Have I killed my computer?

Associate
So I added another SSD to my machine, but now it wont boot.

I took the GPU and cleaned it with the hoover then reconnected it. I took out the lead that powers the CPU, tidied it up, then put it back. I took out a data/sata lead from a SSD (which snapped on the lead) so replaced it and reattached. I added another data/sata lead and added the new SSD. Went to boot, but just a black screen. The screen is registering, just showing nothing. Could it be trying to boot from the other SSD?

What've I done?

PS - ignore the shocking cable management.
IMG-20201031-WA0022.jpg

Permabanned
I took the GPU and cleaned it with the hoover then reconnected it.

What've I done?

PS - ignore the shocking cable management.
IMG-20201031-WA0022.jpg

I don't see what's cleaned :confused: Only the card, what about the rest of the things? Have you got another photo with all the dust removed? :eek:

Permabanned
The dust always has a negative influence because it worsens the contact between fresh air and the metal cooling surfaces, thus worsening the cooling efficiency by a lot.

Permabanned
I find using an air compressor more convenient because it pushes all the dust out and away rather than pulling it inside like when using a vacuum cleaner.

Soldato
A pc hoover is a thing?

Ive used house hoover in my pc for decades lol.
Same here, been using a hoover and a soft brush on all the inert bits in the case since Noah was a lad. So long as you're gentle on not Edward Scissor-Hands, you'll be fine. Should you feel the need, I think ESpares do a set of micro-nozzles for under £10. You can pick up a soft anti-static brush for few quid.

Soldato
I am more worried about static
Use a brush to dislodge dust but keep the hoover away from the case and mobo at least
Compressor user here too,i take the case outside and give it a good going over at least once a year.Taking care not to spinup the fans

Back
Top Bottom