• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrM

TrM

Associate
Haa
:D

------------------------------------

14:20 to 15:00 Talks about the pitfalls of ray tracing and how it can break immersion in this open world game. AND at 16:00 he indicates that DLSS isn't all that good telling his audience to enable sharpening. Overall he doesn't recommend it between 16:20-16:28.

he said that everyone sould be using quality dlss even if your not using ray tracing. so he does recomend it to everyone who can enable it. at about 16m 50 and also all his setting charts have dlss on

Soldato
he said that everyone sould be using quality dlss even if your not using ray tracing. so he does recomend it to everyone who can enable it. at about 16m 50 and also all his setting charts have dlss on
If you continue watching he is making an inference to still use it for the performance benefit. Even though the IQ wasn't any good (from the marks I provided in my previous post). Which is a bit of a backpeddle on his part. Setting it to Quality only provides a slight benefit in performance which is what the inference is.

Associate
3080 = 29.7 TFLOPS
6800XT = 20.7 TFLOPS

Lower TFLOPS might explain why RT performance is ~33% less with the AMD cards.

Ray tracing is essentially fixed function at this point. TFLOPS is a measure normally of the Floating Point computational power of these GPUs which is a very generic way of doing math that is hugely inefficient for ray tracing. Instead ray tracing is sped up by having fixed function RT cores in Nvidias case which are only really good at doing one kind of math that is used primarily for doing ray intersection calculations. With AMD they have done a similar thing every CU they have has some small proportion dedicated to hardware accelerating ray tracing.

The problem with this is that every fixed function RT core you add is transistors spent on this that could be spent on accelerating more general rasterization, so less regular gameplay FPS but faster ray tracing. AMD it seems from an early look at their hardware has simply dedicated a smaller % of their core to these fixed function cores. Whether that matters or not to you mostly depends on how much you care about ray tracing.

Soldato
I still wonder what happened to amd using its SP cores for ray tracing, they claimed they had some way of accelerating ray tracing without needing extra hardware - then did a quick bait and switch by giving us cards with the same design as Nvidia and acting like they never said they didn't need fixed function hardware

Soldato
I still wonder what happened to amd using its SP cores for ray tracing, they claimed they had some way of accelerating ray tracing without needing extra hardware - then did a quick bait and switch by giving us cards with the same design as Nvidia and acting like they never said they didn't need fixed function hardware

What have you got to back up what you're saying? Bait and switch is a strong term, should definitely have a public announcement from AMD with deceptive promises regarding RT behind that claim yes?

Soldato

Did I miss a technical paper or something? I haven't seen them mention how they are achieving ray tracing on 6xxx series cards, because they are being tight lipped about it.

Associate
Did I miss a technical paper or something? I haven't seen them mention how they are achieving ray tracing on 6xxx series cards, because they are being tight lipped about it.

I saw a snap somewhere.. each CU can do 4 ray box intersections or texture operations per clock..

So you have a theoretical max of 320 ray box intersections per clock on the 6900xt. But this needs to be load balanced with texture operations, so not all of it can be used.

Theoretically at 100% utilisation half the number of CUs should be deployed for RT at any given point in time dropping the max ray box intersections count to 160 per clock

But I feel that the RT deployment should be 40% CU with TMUs less than fully utilised.

There are benchmarks available for synthetic RT tests, unknown AMD SKU

Associate
Do you expect me to believe that we are expect mirror like reflections on the road? LOL
Those reflections look pretty good to me on the console. And they are doing it at 4k/30 with RT.
The building you posted also looks fine to me.
What I do notice is that the roads aren't filled with puddles like on the nvidia version.

And again, is there a rain cycle and holograms (@ 0:39 of 2nd video of my previous post) the on the PC version? That's very CPU intensive and requires a bit of vram to pull off for a sandbox game like that. Xbox is providing that using direct storage which is a huge benefit.

christ o mighty. You just can’t accept anything that doesnt fit your narrative now can you? so much bias. Even when there’s proof in pictures you still go back to the good old ‘but but, to me...’

Just deal with it. AMDs raytracing isnt going to be equal/better than Nvidias. Xbsx and ps5 are indeed running RT at a lower setting than even medium on PC.

Yes rx6xxx series are really good when it comes to raster, maybe even their super res feature will come close to DLSS and their RT is decent. They’re good cards, you don’t have to make things up all the time to make them seem like the best thing since sliced bread. Chill

PS: most important thing will be price imo. 3070s and 3080s have insane prices here in Romania. 3070 is like 750-800 E, 3080s 950-1000E. Whereas a ps5 actually only cost me 500E like it should. Now .. if AMD has GPU prices close to their actual MSRP (say 650E for their 6800XT) it's game over for NVIDIA here imo.

Last edited:
Associate
Ray tracing is essentially fixed function at this point. TFLOPS is a measure normally of the Floating Point computational power of these GPUs which is a very generic way of doing math that is hugely inefficient for ray tracing.

Every thing can be measured in teraflops as long as it's being done in single precision.
Ray tracing is a series of mathematical operations that can be converted to teraflops. However, those numbers shown are qualitative and not the actual teraflop count.
Someone ought to sit and list down all operations done by the RT core in single clock, it would also include trigonometric functions and then the actual teraflop number can be estimated.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
No, more like 10% faster which makes it much better value at 200% the price of the 3080 vs the 5% better perf of the 6900XT at 150% the price... errrr.... oh...

I suspect the 6900xt is holding back a bit to fit within that same 300W limit as the 6800XT with 8 more CUs... rage mode might let it shine a little more but also isn't a proper overclock according to GN, so will be fascinating to compare the fully unleashed 6900XT vs the fully unleashed 6800XT. One assumes they are using higher binned chips to be able to achieve the same 300W TBP, same clocks, more CUs so it stands to reason they would be able to be pushed higher too with a little fiddling.

Whatever way you cut it though the 3090 and 6900XT both appear to offer incredibly poor value for gamers over the 3080 and 6800XT.

Lol. Yea but 24gb mate, that’s much better than 16gb and will come handy at 8K gaming, didn’t ya know? :p

Everyone should know Grim by now. He reads rumours and fake news, can’t differentiate between what is likely real and fake so gets confused and starts spreading the fake news as fact. Then when he ends up getting it wrong instead of holding his hands up and saying he got it wrong he blames the fact that there is so much fake news out there :p

Associate
Lol. Yea but 24gb mate, that’s much better than 16gb and will come handy at 8K gaming, didn’t ya know? :p

Everyone should know Grim by now. He reads rumours and fake news, can’t differentiate between what is likely real and fake so gets confused and starts spreading the fake news as fact. Then when he ends up getting it wrong instead of holding his hands up and saying he got it wrong he blames the fact that there is so much fake news out there :p

Is he Donald Trump???

Permabanned
Lol. Yea but 24gb mate, that’s much better than 16gb and will come handy at 8K gaming, didn’t ya know?

Probably not correct because at 8K the card will lack sufficient shading power rather than bottlenecked in the 24GB VRAM amount which is overkill for gaming and only maybe necessary for some computing loads.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Probably not correct because at 8K the card will lack sufficient shading power rather than bottlenecked in the 24GB VRAM amount which is overkill for gaming and only maybe necessary for some computing loads.
It was sarcasm. Grim lately goes on about 8K to support his arguments :p

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
if these are true, then AMD have stomped nvidia and Intel this year, wow.

I hope they claim a large market share from both companies.

huge congratulation to Lisa and her team, few years ago I thought and would go bust or sold off, talk about a turn around.

talk about riding high.

So we can comfortably conclude Jensen rushed the series out and charged £699 for the 3080 as he knew AMD were going to be way further than anticipated this launch period. AMD have turned up for the high end gaming, and they are bringing 4k. Lets see if they naysayers continue the narrative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom