Seating space?
Cool factor?
Timeless inside/out?
Driving enjoyment?
Everyday usability?

There's only one answer...

mhUK7yI.png

Soldato
I loved my E85 Z4 3.0i, the only time the roof wasn't down was when it was raining, was pretty cool to see people turn to check it out as I drove by, Even had people come over and chat to me about it, I'd love another convertible, If I wasn't like same dimensions as the Michelin man.

Soldato
If we exclude the expensive supercars / classic masterpieces, and go for the everyday... is there actually a convertible that wouldn't leave you with even the slightest embarrassment when you get out?

I can't see my myself in anything really - either too small, or feminine, or ugly, or fat... nothing gangster, just mediocre "meh".

I mean the only one that isn't any of the above is the performance mustang but still... I wouldn't like one unless I was in california, but I'd probably get a vette.
Depends on how old you are I guess.

Now I'm in my 40s I largely don't give a damn about people judging me on silly things like how feminine they think my car is.

Buy an old MX5, drive it like you stole it and get out with a grin on your face and your middle finger up at anyone who looks down on you!

Soldato
I'd have one, not paying for the privilege though.

I dont understand how fiat sold any of their version, its horribly American to me.

Associate
The real issue is that true performance cars are never convertibles. The convertible version of any supercar is always overshadowed by the coupe version.

The true convertible is a wafty, comfortable car, for posers who want to enjoy the south of France weather. (Rolls Royce Corniche, etc.)

An open top sports car is perhaps different, for example the Catherham 7, Aerial Atom, etc which have been designed from the ground up not to have a roof and to go round a track full pelt.

The trend for an opening hardtop shows the problem of a modern convertible. They are compromised by having to be soft and comfortable for daily driving, therefore they can't in any way be cool.

A 911 convertible? Park it next to the coupe version and ask people what they would truly want and the answer is clear: chop the roof off any car and prepare to be mocked...

IMHO by the way ;)

Caporegime
The real issue is that true performance cars are never convertibles. The convertible version of any supercar is always overshadowed by the coupe version.

The true convertible is a wafty, comfortable car, for posers who want to enjoy the south of France weather. (Rolls Royce Corniche, etc.)

An open top sports car is perhaps different, for example the Catherham 7, Aerial Atom, etc which have been designed from the ground up not to have a roof and to go round a track full pelt.

The trend for an opening hardtop shows the problem of a modern convertible. They are compromised by having to be soft and comfortable for daily driving, therefore they can't in any way be cool.

A 911 convertible? Park it next to the coupe version and ask people what they would truly want and the answer is clear: chop the roof off any car and prepare to be mocked...

IMHO by the way ;)
Whilst this is all true, in the real world we aren't driving at 10 tenths, looking to eek the absolute performance out of every bend. With that in mind, a convertible offers a much better driving experience, I'd never go back to not owning one, even if it was just a weekend car.

Alternatives I considered were the Maserati GranCabrio, and, if I hadn't decided on needing rear seats, an R8 Spyder.

Soldato
I'm a proper beta male obviously and have little care about opinions.. convertibles for me are epic fun.

Other half had a daihatsu copen that I used to drive all the time and it was fun.

Bought a MK1 mx5 after that and had a lot of fun..

Now got an s2000 and top down that thing is epic too.

But then again you can either live your life and do what you like or care about peoples opinions like:

Showing off
Poor trying to be rich
Gay
Hairdresser
Feminine etc

When most stop at an s-line diesel Audi or an m-sport 1 series in white thinking they're the alpha males.. :D

Soldato
Whilst this is all true, in the real world we aren't driving at 10 tenths, looking to eek the absolute performance out of every bend. With that in mind, a convertible offers a much better driving experience, I'd never go back to not owning one, even if it was just a weekend car.

Alternatives I considered were the Maserati GranCabrio, and, if I hadn't decided on needing rear seats, an R8 Spyder.

Absolutely this. @gailjon I would argue that on the road there is virtually no difference between the performance of a modern hardtop and convertible. The driving experience is vastly superior in a convertible IMO. The levels of grip and performance even in my “old” 997 convertible are excellent and it’s limits far exceed what’s legal and sensible on the road. A convertible also allows much greater connection between the engine and road noise and the driver. Sure, if we were racing or doing a hill climb event then it might be better to have the hardtop. What would people prefer when a 911 convertible and coupe are parked compared to what they prefer when they’re actually driving along would be very interesting. I suspect most would prefer the experience of the roof down when driving.

@grudas - the induction noise through a tunnel with the roof down in a S2000 with no air box lid on is one of life’s great experiences.

Back
Top Bottom