MOT Extensionfor lockdown again?

Soldato
Why wouldn't you get an MOT on time anyway? Garages were still open the last time? I got my cars MOT'd at the correct times regardless. Would much rather KNOW my car was as safe as it could be.

Soldato
None of the indicative lists suggest they'll close anything more than showrooms, so I doubt we'll see extensions. Doubly so because some people now would be getting their second extension.

Soldato
second extension.
what was the 2nd one ?,
I thought there was just one, of 6 months for those/us whose MOT was due , after 30mar and before lock-down lifted.

Why wouldn't you get an MOT on time anyway?
no point exposing yourself, so waiting to do it when you had hoped infection rate would shrink, and queues reduced, seemed the best strategy.

Soldato
Well the rules say work from home only if you can, otherwise go to work. So I guess garages will still be working. An MOT is also an essential trip Id say as its a legal requirement and a safety thing.

Soldato
None of the indicative lists suggest they'll close anything more than showrooms, so I doubt we'll see extensions. Doubly so because some people now would be getting their second extension.

Not really. Those that could take advantage of the first extension should have had their cars doen by now. Did that not finish in September? So all these cars should already be done, so a second MOT extension "shouldn't" affect these cars at all.

no point exposing yourself, so waiting to do it when you had hoped infection rate would shrink, and queues reduced, seemed the best strategy.

Hmmm. I suppose busier regions could be busier. That said, I do get my MOT's done in a city rather than the more local MOT places, so I wouldn't expect much difference. My MOT station didn't have queues, had a one way system through the office, drop off and pick up appointments etc. Only person I saw when I got mine done, during lockdown, was the guy in the office taking the keys / payment. I understand people who might be shielding or whatever though. But for the general population, I think many just "took advantage" of kicking their MOT down the road.

Soldato
Not really. Those that could take advantage of the first extension should have had their cars doen by now. Did that not finish in September? So all these cars should already be done, so a second MOT extension "shouldn't" affect these cars at all.

No, the extension simply shifted their renewal backwards by 6 months. So if they were originally due in May, it's now due in November. If you then went back and said 'any due in November are being extended', those would be getting extended again. The deferred MOTs won't all be done until Feb/March, given they were being extended up until August IIRC.

Soldato
So it was a full 6 month extension per car, rather than just an extension of 6 months to September or whatever it was?

I just did mine when it was meant to be due because I like to keep things in check, and done when they are "supposed" to be done. Sure, many people do actually look after their cars, but there are a LOT of nasty POS on the road, run on a shoestring, that need their yearly checkup to be safe. My Clio wasn't exactly poorly looked after, but none the less, I like the piece of mind that it had it's MOT done within 12 months of the last one. My Focus, on the other hand, might not have been so worried given it's only just turned 5, not 13.

Soldato
So it was a full 6 month extension per car, rather than just an extension of 6 months to September or whatever it was?
Yes, if your car was due during the deferrals period, 7 days before the expiry of your MOT it registered a 'pass' with a new expiry date in 6 months time, with an advisory of

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
COVID-19 6 MONTH EXTENSION

Associate
My car spent most of the 6-month extension in Belgium. I went there for the weekend and then ended up staying for 6 months. My car was due in early April and I made full use of the extension.

Really comes down to upkeep though, I knew the brakes and most important stuff was safe.

Once I did get it finally MOT'd last month it most fairly on silly things and perished rubbers.

Man of Honour
Yes, if your car was due during the deferrals period, 7 days before the expiry of your MOT it registered a 'pass' with a new expiry date in 6 months time, with an advisory of

Mine didn't? There is no such entry on my MOT history, all that happened is the expiration date of my 2019 MOT was extended by 6 months.

Back
Top Bottom