Can I use 11/16 flexible tubing with 12/16 compression fittings?

Soldato
I can't seem to find much 12/16 tubing so I'm hoping to use 11/16. Any tips?

Also, this is my first loop. Do I actually need to know the water temperature? Do I need any control at all? Really unsure on this.

I'm just putting my GPU in a loop. I have the waterblock, 240 rad, pump and resovoir combo, fittings, and I'm about to order tubing and fluid.

Am I missing anything?

Last edited:
Soldato
Looking on EK website & on Overclockers website they both actually recommend using 11/16 tubing with there 12/16 torque fittings.

I'll be using 11/16mm tubing with my 12/16 EK torque fittings when I start the new build in a few weeks.
I've already tried piece of tubing on one of the fittings & fit is good IMO

Man of Honour
Looking on EK website & on Overclockers website they both actually recommend using 11/16 tubing with there 12/16 torque fittings.

I'll be using 11/16mm tubing with my 12/16 EK torque fittings when I start the new build in a few weeks.
Tx , bang goes my theory .

Could you kindly post a link.

Associate
Water temps are nice to know, but not mandatory, you're good to go from what I see on your list, just something to keep in mind, your 240mm rad may not cut it if you decide to add your cpu to the loop later on depending on model and voltages, I would maybe go with a 360mm rad now so you have the option to add the cpu to the loop later and not have to purchase another radiator if the 240mm is not enough

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies chaps. I thought I'd been following my own thread, but apparently not...

Wouldn't risk it.

Your trying to put a 11mm inner onto a 12mm fitting so if it stretches will make the outer 17mm in theory.

Hah controversial. The link would be good if you have it? Is it not going to make tightening the tube up a real pain?

Reading this thread, it doesn't look like the best

Water temps are nice to know, but not mandatory, you're good to go from what I see on your list, just something to keep in mind, your 240mm rad may not cut it if you decide to add your cpu to the loop later on depending on model and voltages, I would maybe go with a 360mm rad now so you have the option to add the cpu to the loop later and not have to purchase another radiator if the 240mm is not enough

Good, thank you. What's the benefit in knowing the temps?

I've got a Corsair H80i, so no need to add the CPU to the loop. I'm moving to a much smaller case anyway, so I'm not sure I'd be able to fit a 360 rad. Easier that I leave it and maybe buy another 240 if I ever need it.

Man of Honour
Hah controversial. The link would be good if you have it? Is it not going to make tightening the tube up a real pain?

Good, thank you. What's the benefit in knowing the temps?

I've got a Corsair H80i, so no need to add the CPU to the loop. I'm moving to a much smaller case anyway, so I'm not sure I'd be able to fit a 360 rad. Easier that I leave it and maybe buy another 240 if I ever need it.

A call to overclockers or an email to ek will confirm the tube size question..

Monitoring the temps will allow you to adjust the fans accordingly.

Soldato
OP
A call to overclockers or an email to ek will confirm the tube size question..

Monitoring the temps will allow you to adjust the fans accordingly.

I already spoke to them and they said no! But I've got all sorts of random fittings and the only complete sets I have are 16/12 and 16/20 for some reason. I'm thinking I might just give it a go. Worst case, I've wasted £3.49 of tubing.

Associate
Monitoring your water temps, gives you much better control over your loop, but there's nothing wrong with working off your cpu temps should you choose to do it that way too

Soldato
OP
Monitoring your water temps, gives you much better control over your loop, but there's nothing wrong with working off your cpu temps should you choose to do it that way too

Presumably there isn't much you can do if your water temp is too high anyway? Just do the same things you'd do if your GPU temp was too high?

Am I right in saying that I'd need some other piece of kit to monitor the water temps anyway, where the GPU inevitable reports it to Afterburner?

Associate
water temp sensors are another cost, water temp is of interest as it's the fluid that is carrying the heat away from your parts, so you can check the efficiency of your loop, it's not required unless you want that level of control.
You will be fine just setting your rad fan speeds to step up as your cpu heats up whether it's in your bios, or through your mobo's utility apps like Asus AI Suite. Get your first loop done, get it running with no leaks and cooling and then you can add other parts as and when you please.

Even on EKWB's website they recommend and sell 16,1/11,1 tubing to use with their 16/12 fittings, so I am assuming you are fine there if you get their brand of tubing. If you're in doubt just email EKWB support they will give you an answer.

Soldato
OP
water temp sensors are another cost, water temp is of interest as it's the fluid that is carrying the heat away from your parts, so you can check the efficiency of your loop, it's not required unless you want that level of control.
You will be fine just setting your rad fan speeds to step up as your cpu heats up whether it's in your bios, or through your mobo's utility apps like Asus AI Suite. Get your first loop done, get it running with no leaks and cooling and then you can add other parts as and when you please.

Even on EKWB's website they recommend and sell 16,1/11,1 tubing to use with their 16/12 fittings, so I am assuming you are fine there if you get their brand of tubing. If you're in doubt just email EKWB support they will give you an answer.

Awesome, thank you. I've taken the risk and ordered the 16/11 mm tubing as I literally couldn't find 16/12 anywhere. The fitting is actually more like 16/12.5 mm so we'll see how it goes. Otherwise, I think I'll just have to get some new fittings.

I decided not to get the temperature sensor. As you say, I'll just manage the temps how I always have done. I'm aiming to achieve a couple of things here - a quieter PC and allowing my GTX 970 to sit happily with its overclock instead of being limited by temperature.

I didn't bother getting a drain at this point...the reservoir could be rotated and the top connections opened to drain the loop if necessary.

Now I've just got to wait for the bloody radiator to come in stock..!

Man of Honour
I have 16/10mm tubing over 7/16" fittings and although it's a tight fit you can make it easier by holding the end of the tubing in hot water to soften it. 10/16mm tubing also fits onto 1/2" fittings but that's a much tighter fit and probably best avoided.

On the subject of water temp monitoring I wouldn't be without it. I used to have a pair of inline water temp sensors, one at the inlet of my case and one on the outlet to measure the difference before and after my cooled components. I ditched that idea after a while as the difference was only a couple of 10ths of a degree and pretty pointless. I now just have a single inline temp sensor just before the reservoir. For less than a fiver it's something well worth having. Mine is a Phobya and outputs to a small LCD screen I have mounted just above the res so I can clearly see it. I have 8x Arctic Cooling P14 140mm fans in push/pull on my pair of Hardware Labs GTX280 rads and they are controlled by a Lamptron fan controller. Most of the time I can run them at 780rpm at 4.5v while keeping my water temp in the low 20's (rads are mounted in a box on a windowsill sucking outside air through them) but having a water temp sensor let's me keep a eye on the loop temp so I can increase the fan speeds if I want to keep my temps low. One day I will invest in a Aquaero and loads of sensors but for now I am very happy with the way I have things setup.

Back
Top Bottom