Best tyres for Skoda Superb?

Associate
Tyres are a real minefield. My Skoda Superb will require new front tyres fairly soon. It has 19” wheels (235-40-19). Do I want run flat? Do all tyres have a rim protect feature? I’m thinking ‘all season’ type and good quality.

I would be happy to buy online and get them fitted at my local garage if the price was right.

I know squat about car tyres so thought I would ask on here! Thanks.

Soldato
Just get decent regular tyres. I always get something with "A" rated wet grip, and the best I can for fuel consumption & noise. Usual brands- Goodyear, Michelin, Pirelli, etc if you can afford them.

Associate
Runflats are going to give you the security of puncture protection at the cost of ride quality and they're a fair bit more expensive if i remember correctly.
If you carry a puncture repair gel and inflator (which i think most newer cars do, though could be wrong) then going regular tyre is probably better.
As to what type, going for any well reputed tyres by the main brands michelin, continental, pirelli are going to be much of a muchness, if you wanted a more sporty summer tyre then it would be a bit more specific but i'd think all weathers are all fairly similar.

Soldato
You can only use run-flats if the car is designed for them. It needs the sensors to be able to tell you that you've got a flat. Well, that's my understanding anyway.

Soldato
Run-flats do lower the ride quality quite a lot. As well as increase road noise.

You could try something like Rainsports. Since it's usually just wet in a UK winter.

Associate
This is the same size as my Mondeo Estate and I'm in the same boat with all four needing to be changed in the not too distant future.

You can get the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 or 4S for about £170 a corner from black circles in this size. I'm basically stuck between the two. I know the 4S is the technically better tyre but it seems to be more track focused and I wonder if the standard 4 is the better one to go for on cars like these, I think either would be a great choice though.

Associate
Totally different car but I've got Pilot Sport 4s on my FK2 - 235/35/19 so very similar size - they're superb (excuse the pun lol), so I'd have no hesitation recommending these - they have a decent lip as well vs the previous Continentals as well.

Black circles seem to have regular offers on these as well - had a few emails dropping in my inbox with 15% off if you buy two etc.

Soldato
Michelin pilot sport 4/4s if you don’t mind the extra spend

Uniroyal rain sports for anything else

I’ve got over 1/2 million miles logged on rainsports in different cars and can’t fault them at all although they are a bit quicker wearing than the Michelin’s

Associate
I'm not sure how sensitive the Haldex system is (if it is 4wd) but isn't it advised to change all corners at once?
At least that was recommended on my old subaru, unsure if it's just the always on 4wd systems it matters with!

Permabanned
Tyres are a real minefield. My Skoda Superb will require new front tyres fairly soon. It has 19” wheels (235-40-19). Do I want run flat? Do all tyres have a rim protect feature? I’m thinking ‘all season’ type and good quality.

I would be happy to buy online and get them fitted at my local garage if the price was right.

I know squat about car tyres so thought I would ask on here! Thanks.

I read about Michelin Cross climate but there seems to be choice under that brand and type!

Another vote for Michelin Crossclimate+ XL:

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rshop/Tyr...6Y-XL---mit-Felgenschutzleiste--FSL-/R-418741

Soldato
I'm not sure how sensitive the Haldex system is (if it is 4wd) but isn't it advised to change all corners at once?
At least that was recommended on my old subaru, unsure if it's just the always on 4wd systems it matters with!
It depends on the differential locations but at a minimum, it should be per axle replacements

Can't type for toffee
Don
Run-flats do lower the ride quality quite a lot. As well as increase road noise.

You could try something like Rainsports. Since it's usually just wet in a UK winter.

Rainsport 3's were my goto for years when I had my 6MPS, GY Eagle F1's were atrocious
Me mate was saying the Rainsport 5s aren't being received well

Had the Michelin cross climates on the C-Max and don't rate them much personally
The Tourneo had whatever it was that they come with haha not even sure what brand they were.

Picked up my new car last week, Skoda Kodiaq 2.0TSI comes with Pirelli Scorpions and they seen pretty decent.
DOnt seem to give much road noise but Ive not had a drive in proper wet yet

Back
Top Bottom