SkodaMart’s ‘green air’ solution.

Associate
Seems like the appropriate thread to ask the OP what I need to run behind the stud walls of my garage for a future charge point install

Soldato
OP
Seems like the appropriate thread to ask the OP what I need to run behind the stud walls of my garage for a future charge point install

Assuming you have a single phase supply (as most of us do) your maximum charge rate will be 7kW or 32A.
Depends if the cable needs to be run outdoors or if the charge point can be mounted directly to an external wall as to the cable type required.
32A requires 6-10mm cable so to be on the safe side install 10mm twin & earth.
6mm 3 core SWA should be ok if it needs to be run externally.
(Providing length of run isn’t excessive - it shouldn’t be in a domestic property).

Caporegime
Unnecessary use of vehicles is my number one.
Don't blame the van, blame the silly contract.
Quit your job. Then you won’t need to drive and you can cycle everyone like you are preaching to everyone else.

A big flaw is confusing co2 with emissions too. As mentioned nitrous oxides and particulates are the issue. So a 30mpg Eu6 engineer may actually have less emissions than a 60mpg EU4/5 engine.

Soldato
OP
Why are you skeptical, you dont believe the numbers or because it would cause you to need to reassess your views on the Ev transition?

No I don’t believe what we are being told.
I find it impossible to believe demand hasn’t increased.
Also farcical that we can’t even meet our own demand here in the U.K.
(That’s before we start installing electric charge points in each home)
You do realise it’s like cooking Christmas dinner all night charging an electric car?
Imagine that for the entire street.
totally blows the entire thing out of the water.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Quit your job. Then you won’t need to drive and you can cycle everyone like you are preaching to everyone else.

A big flaw is confusing co2 with emissions too. As mentioned nitrous oxides and particulates are the issue. So a 30mpg Eu6 engineer may actually have less emissions than a 60mpg EU4/5 engine.

I ain’t preaching.
I’m telling you how it’s going to be.
If you think everyone is going to be ripping up the motorways in Tesla’s, clean air and rabbits hopping about at the side of the road (I think) you are sadly mistaken

particulates are the issue with diesel.
Massive issue.
Also car companies fiddling emissions control tests to allow ridiculous cars onto the road in the first place.

You do realise it’s like cooking Christmas dinner all night charging an electric car?

Ok, im out then
Enjoy your CT nutjob thread

Soldato

EU regs on power consumption of products has done as much for reducing emissions as renewables. Anyone remember the people kicking off over hoovers and light bulbs etc.? Well there are studies out there that suggests it worked and has significantly lowered demand across the EU. It’s not all about sorting out the supply but reducing demand is well in the scope of possibility and actually happening.

You need to think about the second part again. Not every car needs to be charged from empty every day. The average U.K. mileage is down to something like 8500 miles or under 25/day. That’s less than an 8kwh per day of additional use per vehicle. It’s less than 6 for an efficient car from Tesla or Hyundai.

The national grid as models the effect of transitioning all vehicles to electric and determines they have sufficient capacity already (just not between 4pm and 8 pm). The problem is managing demand, time of use tariffs and ‘smart’ chargers/meters are the solution and they already exist.

I still don’t know why you are sceptical
of the renewables numbers. The U.K. has invested and built heavily in the sector at the same time as turning off all the coal power stations and filled any gaps with gas which is much cleaner than the solid fuel alternatives.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Then you won’t need to drive and you can cycle everyone like you are preaching to everyone else.

2-3am last night I drove past someone pushing their bike up a steep hill in torrential rain and remembered why I don't cycle :s

Soldato
OP
Well it seems we are now bringing the end of internal combustion sales to an end in 2030.
It’s hard to even comprehend.

The ‘point’ of my suggestions was to try to delay this.
I personally don’t think we are ready

Back
Top Bottom