MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge WIFI, fan header questions

Associate
Hello :)

If I use a case fan that has a 3-pin DC fan connector on a 4-pin PWM fan connector/header that is on the mobo , will I able to control the fan speed with the bios our will they go full speed? & will a fan with 3-pin fan connector work on a 4-pin mobo fan connectors/headers

I will be upgrading my pc case with a fractal-design meshify c soon & it comes with 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 fans. be nice to know if I need to buy any other bits to control the fan speeds.

Thank you for your time.

Associate
I have this motherboard, the 3 pin control can go from 0-100%, but the fans will tend to stall about 50-60%. You can define a fan curve of speed vs temperature in the bios for each header individually. I run all my fans and watercooling pump from the motherboard.

Associate
OP
Thank you all for the info.

lord filbuster can I ask what bios version you have on the mobo ? With you saying the fans stalling about 50/60% be good fault finding route if it does the same for when I install my own fans.

Associate
Thank you all for the info.

lord filbuster can I ask what bios version you have on the mobo ? With you saying the fans stalling about 50/60% be good fault finding route if it does the same for when I install my own fans.

I have the latest bios version 7C37v1C2, the one that was released in late September on the MSI site.

The fans stalling isnt really a fault, its just a limitation of 3 pin control. It works by lowering the voltage going to the fans, and most will need at least 6V to actually spin. So you'll not be able to go any lower than that without using 4pin pwm fans, which don't use voltage control. For a case fan I doubt it matters too much, my case fans are basically silent at 50% anyway, but I'm watercooling, so they are just there to get a bit of air moving in the case, I think I just have them set at 50% the whole time anyway.
One thing that caught me out for a bit is the fan headers on the motherboard are all 4pin pwm capable, but if you do use a 3pin fan, you need to set the fan control mode to DC in the bios, otherwise they'll run at full speed all the time.

Associate
OP
Righto cheers for all the info , going try get my new case before new lock down kicks in give me something do :) .

Back
Top Bottom