Which X570 motherboard for Ryzen 5000

Soldato
Not at all, a B550 is fine, just be aware not pcie4 on all nvme slots and some restrictions with disabling of certain other ports (board specific) when using the chipset nvme.
The only caveat is to ensure it is a decent amount cheaper than a similarly featured X570, or else there is little point.
The Msi Tomahawk B550 looks to have the same VRM's as the X570 Tomahawk, and comes in at £50 less so its certainly worthy of consideration.
Agreed, for the vast majority of users a decent B550 makes the most sense. PCIe 4.0 on the primary GPU and one NVME should be enough. Not worth spending ~£50+ for extra PCIe and support for older Zen processors for most people.

Associate
all depends what you need from the mobo.

I need 6 sata ports; wifi and a bios reset button. Pretty much rules out most if not all of the cheap x570 board. looking at the aorus master as it ticks all the boxes.

Look at what you need and go from there.

Associate
all depends what you need from the mobo.

I need 6 sata ports; wifi and a bios reset button. Pretty much rules out most if not all of the cheap x570 board. looking at the aorus master as it ticks all the boxes.

Look at what you need and go from there.

I was in a similar position. The number of usb connections I required pretty much ruled out all of the cheaper boards. Not really sure why they seem to be so lacking on many of these boards but it’s cost me this time.

I ended up just going for the Asus x570 Crosshair Hero although can’t say I’m happy with paying that amount for the board. The gigabyte boards look great and I genuinely wish I could shake my memories of my EP45 Extreme dying on me as Gigabyte were always my go to up to that point and a few of their x570 offerings also ticked the boxes I needed.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
I was under the impression that the MSI X570 Tomahawk was a no brainer for the price, with other options coming into play if you have specific needs above the average, like 3 x Nvme slots. What is driving people to look at other options?

Associate
I'm torn between x570 tomahawk / unify £275

Decided on 16gb cl14 3600 dark group pro though and samsung 980 pro 1tb

I want it to last 7-10 years since got kids now so upgrading less frequently just depends how market + tech goes in future.

Last edited:
Soldato
Same here x570 tomahawk £200 or unify £270 I plan to keep system 3-5 years

The 3rd m.2 slot on unify and maybe price drops in future of drives and having third slot ?

Stu

Stu

Soldato
I'm torn between x570 tomahawk / unify £275

Decided on 16gb cl14 3600 dark group pro though and samsung 980 pro 1tb

I want it to last 7-10 years since got kids now so upgrading less frequently just depends how market + tech goes in future.

Have you considered saving £50 and going with the Sabrent Rocket PCIE4 rather than the Samsung 980?

Associate
If you are considering the x570 unify it might be worth waiting for the B550 unify to see how it is priced and compares.
It does some clever things with the lanes and there is an option for a two DIMM version for better memory overclocking.

Due out this month I believe.

Soldato
Are we at seriously diminishing returns on price versus real life performance? I wonder if gfx direct IO tech will become a factor here?

That's true we just don't know also personally wouldn't buy Samsung think it's over priced when you can get similar performance else where

Back
Top Bottom