• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 5000 series overclocking

Soldato
Small sample of data we have so far indicates all core manual overclocks will be 200-300mhz higher than zen 2

for example my 3950x is all core 4.3ghz so I expect the 5950x to end up at all core 4.5ghz to 4.6ghz

Associate
Just enable PBO and increase the motherboard PPT, EDC and TDC limits and let the processor overclock itself. Much easier and no stress testing required. :)

Enabling PBO voids the warranty as I understand it, also doesn't really do much as far as I understand it (in terms of overclocking)

we still haven’t discovered a single scenario in which PBO makes a meaningful difference in performance
Precision Boost OVERDRIVE and AutoOC are poorly named and poorly explained features that barely do anything and just serve to confuse the discussion

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3491-explaining-precision-boost-overdrive-benchmarks-auto-oc

Soldato
Impressed with 1USMUS ClockTuner for Ryzen. Knocked my 3600 up from 3950 all core to 4150 all core at lower voltage (it's a stinker of a chip). I found overclocking Ryzen much more of a chore than Intel offerings but ClockTuner does the hard work for you.
Wonder if it will be available for Ryzen 5000?

Soldato
I'm not totally convinced by modern overclocking, back in the day the gains were really significant. My P150/60MHz ran at 187.5/75MHz, 300MHz Celeron ran at 464MHz, 1GHz Thunderbird ran at 1.4GHz, and a 1.8GHz C2D at 3.2GHz... 40-50-70% This was immediately noticeable on bootup, night and day difference in games, taking low or mid-range hardware to top end performance.

Today's overclocking of a few hundred MHz, probably only really noticeable in benchmarks seems kind of pointless. CPU are, by default, operating much closer to the limits than they used to, this is a good thing.

Associate
My 2500K is a pretty great overclocker (compared to other CPUs I've had, but it can't hack it any more for modern games...

I'd love a new beastly overclocker of a chip, but I know that Ryzen plays it differently.

Associate
I want to know if they've finally got per core overclocking working as was rumoured a few months ago. This is what is hobbling manual overclocks right now, having to set clock speeds per cluster means you're always limited to the speed of the slowest core in the cluster. The option has been in Ryzen master for years but doesn't work. It really hurts my 3900XT as I have a massive spread of clock speeds within each cluster, my best cores are sprinkled around the chip instead of all in one place so I can never hit the speeds my individual cores are capable of with manual overclocks. Stuck with all cores at 4.4 to 4.5ish instead of 4.4 to 4.85. Per core overclocking is a massive Intel advantage at the moment for anyone looking to tweak things manually.

Associate
as far as we know now the only thing they've changed is that massive cache accessible by all 8 cores.. we have to wait for the reviews to find out if there is more to it

Soldato
I find it strange that the new parts have already been sold to consumers via various methods yet we havent go any concrete benchmarks, especially in games. Maybe there not as good as we think they will be in games.

Associate
as far as we know now the only thing they've changed is that massive cache accessible by all 8 cores.. we have to wait for the reviews to find out if there is more to it
Nah, there's this as well... (referring to the last line on the slide)

uc

Combined with the reduced latency from the 8 core config as well this should give a nice boost. (Original source.)

Here's the link to the rumour on per core overclocking too: https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cp..._per-core_overclocking_coming_to_ryzen_4000/1 (Original source.)

Back
Top Bottom