• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
it was very confusing because the mobile/laptop chips i do not understand why amd did that...
same on desktop with the APUs ... 3400g is actually a zen plus not zen2
and then r5 1600af that is a slower r5 2600 it is a mess

Associate
just because you don't care doesn't mean nobody does..
r5 3600 become very popular because of great price to performance...
same case was with gtx 970 and then gtx 1070... if something is good you do not need to convince people to buy it.
Great products do not need a lot of advertisement ..

Soldato
just because you don't care doesn't mean nobody does..
r5 3600 become very popular because of great price to performance...
same case was with gtx 970 and then gtx 1070... if something is good you do not need to convince people to buy it.
Great products do not need a lot of advertisement ..

IDK, a friend that's looking to build a racing sim called me last week to ask me about his PC parts selection and didn't even know the 5000 series existed. He was also looking to pay over $700 for a 2070S.

There are a lot of people who simply are not into PC stuff like we are. It will be a while before those people are aware/believe that AMD is actually on top now.

Associate
There are a lot of people who simply are not into PC stuff like we are. It will be a while before those people are aware/believe that AMD is actually on top now.
Yes.. that is very true.. customer awareness doesn't change that easily ..
People who are not tech savvy usually look for advise somewhere so this is a chance for "us" enthusiasts to make a difference

Associate
IDK, a friend that's looking to build a racing sim called me last week to ask me about his PC parts selection and didn't even know the 5000 series existed. He was also looking to pay over $700 for a 2070S.

Ooft, I'm glad you caught him beforehand!

Associate
mlid: About 1 million cpu made over the 4 skus for worldwide sale on Thursday. So about 300,000 up for grabs for your specific chosen sku. 5950x maybe only 150,000 due to complexity.

Apparently this is less than Zen 2 release.

Associate

Oh always going to be, mindshare takes time to trickle down to the masses.
sisters kid in May was going to make a massive upgrade and I said, wait to fall as amd and nvidia going to have new generations.
new cpu and gpus rocks from amd
He is now happy he waited.
But he just didn't know.

soon 5600x is going to rock my computer

Caporegime
mlid: About 1 million cpu made over the 4 skus for worldwide sale on Thursday. So about 300,000 up for grabs for your specific chosen sku. 5950x maybe only 150,000 due to complexity.

Apparently this is less than Zen 2 release.
I've decided I'll grab a 5900x. I wish there was a 5700x available at launch, but there isn't and the 5800x is priced too closely to the 5900x to be worth the savings. Very interested to see what my local prices are... sadly looks like no info until Thursday when I can order.

Soldato
I've decided I'll grab a 5900x. I wish there was a 5700x available at launch, but there isn't and the 5800x is priced too closely to the 5900x to be worth the savings. Very interested to see what my local prices are... sadly looks like no info until Thursday when I can order.

This is where I am at too I think - perhaps a 5700x would've done it for me!

Soldato

I'm still concerned about the 6X6 nature of the cores instead of just one unified "8".

One of the main points of this architecture is having up to 8 cores that don't need to "take the long way" to communicate with each other. I guess it's no big deal since 6 cores is fine for most games today, but I think the 5900X is just two great 6 core CPU's connected through the IO die.

I'm concerned about new games that may want more than 6 cores communicating with each other. I'm sure it will still be "okay" if that happens, but I would expect the latency to go up at that point.

Associate
I'm still concerned about the 6X6 nature of the cores instead of just one unified "8"
keep an eye on 1% fps differences in games. If there is a negative effect, it will be in worst case rather than averages.

Averages will probably be higher for 5900x due to higher boost clock, double size cache.

Rom

Rom

Associate
I'm still concerned about the 6X6 nature of the cores instead of just one unified "8".

One of the main points of this architecture is having up to 8 cores that don't need to "take the long way" to communicate with each other. I guess it's no big deal since 6 cores is fine for most games today, but I think the 5900X is just two great 6 core CPU's connected through the IO die.

I'm concerned about new games that may want more than 6 cores communicating with each other. I'm sure it will still be "okay" if that happens, but I would expect the latency to go up at that point.

From everything Ive read, the 3800x single CCX still get beat by the 3900x. The 1% lows are the same or better on the 3900x. Obviously this is just from the benchmarks Ive watched, could be some contradicting that out there.
Im still only just learning about AMD, but Im going for the 5900x.

That said, I think the 5600 / 5800 will be the more popular, and sensible choice for gaming. Certainly value wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom