a part so I'm making the most of it. Use it for work if the forecast isn't wet at hometime!

Back
Top Bottom