• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Ampere RTX 3070 Owners Thread

Associate
MSI Trio been shipped for delivery tomorrow, typically I've been looking to move from ITX to ATX with a new AMD system and thus need a new case. Buying the big chungus of the MSI has significantly expedited the case buying procedure, so this is also coming tomorrow. Going to look absolutely ridiculous having a mid tower with an ITX board and a 323mm long GPU hung off it :p

Associate
Mine arrived about mid day, waiting on a full cover waterblock and getting a 5950x before it gets installed though. New Bykski cpu block, CH8 Impact and a G.Skill C15 4000mhz kit are waiting with it. Its bloody heavy for its size, a right chunky monkey!

uc

Last edited:
Associate
Mine arrived about mid day, waiting on a waterblock and getting a 5950x before it gets installed though. New Bykski cpu block, CH8 Impact and a G.Skill C15 4000mhz kit are both waiting with it. Its bloody heavy for its size, a right chunky monkey!

uc

lovely mate. Tell us how it performs. :D

And pls for the love of god take the stickers of the monitor. Thats so chav.

Associate
lovely mate. Tell us how it performs. :D

And pls for the love of god take the stickers of the monitor. Thats so chav.

Stickers and peel stay on for resale reasons not for looks - I don't even notice I've been doing it for that long. Have done this with my last 4 monitors and when advertised they always sell within a day or two. Probably more superstition by this point as I've not had to do a screen RMA for years either...though I never buy anything without a power brick anymore either and that seems to have helped too. Having said that I love this screen and can't see myself changing it any time soon, its already 2 years old.

Definitely not a style statement anyway! ;)

Associate
I am quite underwhelmed by mine.
Battlefield V is unplayable (think it always has been) and I am getting 50 fps at 1080p
The Division 2 is about an extra 20 fps over my old Vega 64
Hitman 2, pretty much the same FPS (about 90).
I have a 2600, do not think it is being bottle necked?

Soldato
Battlefield V is unplayable (think it always has been) and I am getting 50 fps at 1080p

Yeah big time, bag a 3600 or a 5600X

Associate

Depends on your cpu and memory overclock/tweaking as to the extent, but you will definitely be being bottlenecked at 1080p (though im surprised you're only getting 50fps in BF5 @ 1080p). My 3900xt @ 4.5ish bottlenecks hard at 1080p with a 1080ti so your 2600 with a Vega 64 will be even more. Check average cpu usage and memory usage using hwinfo during a gaming session, if you're hitting 70%+ on either its a bottleneck and you should see corresponding low GPU usage/temperature to confirm it. Your choice of components is definitely unbalanced for 1080p though, I'd have upgraded your cpu and memory instead of the GPU as the Vega 56 and 64 will do just fine in anything at 1080p. You should be looking at the 3070 for 1080p/1440p high refresh rate gaming and low refresh rate 4k DLSS, as a consequence of that you should be matching it with a fast 6 or 8 core cpu and a good 2x8gb memory kit.

Things to check:

Make sure memory is running correct frequency and timings using CPUz.
Check cpu temperature for throttling under load using hwinfo64.
Check for HDD and Memory errors - error correction and HDD reseeking reads can really screw with your gaming experience.
Run 3dmark, check cpu score against other 2600 based systems.
Run Geekbench (any version), check cpu and memory score against other systems.

Associate
Depends on your cpu and memory overclock/tweaking as to the extent, but you will definitely be being bottlenecked at 1080p (though im surprised you're only getting 50fps in BF5 @ 1080p). My 3900xt @ 4.5ish bottlenecks hard at 1080p with a 1080ti so your 2600 with a Vega 64 will be even more. Check average cpu usage and memory usage using hwinfo during a gaming session, if you're hitting 70%+ on either its a bottleneck and you should see corresponding low GPU usage/temperature to confirm it. Your choice of components is definitely unbalanced for 1080p though, I'd have upgraded your cpu and memory instead of the GPU as the Vega 56 and 64 will do just fine in anything at 1080p. You should be looking at the 3070 for 1080p/1440p high refresh rate gaming and low refresh rate 4k DLSS, as a consequence of that you should be matching it with a fast 6 or 8 core cpu and a good 2x8gb memory kit.

Things to check:

Make sure memory is running correct frequency and timings using CPUz.
Check cpu temperature for throttling under load using hwinfo64.
Check for HDD and Memory errors - error correction and HDD reseeking reads can really screw with your gaming experience.
Run 3dmark, check cpu score against other 2600 based systems.
Run Geekbench (any version), check cpu and memory score against other systems.
Thanks. I do have a 144hz monitor.
The battlefield V issue was related to V sync.
I may return the 3070 and get a 3600 instead.
Or wait it out and get a 5600
I have 16GB if 3200mhz memory.
I think the battlefield issue is isolated but hitman 2 and division 2 are quite a bit lower than the benchmarks

Associate
Thanks. I do have a 144hz monitor.
The battlefield V issue was related to V sync.
I may return the 3070 and get a 3600 instead.
Or wait it out and get a 5600
I have 16GB if 3200mhz memory.
I think the battlefield issue is isolated but hitman 2 and division 2 are quite a bit lower than the benchmarks

Glad you sorted the BF5 problem, 50fps was way too low. On the subject of your upgrade, if you cant afford to get both cpu and gpu upgrade then I would sell the 3070 rather than return it, you'll make a tidy profit that you can put towards a 5600x over the 3600. If you do go for a Ryzen 3600 or 5600 (strong recommendation for a 5000 series over a 3000 series, the gaming performance looks to be much better) get some faster memory - 3600mhz C16 or faster. Depends how into tweaking you are really, you can save some money by tweaking up a 3200mhz C14 kit or go straight for a 3600mhz C14 kit if you want to make sure there's minimal bottleneck there.

Soldato
Glad you sorted the BF5 problem, 50fps was way too low. On the subject of your upgrade, if you cant afford to get both cpu and gpu upgrade then I would sell the 3070 rather than return it, you'll make a tidy profit that you can put towards a 5600x over the 3600. If you do go for a Ryzen 3600 or 5600 (strong recommendation for a 5000 series over a 3000 series, the gaming performance looks to be much better) get some faster memory - 3600mhz C16 or faster. Depends how into tweaking you are really, you can save some money by tweaking up a 3200mhz C14 kit or go straight for a 3600mhz C14 kit if you want to make sure there's minimal bottleneck there.

Upgrading his ram will make zero difference to FPS and if he's struggling to afford the upgrade as it is then changing the ram is an unnecessary expense.
Upgrading the CPU is needed. Either sell the 3070 and upgrade the CPU instead or put up with lower performance while saving for a CPU upgrade

Associate
I received my Zotac 3070 Twin Edge yesterday, tested doing folding at home. The card boosts nicely to 1950mhz core with temp and power limit max. This card seems to be limited by the cooling and power I feel. I managed to get it up to 2040mhz core without any voltage adjustment.

Associate
Upgrading his ram will make zero difference to FPS and if he's struggling to afford the upgrade as it is then changing the ram is an unnecessary expense.
Upgrading the CPU is needed. Either sell the 3070 and upgrade the CPU instead or put up with lower performance while saving for a CPU upgrade
Thanks both. I can afford a new CPU but it is trying to justify spending another £200. I could sell the 3070 and make a profit but that is not me. I could return it (I'm sure the retailer will have no issues selling it on).
Decision decisions

Associate
So what's everyone's thoughts, is an i5 8600 non-k going to hold back the 3070? I'm honestly very close to picking up a 5600x next week anyway, but just a curiousity really.

Associate
So what's everyone's thoughts, is an i5 8600 non-k going to hold back the 3070? I'm honestly very close to picking up a 5600x next week anyway, but just a curiousity really.

People dont understand how gaming on pc works.
Buys a gpu that is held back by the cpu, big time.
then complains about no difference or not enough.
You want to have a 5600x series cpu from amd to not be cpu limited. (Intel is)
My sisters kid reason the same and I just tells him how it works.
The cpu even bottlenecks on 1440p now.
its why I planned the upgrade to ryzen 5600x.

Associate
People dont understand how gaming on pc works.
Buys a gpu that is held back by the cpu, big time.
then complains about no difference or not enough.
You want to have a 5600x series cpu from amd to not be cpu limited. (Intel is)
My sisters kid reason the same and I just tells him how it works.
The cpu even bottlenecks on 1440p now.
its why I planned the upgrade to ryzen 5600x.
I must have missed the part where I apparently complained? I merely asked a question, and as I said I was already pretty set on a 5600x regardless.

Back
Top Bottom