• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone slightly nervous about going red?

Associate
My previous AMD CPU was a dual core Opteron 170 on Socket 939
Which I delidded. Put on direct die air cooler. Then undervolted so that it could run passively

Those were the days.

Associate
Not nervous, no.

Athlon Thunderbird 1200
Athlon Thoroughbred 2100
Athlon64 3800+
Athlon64 3800+ X2
Intel C2D E6600
Intel C2Q Q6700
Phenom2 1090T
Core i7 5820k
Core i5 4440 (htpc)
Ryzen 5 3600 (htpc - next month when below happens)
Ryzen 7 5800 (intended upgrade to 3600 currently in main pc)

Man of Honour
I'm more nervous about AMD GPUs than CPUs as the quality of the drivers seems to have more impact there. I've typically used Intel CPUs except for where AMD has brought out something compelling (I had 2 A64 cpus about 15 years ago, and 2 Ryzen cpus).

All else being equal I would probably go Intel but recently I've felt AMD has offered better value.

One area I've been a bit disappointed with AMD on is overclocking, historically I've always bought CPUs for their OC potential (dating back to the legendary Celeron 300A in the 90s) but haven't had much luck with Ryzen.

Soldato
OP
One area I've been a bit disappointed with AMD on is overclocking, historically I've always bought CPUs for their OC potential (dating back to the legendary Celeron 300A in the 90s) but haven't had much luck with Ryzen.

My AMD K6 2 450 clocked up about 50% I think. Doing some reading it sounds like the Ryzen 5000 series do overclock reasonably well (in comparison to previous Ryzen series) Guess we'll see in a few days

The only thing i'm nervous about now is not managing to get one next week!

Soldato
Nope, I’ve had plenty of CPU’s from both companies and never a problem. My first AMD cpu was an Athlon 700 (the cartridge type), had a 64 3400, x2’s, Phenom’s...never had a single problem. Got a real soft spot for AMD!

Soldato
AMD Athlon Thunderbvird 800MHz
AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1000MHz
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
AMD San Diego 3700+
Intel C2D E6500
Intel C2Q 9500
Intel 2500K
Intel 2600K
AMD Ryzen 3600

Always been happy with every processor I've had. I've never been shy of using either AMD or Intel, just gone for whoever has the best at the time.

Soldato
Haha! The Slot A cartridge CPUs?
My first AMD was one of those, what a beauty!

Yeah! Although we had plenty of ‘family’ computers before that, that was my first own pc, I was about 13 at the time. Of course I really wanted the 1Ghz version but that was proper high end ultimate stuff haha. Great times!

Soldato
I've been Intel ever since the fantastic AMD K6 2 450Mhz days.

I did try a friends Athlon and it was shocking in comparison to Intel. My current i7 4790k has lasted many years, as did the i5 2500K before it.

Switching over to AMD sort of makes me nervous as hear friends with Ryzen 9 (3900) and Ryzen 7 CPUs complaing of micro stutter whilst I have none. This may of couse be their GPU, RAM, Internet or something else.

Switching to a 5900X for ~£1000 (motherboard, RAM, CPU) is quite a big jump and have worries this micro stuter or other issues will plague my the AMD setup.

Does anyone feel similar? Does anyone have Ryzen builds that are fantasic with no issues at all? Anyone with issues?

This kind of nervousness is typical for people who become habituated (institutionalised?) into a way of behaving and doing things. And no, I wasn't nervous my first half dozen cpu's were all AMD.

I've had a motherboard (Asrock) I wasn't too happy with mainly due to noisy chipset fans and a problem where the memory wouldn't run at its stated 3600mhz not quite sure who's at fault there but otherwise its been seemless.

I wouldn't touch AMD.

All hail the Intel hive mind collective .

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ive hsd a few drinks but sure i created a ‘ryzen 5000 series owners’ thread. Has it been deleted or can i just not find it?

Man of Honour
One of the main reasons I went to Nvidia in the first place was because of AMDs **** poor drivers and lack of day 1 driver releases. I had countless issues for years with major titles, just gave up in the end. This was GPUs over course, but it always made be apprehensive about their cpus.

Soldato
I'm ready to swap back to AMD. I did have a 7990 last AMD card and for those that don't know it's a dual GPU card.

Micro stutter was brought to the attention of gamers by FCAT - a piece of software looking at frame times and latency. One game with my 7990 I couldn't solve a regular stutter (FarCry3?) but I think that was drivers and associated crossfire. All other games ran fine.

So yes I'm going back to AMD but I am nervous on drivers. Any new tech on release WILL often suffer from teething problems.

For those hat just want plug and play and everything to work - never buy new tech with new architecture - as an early adopter there will be some fettling on release. Zen 2 CPU's were a bit finickety at the beginning with RAM support, chipset drivers motherboard development and BIOS's etc. If you want hassle free upgrades, wait a few months for new releases to develop drivers etc. Plenty of people with new green cards currently with black screens at certain resolutions and refresh rates. The rushed release and early drivers wont help but they will become flawless cards.

Nvidia fluffed their release with inability to supply from a poor yeilding node by Samsung and not from the big 2 silicon foundries.

Still gonna wait for independent reviews and get all these new techs such as DLSS and AMD's equivalent broken down by techtubers etc to get past the sales pitch from either GPU company.

Back
Top Bottom