• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I completely get that this rage mode and SAM method are making the best of a bad (well good if you own the hardware) situation to portray how much better your gaming FPS are.

But like you pointed out @Zeeflyboy , the 3090 is double the price of the 3080 and not worth the money - ever! If you cannot applaud AMD's efforts coming from a mediocre 5700 range that was 30% or more behind the 2080Ti to doubling the performance and at better power efficiency then you arent looking at the technology angle and have another agenda.

Soldato
@Th0nt yes, but I also think there is a bit of a misunderstanding around rage mode... a lot seem to be thinking it is an auto overclock when it seems quite apparent that it's not.

Steve from GN talked about it a bit in the original press release coverage and specifically said it is not an overclock... all it does is give the card a bit more power envelope before throttling on that limit. No voltage changes, no clock speed changes, no memory overclock, nada. AMD themselves suggested it accounts for literally maybe 2%.

Including SAM is much more significant as that accounts for anywhere between 2-13% by AMD's numbers.

But yeah, rage mode really hardly features in. Not really sure why they even bothered with it at all in these benches as it just makes it look like they are having to over-reach to keep up. Don't think they ever gave benches for Zen2 with PBO enabled to try and catch Intel benches back in the day did they?

I'm quietly optimistic that AIB 6800XT's (and 6900XTs) will comfortably slip in ahead of AIB 3080/3090 respectively given all we've seen of 10% or more higher game clocks rumoured on their top models. 3000 series seems to have comparatively little headroom out of the gate...

Last edited:
Soldato
tmp.png

:eek:

Haa
:D

------------------------------------

14:20 to 15:00 Talks about the pitfalls of ray tracing and how it can break immersion in this open world game. AND at 16:00 he indicates that DLSS isn't all that good telling his audience to enable sharpening. Overall he doesn't recommend it between 16:20-16:28.

Xbox Series X 4K/30 Ray Traced
November 10

BTW: Does it rain in the PC version? In any case, I will keep an eye out for the infamous Digital Foundry Comparison on November 10. I wonder if they will point out the limitations HU found at 14:20 on PC? I seriously doubt it.

But it does beg the question how well RX 6000 series will do?

Last edited:
Soldato
@Th0nt yes, but I also think there is a bit of a misunderstanding around rage mode... a lot seem to be thinking it is an auto overclock when it seems quite apparent that it's not.

Steve from GN talked about it a bit in the original press release coverage and specifically said it is not an overclock... literally all it does is give the card a bit more power envelope before throttling on that limit. No voltage changes, no clock speed changes, no memory overclock, nada. AMD themselves suggested it accounts for literally maybe 2%.

Including SAM is much more significant as that accounts for anywhere between 2-13% by AMD's numbers.

But yeah, rage mode really hardly features in. Not really sure why they even bothered with it.

RAGE provides more power at peak load so the clock can run as its Boost Clock (2250mhz) for longer, that's all. It's like Intel's 5.3ghz boost algorithm for the 10900k.

It doesn't increase clock above advertised, the card just runs at the advertised clocks for longer before coming off it

Soldato
Haa

------------------------------------

14:20 to 15:00 Talks about the pitfalls of ray tracing and how it can break immersion in this open world game.

Xbox Series X 4K/30 Ray Traced
November 10

BTW: Does it rain in the PC version? In any case, I will keep an eye out for the infamous Digital Foundry Comparison on November 10. I wonder if they will point out the limitations HU found at 14:20 on PC? I seriously doubt it.

But it does beg the question how well RX 6000 series will do?

Well we know how the Series X does compared to the Nvidia. Here is a quick comparison using the RDNA2 52CU 1.8ghz Series X vs the RTX3090. In these comparisons, both the Series X and RTX3090 are set to 4k.

Series X example 1: Sign reflection is very blocky, no text is reflected in water puddle

Series X example 2: Reflection in glass building is very low resolution and blocky, reflection of clouds is impossible to identify details in the reflection

Series X example 3: Underground sign has a blocky reflection in the puddle and no text is legible. On the right side, NPC's have no reflection in the water (like they are vampires) and the umbrella food stand has no reflection

Series X example 4: The reflection on the left is really weird, it doesn't resemble anything on the building other than the color red. On the right the sign over the clothing store is not reflection in the water puddle. NPC's in the distance also have no reflection

And quick comparison on PC

Example 1: Very high quality clear reflection, the "Stepping" text is legible in the puddle

Example 2: NPC's are reflected in water puddles unlike on the console

Soldato
I've watch hardware unboxed's PC comparison and compared to to my screenshots above.

The Xbox Series X is using Ray Tracing settings that are lower than anything on PC, the lowest Ray Tracing setting the game lets you select on PC looks significantly superior to the Series X.

On PC you can select: Medium, High or Ultra. The Series X is using Low or Ultra Low

Soldato
Well we know how the Series X does compared to the Nvidia. Here is a quick comparison using the RDNA2 52CU 1.8ghz Series X vs the RTX3090. In these comparisons, both the Series X and RTX3090 are set to 4k.

Series X example 1: Sign reflection is very blocky, no text is reflected in water puddle

Series X example 2: Reflection in glass building is very low resolution and blocky, reflection of clouds is impossible to identify details in the reflection

Series X example 3: Underground sign has a blocky reflection in the puddle and no text is legible. On the right side, NPC's have no reflection in the water (like they are vampires) and the umbrella food stand has no reflection

Series X example 4: The reflection on the left is really weird, it doesn't resemble anything on the building other than the color red. On the right the sign over the clothing store is not reflection in the water puddle. NPC's in the distance also have no reflection

And quick comparison on PC

Example 1: Very high quality clear reflection, the "Stepping" text is legible in the puddle

Example 2: NPC's are reflected in water puddles unlike on the console

Do you expect me to believe that we are expect mirror like reflections on the road? LOL
Those reflections look pretty good to me on the console. And they are doing it at 4k/30 with RT.
The building you posted also looks fine to me.
What I do notice is that the roads aren't filled with puddles like on the nvidia version.

And again, is there a rain cycle and holograms (@ 0:39 of 2nd video of my previous post) the on the PC version? That's very CPU intensive and requires a bit of vram to pull off for a sandbox game like that. Xbox is providing that using direct storage which is a huge benefit.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm surprised Nvidia seemed to know what price to release the 3080 to roughly match the price of the 6800xt.

I'm sorry but is this comment supposed to be a meme? Privilege of setting pricing comes to those who launch first, and it's obvious that nVidia wanted to put AMD under pressure from the off by pricing the 3080 so reasonably thereby forcing AMD's hand. In their view they take a short term hit in order to keep the 'competition' from making too much in the higher end in the current gen ;)

I'm convinced this is why they rushed the 3000-series launch...

Soldato
I love the idea of ray tracing. But theres no need to throw puddles and mirrors everywhere in the games now its getting silly.
It's seems, to me, that some don't considered a game ray traced unless you cast mirror reflections off of roads, etc that normally don't reflect in that manner.
"You get mirror reflections!!...You get mirror reflections!!....everything gets mirror reflections!!!!!""

And I still like to know if the PC version also offers those holograms in the rain. Because showing holograms in the rain in a sandbox game is pretty impressive to me coming from the consoles. Which is very costly in performance at 4K.

Soldato
Do you expect me to believe that we are expect mirror like reflections on the road? LOL
Those reflections look pretty good to me on the console. And they are doing it at 4k/30 with RT.
The building you posted also looks fine to me.
What I do notice is that the roads aren't filled with puddles like on the nvidia version.

And again, is there a rain cycle and holograms (@ 0:39 of 2nd video of my previous post) the on the PC version? That's very CPU intensive and requires a bit of vram to pull off for a sandbox game like that. Xbox is providing that using direct storage which is a huge benefit.

Oh dear the cope is real

so many missing reflections and reflections that look like a mushy turd, pc is better than consoles period. End of the day on pc you can use ray tracing up to ultra quality while consoles are stuck with low, end of story

Soldato
Oh dear the cope is real

so many missing reflections and reflections that look like a mushy turd, pc is better than consoles period. End of the day on pc you can use ray tracing up to ultra quality while consoles are stuck with low, end of story
I agree the cope is indeed real. I'm still awaiting an answer from you regarding rain and hologram effects while still ray tracing. Because those effects can reduce frame rates in a sandbox game like that. Yet consoles sail right through it. Well?

Soldato
Hold your horses there sunshine. Isn't the difference between the 3080 and 3090 just the same? An AIB 3080 thats clocked well can get very close to a 3090FE I bet, I dont see what the deal is with always pointing out AMD shenanigans when nvidia are full of it to the core themselves?

This 100% to the moon and back.

Associate
Someone linked a YT vid by blunty either in this thread or the ampere one, and I thought the reflections looked bad in some of the scenes. As far as I can tell he was doing an on/off comparison with RT on High in the settings, IIRC on a 2060.

https://youtu.be/4F6ZmaXmOKA?t=236

Edit: also the taxi going through the tunnel at 1:45 looks rubbish IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom