Glue-Heatsink gloop options?

Soldato
Just a thought, but my Server NB Chips are getting a tad warm.

I currently have a pair of thin alloy heatsinks that are barely making it any better, but I am also using a pair of 40mm fans too and thats keeping them cooler sure, but not that, much cooler.

I do have a pair of copper heatsinks, that I bought about 2 years ago for thius, but they arew pretty heavy and I have the Motherboard upright not flat an so I need a strong compound that will hold the things down.

I did buy some and it seemed to help, but then after a few days, it started crashing again and I check the heatsinks and they had slid down, so I dont want that to happen again.

So, I need areally good, strong CPU heatsink glue that will be really strong.

Soldato
Just a thought, but my Server NB Chips are getting a tad warm.

I currently have a pair of thin alloy heatsinks that are barely making it any better, but I am also using a pair of 40mm fans too and thats keeping them cooler sure, but not that, much cooler.

I do have a pair of copper heatsinks, that I bought about 2 years ago for thius, but they arew pretty heavy and I have the Motherboard upright not flat an so I need a strong compound that will hold the things down.

I did buy some and it seemed to help, but then after a few days, it started crashing again and I check the heatsinks and they had slid down, so I dont want that to happen again.

So, I need areally good, strong CPU heatsink glue that will be really strong.

Arctic silver thermal adhesive or similar should do the trick. Once it's cured it the heatsinks won't budge.

Man of Honour
The Arctic Silver adhesive works well in my experience - I've used Phobya before as well but it is more expensive and difficult to get good results with and lots of people have complained of not getting the quantity they paid for.

TBH I've been bad and used a mixture of Gorilla Glue (even though with the heat it isn't a great idea) around the edge and AS5 in the middle before in prototype DIY projects and got no different results to usual and no issues so far with the glue losing adhesion though in theory it probably will with enough heat cycles though it is rated to 100C.

Permabanned
You can mix AS5 with the Arctic silver thermal adhesive which will make it better thermally and easier to remove if you really need to (AFAIR even not mixed you can pop it in freezer and it can come apart).

I have done it all ways inc same as above with AS5+Superglue in 4 corners.

Permabanned
I can recommend the arctic silver as well. Sticks well and has good thermal conductivity. Also is not electrically conductive so you don't have to be too careful with it.

Soldato
Strong stuff unless you live in the arctic :D last time i used it was a on a matrox capture card chip that had a small sink and loud fan, replaced with a thermalright HR05 and slow fan. Years later i dropped it and the heatsink came off, with the chip :D

Back
Top Bottom