• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How will Nvidia react to the AMD 6000 series launch?

Caporegime
I think there is another 10% performance to come from the 3090 once NVidia get the drivers sorted out for the card.

ATM the gap between the 3080 and 3090 is too close for the hardware used and could be down to the drivers.

I dont see it like that. I think Nvidia squeezed the maximum performance they could from both the chips. Even 500W bioses and 4 slots coolers just get you a few percent. If nvidia had launched their cards at normal clocks and power, AMD would have beaten them convincedly at all points by a good margin, good enough people wouldnt have cared if it was then only slightly slower in RT as no card is ready for RT yet, thats going to be next gen's cards

Soldato
I dont see it like that. I think Nvidia squeezed the maximum performance they could from both the chips. Even 500W bioses and 4 slots coolers just get you a few percent. If nvidia had launched their cards at normal clocks and power, AMD would have beaten them convincedly at all points by a good margin, good enough people wouldnt have cared if it was then only slightly slower in RT as no card is ready for RT yet, thats going to be next gen's cards

Also worth pointing out how quickly Nvidia fans looked the other way, when faced with some of the hottest, loudest (some models, not mythical unobtainable FE) and highest heat generating GPU's ever released.

Associate
If nvidia had launched their cards at normal clocks and power, AMD would have beaten them convincedly at all points by a good margin, good enough people wouldnt have cared if it was then only slightly slower in RT as no card is ready for RT yet, thats going to be next gen's cards
AMD haven't held back either. 300W TBP for the 6800XT will translate into 325-350W AIB cards. Considering they're on a supposedly more efficient mode it's quite a high wattage. It seems to be the norm with the built-in boosts that there isn't much headroom available now.

Caporegime
AMD haven't held back either. 300W TBP for the 6800XT will translate into 325-350W AIB cards. Considering they're on a supposedly more efficient mode it's quite a high wattage. It seems to be the norm with the built-in boosts that there isn't much headroom available now.

325W-350W is a long way short of the 450W -500W bios that AIB are putting on the Nvidia cards.

I have yet to see any AIB AMD cards with more than two power connectors, even on the Asus models.

And apart from the 3090, the AMD boards have 60% more memory to power as well.

Soldato
325W-350W is a long way short of the 450W -500W bios that AIB are putting on the Nvidia cards.

I have yet to see any AIB AMD cards with more than two power connectors, even on the Asus models.

And apart from the 3090, the AMD boards have 60% more memory to power as well.

Can you link to the Nvidia card that comes with 450W-500W bios factory installed from the AIB? 400W is the highest that I have seen and that's the 3090 Rog Strix.

10GB GDDR6x vs 16 GDDR6 I don't think there is too much of difference there in regards to power consumption. GDDR6x consumes more power because of the speed it runs at.

The point @five8five was making is perfectly valid. AMD have had to push the boat out too. The 6800XT is on a much more power efficient process and smaller die size(628nm vs 536nm) and almost 2billion less transistors but still need 300W+ power.

And I think it's brilliant that they did that. I said it ages ago. If AMD wanted to compete they would have to push things. If they had used normal clocks and power AMD would have been way behind.

But they didn't and now we are back to having competition again from high to low. All I hope is that they do like they did with Ryzen and keep improving on things with each future generation.

And people are saying oh Nvidia will have to release their super cards early etc. etc as if that's a bad thing. Isn't this what we have all wanted for years? Both companies pushing each other to do better.

Associate
Nvidia will bring the 3080ti and a 3090 titan, the line up will end up being 3080 to 3090, then 3080ti and titan, that's if NVidia can get any more out of the core with selected silicone and push the power limits. The only thing which will negate that will be 6800xt and 6900xt overclocking ability. if the new 6000 AMD series clock well
it will end up being a token uplift by Nvidia, biggest thing going for Nvidia is the lead in ray tracing but with so few games and the 6800XT already beating the 2080ti in RT the 3080 series holding top spot in RT is the one plus going Nvidia's way. Plus i think they will have to look at prices. they could have cleaned up with early sales if only they had stock.
its almost like Nvidia knew big navi was going to beat them, so they rushed the launch to get out there first, but with very little stock.

NVidia have been spanked this round and they know it. price performance will generate sales, like intel they will be licking there wounds and might show there hand in the next few months, but first they have to get all the pre orders sold before people change there minds and go RED

Associate
Can you link to the Nvidia card that comes with 450W-500W bios factory installed from the AIB? 400W is the highest that I have seen and that's the 3090 Rog Strix.

10GB GDDR6x vs 16 GDDR6 I don't think there is too much of difference there in regards to power consumption. GDDR6x consumes more power because of the speed it runs at.

The point @five8five was making is perfectly valid. AMD have had to push the boat out too. The 6800XT is on a much more power efficient process and smaller die size(628nm vs 536nm) and almost 2billion less transistors but still need 300W+ power.

And I think it's brilliant that they did that. I said it ages ago. If AMD wanted to compete they would have to push things. If they had used normal clocks and power AMD would have been way behind.

But they didn't and now we are back to having competition again from high to low. All I hope is that they do like they did with Ryzen and keep improving on things with each future generation.

And people are saying oh Nvidia will have to release their super cards early etc. etc as if that's a bad thing. Isn't this what we have all wanted for years? Both companies pushing each other to do better.

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/new-bios-raises-power-limit-for-evgas-rtx-3080-and-3090-cards

Soldato

not sure about 10% but Turing cards have gained 5% performance comparing latest drivers vs launch drivers

Soldato
Also worth pointing out how quickly Nvidia fans looked the other way, when faced with some of the hottest, loudest (some models, not mythical unobtainable FE) and highest heat generating GPU's ever released.

which ones are hot and loud? All reviews I've seen run cool and quiet and most people regardless of brand don't care about power draw it seems.

Soldato
The 3090 is like 7% faster at 1440p than 3080. The 2080 Ti was 20% faster than the 2080. Where does 3080 Ti fit?

They also release a 7nm rtx3090ti - that's how it fits in (ga102, full 84 SM unlocked and boosts to 2.3ghz): 10-15% faster than 3090

Soldato

But that's not really true is it...
Nvidia's GTX 480/470 and AMD's 5970 pulled over 470w under load back in the day
The 3080/3090 also run cooler and quieter than many previous cards

Soldato
But that's not really true is it...
Nvidia's GTX 480/470 and AMD's 5970 pulled over 470w under load back in the day
The 3080/3090 also run cooler and quieter than many previous cards

The rtx3090 cards run 20-30c cooler and 20db quieter than high end cards from 10 years ago - yet he wants to claim that people are ignoring the hot loud cards, $10 says he hasn't even looked at a single review and just puts out some misconceptions

Back
Top Bottom