LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Soldato
Only if the game supports RTX & DLSS:p other wise it will just be another 4k game.

Little else does 120Hz at 4K with G-Sync, outside of the 27GN950 (which at 27" IPS is going to be somewhat of a step down in terms of a gaming experience), and the 43" VA options, which certainly have their issues. The 48CX represents amazing value for gaming really.

Associate

put it another way DLSS improves performance though from RTX in game titles that support it, that's the only reason RTX is worth it. Otherwise you're better off with a 1080 Ti, at 4k if u can find one, but DLSS lowers texture resolution, then upscales it in order to solve some of the performance drops with DXR

Last edited:

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Distill - it's a great little Chrome extension for monitoring these kinds of things.
1. Install Distill
2. Open the website page with Out of Stock marking,
3. Select the 'out of stock' area,
4. Click 'check every 15 mins' or less if you'd prefer.
5. Save
It will open a webpage in the background while you're working away and will send you a chime or an email notification when the text changes. Great little app to let you know something has come back in stock!

Today's Hero, thanks

Associate
I've had two attempts at an Odyssey G9. I'll admit, I absolutely love that monitor, but both attempts have had issues ranging from bezel blead and dead pixels to scan line issues and bad flickering. Although I love the G9, given how many of them are having issues, I'm getting cold feet about going for a further attempt to get a good one. So, I'm now considering either trying a CX OLED or a 38" LG ultrawide, but before I make a decision, I have a number of questions in priority order regarding the CX:
  • Has anyone tried it as a full time PC monitor (without any other monitor) for work (~10h per day) and play and noticed any signs of permanent image retention? Is going for a CX with this use case a bad idea? Or are the suggestions that I've noticed people making for monitor use good enough? Things like:
    • setting it at 45% brightness to help reduce the risk of burn in. At 45% is that really dark or still reasonably bright?
    • setting the contrast lower (60), again to lower the risk of burn in
  • What is text sharpness like when the HDMI is set to PC mode? Is it perfectly clear? Or if not, at least as good as a 1440p monitor?
  • I have an RTX2080, so realise that I won't be able to do 4k@120Hz with VRR since it doesn't have HDMI 2.1, but will an RTX2080 be able to do 1440p@120Hz with VRR over HDMI?
This may sound a stupid idea (feel free to chip in if you think it is), but I realise that a 48" is probably the better size to go for, but I'm considering a 55" with this logic - my desk is 800mm deep, if I hang the screen on the wall then I'd be sitting 90-100cm away from it for desktop use, which although isn't ideal, is hopefully far enough away to be manageable. For games, I have a sofa directly behind my desk chair, so if playing games, I could always sit on the sofa, either that or I could play in window'd mode for games that support that. So why 55" you may be asking? It is purely to do with this backout plan - if, for some reason I don't get on with the OLED as a monitor, then I could put it in the lounge as the family TV (my current TV down stairs is a really old 40" Sony Bravia 40W4000 that is still going strong, but a larger TV wouldn't go amiss). That said, primarily my hope is that I will like it as a monitor, so if I go for a 55", it would be really sad if my only gripe was that I'd wished that I'd gone for a 48".

Soldato
put it another way DLSS improves performance though from RTX in game titles that support it, that's the only reason RTX is worth it. Otherwise you're better off with a 1080 Ti, if u can find one but DLSS lowers texture resolution, then upscales it in order to solve some of the performance drops with DXR

The RTX card's feature HDMI 2.1 though so you get 4k 10bit HDR with G-Sync support:p

Soldato
put it another way DLSS improves performance though from RTX in game titles that support it, that's the only reason RTX is worth it. Otherwise you're better off with a 1080 Ti, at 4k if u can find one, but DLSS lowers texture resolution, then upscales it in order to solve some of the performance drops with DXR

RTX is the last feature I'd be looking to enjoy, I haven't even enabled it in any games since I got my 3080.

4k@120 with Gsync & HDR/OLED is where it's at.

Associate
The RTX card's feature HDMI 2.1 though so you get 4k 10bit HDR with G-Sync support:p

it's doesn't matter if the TV and GPU supports 2.1 10bit HDR, if the game titles don't support RTX & DLSS you just get a 4k game in HDR 8/10 bit only that's the only reason RTX is worth in games and you won't do a consistent 120hz in all games titles just like me, my GPU supports 10bit 120hz 4k HDR in just a 1080 TI the only thing I don't have is RTX & DLSS plus 2.1 not a big deal for now.

I will upgrade then 4090 come out by then RTX & DLSS game titles will be worth it:)

Last edited:
Associate
I've had two attempts at an Odyssey G9. I'll admit, I absolutely love that monitor, but both attempts have had issues ranging from bezel blead and dead pixels to scan line issues and bad flickering. Although I love the G9, given how many of them are having issues, I'm getting cold feet about going for a further attempt to get a good one. So, I'm now considering either trying a CX OLED or a 38" LG ultrawide, but before I make a decision, I have a number of questions in priority order regarding the CX:
  • Has anyone tried it as a full time PC monitor (without any other monitor) for work (~10h per day) and play and noticed any signs of permanent image retention? Is going for a CX with this use case a bad idea? Or are the suggestions that I've noticed people making for monitor use good enough? Things like:
    • setting it at 45% brightness to help reduce the risk of burn in. At 45% is that really dark or still reasonably bright?
    • setting the contrast lower (60), again to lower the risk of burn in
  • What is text sharpness like when the HDMI is set to PC mode? Is it perfectly clear? Or if not, at least as good as a 1440p monitor?
  • I have an RTX2080, so realise that I won't be able to do 4k@120Hz with VRR since it doesn't have HDMI 2.1, but will an RTX2080 be able to do 1440p@120Hz with VRR over HDMI?
This may sound a stupid idea (feel free to chip in if you think it is), but I realise that a 48" is probably the better size to go for, but I'm considering a 55" with this logic - my desk is 800mm deep, if I hang the screen on the wall then I'd be sitting 90-100cm away from it for desktop use, which although isn't ideal, is hopefully far enough away to be manageable. For games, I have a sofa directly behind my desk chair, so if playing games, I could always sit on the sofa, either that or I could play in window'd mode for games that support that. So why 55" you may be asking? It is purely to do with this backout plan - if, for some reason I don't get on with the OLED as a monitor, then I could put it in the lounge as the family TV (my current TV down stairs is a really old 40" Sony Bravia 40W4000 that is still going strong, but a larger TV wouldn't go amiss). That said, primarily my hope is that I will like it as a monitor, so if I go for a 55", it would be really sad if my only gripe was that I'd wished that I'd gone for a 48".

I use my CX 55inch 14 hours day and I mix the content from movie streaming - games- web when I play games the TV is in - PC mode, when I read online I change it to Expert Dark room mode the text is sharper then I watch Amazon/Netflix the computer is not on the TV sets the mode it self I like to change my modes on the TV but that is just me there a few good new features in the CX if you are worried about burn in plus you won't do a consistent 120hz in all games titles on your GPU just like me.

Bigger is always better than small in TV size if you have the space:D

By LG
OLED Image Retention or Burn-In: Burn-in and image retention are possible on virtually any display. However, with an LG OLED TV, any risk of burn-in or image retention have been addressed through the use of technology that not only helps protect against damage to the screen, but features self-healing properties so that any short-term image retention that may occur is quickly rectified. It is rare for an average TV consumer to create an environment that could result in burn-in. Most cases of burn-in in televisions is a result of static images or on-screen elements displaying on the screen uninterrupted for many hours or days at a time – with brightness typically at peak levels. So, it is possible to create image retention in almost any display if one really tries hard enough. And even if image retention does occur from extreme usage, it can usually be mitigated within a short period of time by turning the display off for a while, and watching a few hours of varying content (such as your standard TV watching and channel-surfing)

Additionally, LG OLED TVs come with special features and settings to preserve image quality and prevent burn in and image retention. First, there is a Screen Saver feature that will turn on automatically if the TV detects that a static image is displayed on screen after approximately two minutes. There are also three options (available in Menu setting > Picture settings > OLED panel settings) that can be used to preserve image quality. The first of these is the Clear Panel Noise feature that preserves the quality of the image on the display panel by resetting the TV so that it clears the pixels. This feature can be turned on when needed within the settings mentioned above. The second feature that can be employed is the Screen Shift feature which, moves the screen slightly at regular intervals to preserve image quality. A third option is the Logo Luminance Adjustment, which can detect static logos on the screen and reduce brightness to help decrease permanent image retention.

So, in short: Reasonable, responsible usage of an OLED TV, combined with powerful image preservation abilities should result in a seamless home entertainment experience.

Last edited:
Associate
Bigger is always better than small in TV if you have the space:D

This isn't completely accurate,in my perspective.
I'd prefer to sit next to my 27" 1440p screen 8-10hrs a day (for work), rather than the 48" OLED I have.
There's a comfort spot, but 48" is too large for work IMO. Don't get me wrong, it's immense for everything else.

ps. I sit around 2m away from the TV most of the time.

I run in 1440p/120 using my 2080Ti, since I don't like the look of chroma subsampling at 4k. (I'm waiting for the 3080s to come back into stock, to get the full potential).
At 1440p, it's got excellent sharpness and clarity, just as good as my 1440p or even better perhaps.

Will it do 1440p@120hz with VRR? Yes, certainly can with the gsync module and that's what I use. You'll not regret buying it for gaming and you'll likely not be able to go back to any other screen!

For the size, that's subjective - I was in the same boat as you. I wanted the largest screen for my room, but ended up going for the smaller one because of how well it fits into my room. If I went bigger, it would have been too big for using it as a PC monitor for me. I don't want to have to turn my head to read notifications etc, even though its more immersive. For gaming though, I can get closer to gain that immersion - it'll be especially good once we're at 4k.

Good luck deciding, it's not an easy choice!

Associate
How are you getting 10bit 120hz with HDMI 2.0b with a 1080Ti connected to your CX ?

I am running it at 10bit on a HDMI to my CX 55 in Nvidia control panel I can set it to 100/120hz but I won't do a consistent 120hz in all games titles nor will you. HDMI 2.0 (effectively HDMI 2.0b since late 2016) can do 4K 120Hz it will also depend on the quality of the HDMI cable you’re using.

Next you might make another argument-RTX is new! We’ve had ray tracing in films for years. The first film to use ray tracing was Compleat Angler (1979) and Nvidia only put RTX in 2080 GPUs in 2019 and HDMI 2.1 is not new again it was officially announced by the HDMI Forum on January 4, 2017, and was released on November 28, 2017. It adds support for higher resolutions and higher refresh rates

Just enjoy your 3090:D

Last edited:
Soldato
I am running it at 10bit on a HDMI to my CX 55 in Nvidia control panel I can set it to 120hz but I won't do a consistent 120hz in all games titles nor will you

Can you take a screen shot of your Nvidia control panel ? i was only able to get 4k 120hz 8bit 4:2:0 with my 2080 via HDMI 2.0b.

Soldato
This isn't completely accurate,in my perspective.
I'd prefer to sit next to my 27" 1440p screen 8-10hrs a day (for work), rather than the 48" OLED I have.
There's a comfort spot, but 48" is too large for work IMO. Don't get me wrong, it's immense for everything else.
I have a slightly different opinion after moving from a 27” 1440p screen, I just part of the screen when working and leave a large section at the top and a bit at the bottom completely empty to make it far more manageable. I could personally never go back.

Associate
Can you take a screen shot of your Nvidia control panel ? i was only able to get 4k 120hz 8bit 4:2:0 with my 2080 via HDMI 2.0b.

Don't tell me you rushed out and only got a 3090 GPU because it have a 2.1 cable thinking it can 120hz over your RTX 2080, 8GB GPU:D in all title games? do the matts don't believe Hype:p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom