Nespresso Vs Tassimo Vs Dolce Gusto

Associate
To start with , I was sure a thread like this existed on here already, but I can't find it so guess not...or my search skills aren't up to scratch.

Anyway, I want to get a pod machine but can't decide between systems

So far I've gathered that (and could be wrong)

• Nespresso Original - Mainly for Espresso drinks and a vast amount of 3rd party capsules available.

• Nespresso Virtuo - For Espresso AND other Coffee Drinks , However only available from Nespresso themselves.

• Tassimo - Huge variety of different drinks, all are "endorsed" as compatible because the machines read a barcode.

• Dolce Gusto - Not as many options, mainly coffee as opposed to espresso style.

It's mainly Coffee Drinks i'll be making as opposed to espresso's , So Looks like a Virtuo / Tassimo would be better? And I imagine the benefit with Tassimo is being able to do stuff like hot chocolate too?

Have I got this right? Interested to see what pod-machine's people have got and why you would / wouldn't recommend them.

Soldato
Have you thought of a bean to cup machine instead? Not only do they taste better (fresh beans) they’re better for the environment too - even if you’re recycling the pods.

Soldato
I have an old style Dolce Gusto - any of the milky drinks taste horrible to me...weird taste/aftertaste

almost made me Dolce Gusto myself once :p

Associate
OP
Have you thought of a bean to cup machine instead? Not only do they taste better (fresh beans) they’re better for the environment too - even if you’re recycling the pods.

Space was a consideration , plus initial outlay , If I get a cheaper model of one of the pod machines, and end up not using it much, as long as i'm not buying loads of pods, I don't feel like i'd be "losing" as much as a decent bean-cup machine sitting there , if that makes any sense?

Soldato
I had a Tassimo, so expensive for pods, was approx 50p a drink. And I bought bulk amounts to get deals (took up a lot of space)
I ditched it for a bean to cup machine. Much better all round.
Hot chocolate can be made over ways, don't need a Tassimo.

Soldato
Quite honestly the answer is don't buy a coffee pod machine as they're all expensive and mediocre IMO :D

If you want one cup coffee (and minimal hassle to make it) for just yourself buy a pour over coffee dripper or an Aeropress and them you can buy whatever ground coffee you like. Then if you want to up your game you have the option of buying beans and a grinder in future.

Ground Coffee tastes better, will give you a much better selection and costs a fraction of the coffee pods. Better for the environment as well if you're bothered about that kind of thing.

Soldato
I am a nespresso owner having been with the brand for a good number of years now. I am slowly moving to this chain of thought, but I need a small machine as I haven't the counter space in my new place. Finding one has been a nightmare. The pandemic has seen my local Nespresso boutique closed down so I can no longer take bags of spent pods for recycling. Nespresso can pick the bags up...only with an accompanying delivery of pods so forget that. From an environmental perspective I no longer feel happy using mine really.

I'd honestly go with what folks are saying and get a bean to cup machine. You have to remember that as convenient as they are pod machines only contain a scant amount of very good quality coffee. Whilst they produce a quality espresso they can't really extend theselves further.

Soldato
If you want an Nespresso machine you can have my old Pixie, I replaced it with a bean to cup and never looked back.
Nespresso machines in my opinion are okay, but don't make strong enough drinks I was finding myself using multiple pods to make one drink.

Bean to cup has easily paid for itself by being able to use cheap beans compared to pods.

Associate
I have a nespresso machine that has had the seal go dodgy, I live in Bristol so only "quite" hard water. It got descaled every few months or so but eventually the seal just started leaking every time I made a drink and I'd had enough.

There's loads of folk on the Internet having these machines die eventually and then support is limited to: send it back for £70 and get the money off a new one.

I don't really like to spend that kind of money on something that'll just have to go into the bin one day (mine did last 2 years) so instead I bought an Aeropress (£25ish) brewer and Baratza Encore grinder (£140ish). Both of them are really simple and/or cheap to keep running.

E: I should say this is much more manual, not so convenient and I drink pour over rather than espresso type coffee now so they're totally different experiences

Soldato
I have a Nespresso machine and have for a couple of years as got bought it as a gift. It's been fantastic really. Can't fault it. Mine has the aerochino milk thing on the side. When I replace it I will probably get a proper been to cup jobbie but what do you guys do for the frothed milk? Do they come with a steam wand thing? I'm out of touch with it all. :)

Soldato
I'd you want to return to a more automatic machine my been to cup has the ability to have a filter fitted. I don't use one as our water is fine.

To the above mine has a stream wand never use it though can't stand milk in my coffee. User it for hot water though to top up an espresso for a long drink.

Soldato
My Bosch Tassimo is on it’s 5th year and still going strong.

Ideal if you you like the milky, Costa style coffees.

Yes, the pods are expensive, even when purchased in bulk. And don’t forget that you’ll need a new water filter cartridge every couple of months.

Ours is mainly used for hot water these days as the Costa pods are even more expensive out here and the coffee bags are very good.

Soldato
My Bosch Tassimo is on it’s 5th year and still going strong.

Ideal if you you like the milky, Costa style coffees.

Yes, the pods are expensive, even when purchased in bulk. And don’t forget that you’ll need a new water filter cartridge every couple of months.

Ours is mainly used for hot water these days as the Costa pods are even more expensive out here and the coffee bags are very good.
Only use the filters if you need to. If you're kettle never needs cleaning neither will your coffee machine.

Soldato
depends how much you want to pay, but for £130 today, none of the above

Saw Seattle coffee crew comparison of DuoPro againsgt Delonghi dedica (£129!)
Dedica takes ese coffee pods + regular coffee, has a thermoblock so heats up fast, pre-infusion, temp+shot time control.

... really begs the question of why you would not have this instead of a nespresso, maybe just a few $$ more.

Arguably more attractive than nespresso machines, but might have to buy capsules/20p online

Soldato
I’ve had this baby on my wish list for a while. It’s the same one we use at work and produces great coffee. Size is quite decent too and should fill the gap that’ll eventually be left by my Pixie. Just waiting on Black Friday.

De'Longhi Autentica, Automatic Bean to Cup Coffee Machine, Cappuccino and Espresso Maker, ETAM 29.510.B
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LPG2LLY/

Last edited:
Associate
I have a Creatista Plus. It takes standard capsules and can make milk-based drinks. I use mine with oat milk to make a daily cappuccino. Great investment during these trying times.

Soldato
I moved from a semi commercial coffee machine and grinder to a Nespresso machine, the quality isn't anywhere near as good but with the variety of pods now available it's got a good selection and I put it a distance above the other pod options.

Don't get me wrong, when I have a bigger kitchen I will be getting a replacement and most probably get something like one of the sage bean to cup machines.

Soldato
I've had my Tassimo T65 for 10 years as of this month, I stil really like it. The variety of drinks is good especially if you like lattes etc, and I don't find the cost particularly prohibitive as there are usually deals on somewhere, either in supermarkets, on Amazon or discount codes on the Tassimo online store. It has its limitations and the quality won't be good enough for some but I don't mind it, and it takes a lot of the faff out of making a drink that would otherwise involve milk frothers etc.

The one thing I do want them to do soon is improve how the discs can be recycled, right now they can only be dropped off at Terracycle drop off points and they're few and far between. I imagine a more environmentally-friendly approach will require a complete redesign though.

Back
Top Bottom