Starting an MVS collection...

Soldato
So, one thing about my collection might come across as ridiculous, but if I explain first, it should start to make some sense...

I'm currently collecting for the MVS, but quite specifically the Metal Slug series.

I've recently gotten pretty heavily into Metal Slug series after I started streaming retro games, and got immediately hooked on MS1.

So, after I beat it, and had fallen in love with the game play, the art style, and the scale and fun of the bonkers bosses, I decided I wanted to 1cc it...

I did that, but I hadn't had enough, so I practiced until I could no death it... but I hadn't had enough so I precticed until I could eventually 1cc it on hardest (level 8) difficulty.

Then, I'd absolutely had enough
smiley36.gif

I won't be trying a 1cc on hardest difficulty ever again, it was such a grind, but I still wanted more and so I started on MS2.

Eventually I 1cc'd that too.

I'm currently working on X (which is WAY tougher than 2, and anyone who says they're basically the same isn't paying attention!!).

Anyway, in playing these games, I found various ports on various platforms and found that they all played very slightly differently, and had varying degrees of difficulty.

Eventually, I established that the 'ACA' versions (about £6 on the Microsoft Store) were the most 'authentic' to play.

This brought me to the fact that the only truly authentic way to play, is with OG carts on OG hardware, and so my collection began.

It started with needing real arcade controls, so I modified my Qanba Q4RAF:-

bglUzuQ.jpg

It has a Sanwa JLF, modified with a an oversized actuator to shorten the activation distance, a 4lb spring to stiffen the feel, an aluminium shaft cover and dust washer, and a nice heavy aluminium bat top. Feels great!
Crappy custom artwork I knocked up on PhotoPea, and screw in Seimitsu buttons. (I have ordered some GamerFinger buttons, but that was a month ago and I'm yet to see them)

Then I needed games, of course...

I have managed to scoop up Metal Slug 1, 2, X, 3, and 4...

All are original carts and authentic boards, but some most were in poor condition. Those that were I've put into new shells with replacement labels.

For example:-

yfGyL2L.jpg

xoTCe2F.jpg
Metal Slug 2 is actually pretty interesting.

It's an original cartridge, however, it's been socketed. So the original ROM chip has been desoldered, and replaced with a socket. The original chip remains with the cart, and also with the cart is a very slightly modified ROM chip that eliminates the much lamented slowdown of Metal Slug 2.

You can simply insert either chip, and play as you wish. (I've got the OG chip in there, I think the slow down is part of MS2)

pk0wDXQ.jpg

yuLO2Ij.jpg

INWWPa0.jpg

4Vq3oKG.jpg

XKYzvC8.jpg

Metal Slug 4 however is immaculate, and came as a full kit:-

uPwbXRL.jpg

Uow7iDV.jpg

(had to open it up very slightly, just to be sure it was an authentic cart)

64PzgMo.jpg

That obviously was not re-shelled.

xglBFxl.jpg

XTWb74n.jpg
(all orginal shells, boxes and labels are obviously kept and preserved)

Next up, to keep them all pristine, I needed some shock boxes...
P4KBEAi.jpg

Oh, and I've also grabbed Neo Turf Masters, and a NeoSD Pro.

1JidxCE.jpg
bF60umx.jpg

aRuW8O4.jpg
hM4IDyT.jpg
The box for the NeoSD Pro infuriatingly has the label facing the wrong way!! But never fear, I'd already grabbed a shock box for that too.

So what's left to get for the collections??

Well, I'd really like an original and authentic copy of MS5 to complete it.

Oh, and that leads me to the ridiculous thing I mentioned in the first line of this post... I need hardware to play them on!!!
smiley36.gif

Yep, I've spent a small fortune and don't actually have an MVS!!

I have one coming... or at least, I've arranged to have one coming. A pal of mine is going to consolise one, and hopefully I'll have it by the end of the year, but in the mean time all I can do is look at all the stuff I've picked up :(

While I'm new to this world, I know that this is a subject people feel passionate about. I've only bought games I actually want, I'm not collecting for the sake of collecting. I won't be sellin them on for profit. They're not just a thing to display on a shelf, I will actually be playing them and making real use of them. In fact, I don't suppose there are many people who have 1cc'd every one in the MVS series, and that's my goal...

I hope you've enjoyed having a butchers. I can't wait to update you with the hardware when I get it...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom