• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Watchdogs at 4K

Soldato
Well, if you add enough performance consuming options to anything, you can make it run sub optimally. Turn down the shadows, no on cares about those effects anyway.

The geometry and texture settings are probably the most visually important ones, and the resolution.

Ray tracing is new and developers probably want to see how far they can push it.

I hope developers in the future just add a console parity option to PC games with no FPS cap, that would save a lot of messing about / repeated benchmark testing.

Soldato
Doesn't really work like that. People think id optimise their games very well because they run well but at its core doom is very limited in what it does, and that's why it can get such high fps - but not saying they're not great programmers also. When you look at something like Rage 2 tho, which they co-developed and is also more open-world, you start seeing that a lot of that reputation for optimisation isn't so apparent anymore. :p Even that comes nowhere close to the sort of AI & NPC background tasks that go on in this game though.

the developers are brilliant, You maybe don't realise how much harder OpenGL & OpenCL are compared to DirectX

OpenGL is very difficult to work with, the fact they have used OpenGL in the past & now Vulkan shows there dedication to their craft.

Very little developers can program anything in OpenGL, or have even tried vulkan.

They are masters of their craft.its like the Tony Hawks of the Skater world. or studio ghibli of Animation.
True Masters. RAge was an outlyier due to bad managed from the co-developer

Soldato
Well, if you add enough performance consuming options to anything, you can make it run sub optimally. Turn down the shadows, no on cares about those effects anyway.

The geometry and texture settings are probably the most visually important ones, and the resolution.

Ray tracing is new and developers probably want to see how far they can push it.

I hope developers in the future just add a console parity option to PC games with no FPS cap, that would save a lot of messing about / repeated benchmark testing.
agreed PS5/Xbox Setting would be nice to see, i believe one game did do that? Death Strading maybe?

Associate

agreed PS5/Xbox Setting would be nice to see, i believe one game did do that? Death Strading maybe?

Same I agree, it would be really helpful for comparisons. Some developers will flat out just tell you what settings the console versions use, I think Rockstar did this with GTA V. It's also helpful to be able to inspect the console file system to be able to read the config files for the games and just read off the raw values a lot of these things are set to. I dunno if you can do that with the next gen consoles, I hope so. Otherwise might have to wait until their DRM is cracked to gain access.

Soldato
Did the HW unboxed settings and got it running around 55-65 fps @ 1440p which is okay for this kind of game, quite enjoyed the audio logs but had 3 crash to desktops in first 1h 50m so refunded it. Annoyingly, I burnt through one of my £10 coupons on epic game store.

Soldato

Some games do this, they have a default graphics option in the menu which is 1:1 match with consoles - but not many

Soldato
You can see very clearly here how much of a problem it is on the CPU side rather than GPU, he goes through all DLSS & RTX & Native:

Associate
Settings are there for you to turn down, not up. The starting point is maximum everything, then tweak downwards to suit. :)

Not if you're big on modding the game by editing the engine variables yourself. Then you can go up past the max and have skyrim with 300% grass density and 900% draw distance.

Don't tell the maxlets that though, it'll short them right out. :D

Associate
I got 60fps fairly consistently out of it with Raytracing set to high and DLSS set to balanced. I also knocked down shadows from Ultra to Very High, everything else left to max.

The reflections and stuff look great but I have to say I think the character models are pretty poor, and the cars are shocking....

3800x and MSI 3080

Soldato
Or one could say, why do game developers put in absolutely punishing settings that add very little visual uplift for massive impact. From that hardware unboxed video, get an easy 20% increase in FPS for little visual change over ultra. A few more tweaks and that goes up. The consoles while they will be powerful, will most certainly use lower level visuals also.

Its so the PC master race have something to justify their GPU spending with. :D

Associate
I have to say it doesn't look half bad though, credit for this screenshot to the guys on the resetera forum

The reflections in the water of the cars is nice, it's a subtle use that really adds depth to the scene. The SSAO stuff to get minor shadows in the stone buildings is very nice especially with the vertical lighting. There's a lot of mesh detail going on way into the background which is more obvious with a 4k monitor in full screen. It's definitely a game that looks better at night that's for sure.

I expect performance can be improved and probably will be improved as Nvidia and AMD fight over optimizations to get it running better, sadly much of that happens post launch.

CzZ8HMn.jpg

Soldato
I have to say it doesn't look half bad though, credit for this screenshot to the guys on the resetera forum

The reflections in the water of the cars is nice, it's a subtle use that really adds depth to the scene. The SSAO stuff to get minor shadows in the stone buildings is very nice especially with the vertical lighting. There's a lot of mesh detail going on way into the background which is more obvious with a 4k monitor in full screen. It's definitely a game that looks better at night that's for sure.

I expect performance can be improved and probably will be improved as Nvidia and AMD fight over optimizations to get it running better, sadly much of that happens post launch.

CzZ8HMn.jpg
Honestly it looks absolutely fantastic in 4k hdr. Perhaps the best game graphically I've ever played. Shame it's so cpu limited.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Set shadows to high instead of ultra, insane performance boost and you can't see the difference

Game looks great at 4K with Raytracing on
“I don’t care if you cannot see the difference, you should not need to turn down settings on a brand new flagship card!”

“There must be a difference otherwise the devs would not put the option there!”

“10gb is not enough!”

:p:D

Soldato
New information on RDNA 2 rayvtracing performance

Not only is watch dogs on Series X using quality settings under PC's but while the game is advertised as 4k it's actually dynamic and drops as low as 1440p to maintain its 30fps with ray tracing on

Associate
Lol this dx12 turned to be a huge feature regression.
Dx12 moved away a large chunk of responsibility from driver to developer code. Over the next decade this shift would expose all posers and till they find new jobs..it's grin and bear

Associate
we could always do tis from now on

Buy a GPU in 2020 (3080 say)
play games from 2016-2018

Buy GPU in (2022)
play games from 2018-2020

would solve most of these issues :D

Except for Dishonored 2, that is flawless logic. Some games are just badly made and never patched.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Lol this dx12 turned to be a huge feature regression.
Dx12 moved away a large chunk of responsibility from driver to developer code. Over the next decade this shift would expose all posers and till they find new jobs..it's grin and bear

Quite so, I was thinking going up a number meant it was progression, new features and overall better 'to the metal'.

Back
Top Bottom