B550 options

Associate
Hi all,

Will be looking at picking up a 5600x in a weeks time, so wanting to also sort out a motherboard. Will be paired with a 3070 and I'm not hugely bothered about overclocking headroom, but its a nice to have idea.

My case has a USBC front port so a board with the correct header would be useful.

So, I was looking at the Aorus Elite but it seems its missing the USBC, which is present on higher spec MSI boards (And the odd Strix), any advice?

I'd also assume it's a safe bet that boards being shipped now have the correct bios for a 5000 series chip?

Soldato
The B550 tomahawk is a good shout and comes with bios flashback which means you can update the bios without even needing a CPU installed just in case it doesn't come pre flashed.

Associate
OP
The B550 tomahawk is a good shout and comes with bios flashback which means you can update the bios without even needing a CPU installed just in case it doesn't come pre flashed.

I'm struggling to see a difference between the Tomahawk and the Gaming Edge WiFi, seems it's basically that you lose 1 gigabit socket and gain wifi6? In which case that probably makes more sense practically.

Associate
You cannot assume that the motherboard will work with the new chips. Your best bet is to pick a B550 with bios flash back. This will enable you to upgrade the bios with out a cpu and in some cases RAM. Most of the boards will have this function but you will need to check.

Associate
I'm struggling to see a difference between the Tomahawk and the Gaming Edge WiFi, seems it's basically that you lose 1 gigabit socket and gain wifi6? In which case that probably makes more sense practically.

I think the VRMs are identical so yea, essentially just a feature difference.

Associate
I'd avoid the Aorus Pro . I've just got one and half the high speed usb 3 ports are knackered.

This is about as useful as those reviews you see online reviewing the seller of the product rather than the product.
It's mass produced and this will always mean some items unfortunately will come with defects, that's what distance selling regs / warranties are for; RMA the board for refund/replacement rather than trash-talking the entire model/brand..

Pet Northerner
Don
This is about as useful as those reviews you see online reviewing the seller of the product rather than the product.
It's mass produced and this will always mean some items unfortunately will come with defects, that's what distance selling regs / warranties are for; RMA the board for refund/replacement rather than trash-talking the entire model/brand..
b550 aorus boards shipping with free £100 4.0 500gb M.2 but not here as of yet, which is a pain !

rma? Running F11b bios update ?

if within 14 days would have has Mobo swapped with reseller ?

You know what, you're both right. I was in a foul mood when I made the post and it was uncalled for. My frustration was bourne out of the board working fine out of the box, then using the official BIOS app to update via the web, which then nuked the USB ports. After attempting another bios flash via the app (and being told I'm up to date) I then googled the board plus USB issues and it turns out that it was a common issue at the time.

It was only after making the post and before contacting amazon for a replacement that I checked the supprot page for the mobo and saw the f11 BIOS not listed in the app.

Since moving to the F11 BIOS the ports are working fine, although I've not tried pushing the RAM past 3200 at this time (one of the reasons for moving from X370 to B550 was better RAM handling).

Apologies all

Associate
Since moving to the F11 BIOS the ports are working fine, although I've not tried pushing the RAM past 3200 at this time (one of the reasons for moving from X370 to B550 was better RAM handling).

Thanks for that update. I've been holding off of buying a Gigabyte board due to the many reports on this issue. I feel a little more confident after reading your post.

Associate

At least you got it sorted without having to return it, much less of a ball ache. No worries, have done similar things out of annoyance!

Back
Top Bottom