*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Soldato
No we used a pizza stone, one like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ProCook-Pi...ocphy=9041121&hvtargid=pla-361341669063&psc=1

Preheated the BBQ as hot as it would go, my wife made the dough so not sure of the recipe, it was really wet so we rolled it out on baking paper, put the topping on then chucked it on the BBQ. Took the paper out about half way through as it starts to burn, by that point the dough is dry and won't stick to the pizza stone, finished them off with another few minutes and they were really good.

Brilliant, have made pizzas before using some pizza base mix, but always done them in the oven, thanks very much.

Soldato
If you want the dough recipe I'll ask the boss. Getting the dough as thin as possible made a big difference in getting them like you would at a restaurant.

Well if you don't mind, no rush though as I have a few packets of pizza mix to use still and I don't make them all time, I will have to get one of them pizza stones as well before I try it on the BBQ.

taB

taB

Associate
Has anyone got or used the Weber wok over charcoal? It looks like it could be amazing but wouldn't want to shell out for it if it doesn't work well. Thanks.

Associate
4dSIF7E.jpg Dr4scJZ.jpg
Chicken smoked at 250f for around 4.5 hours and finished off in the oven at 500f to crisp up the skin.
It was the best whole chicken I've ever tasted. I couldn't believe how juicy the meat was. Ill definitely be cooking all my chickens in the smoker from now on.

Soldato
Has anyone got or used the Weber wok over charcoal? It looks like it could be amazing but wouldn't want to shell out for it if it doesn't work well. Thanks.

I may have used this at a Weber day but over gas. If so, handy so you dont need to keep popping back to the kitchen but not sure its worth the money - its a wok at the end of the day.

Soldato
I haven't had much of a chance to get the BBQ fired up recently so thought some wings were in order last night. I've been working my way through the Wingmans chicken book and decided to try one of the few remaining recipes I haven't made yet.. Maple glazed wings with candied pecans and bacon! :D

nJUcFK0h.jpg

Associate
With lockdown this year I finally bought my first charcoal BBQ - the Weber mastertouch. So far I've cooked beer can chicken, spare ribs, brisket and pork shoulder amongst the generic burgers and sausages.

My local garden centre put a post up yesterday morning mentioning it had 50% off all Weber equipment... 45 mins later I was the owner of their last remaining 57cm Smokey mountain.. completely unplanned but I was tempted at £225 especially with the fear of missing out. I'm not sure if I've done the right thing.. especially whilst writing this and looking at it in the corner of my room as it's just been built but it is a huge beast but hopefully with a few smokes I'll be in love with it :rolleyes:

Does anyone know if it can do normal sized cooks on this size? E.g. a single pork shoulder?

PXL-20201101-223417349-MP.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
You can do lots of different things on the Weber Smokey Mountain. I purchased one earlier in the year :) If you search for my posts, you will see a few photos of what can be produced relatively easily. Pulled pork and Ribs are so easy to do and very forgiving allowing you to learn as you go :)

Once you get it on the go, you will want it all the time :)

Associate
Today was the first use of the WSM, I wanted to start off with something cheap, so got a tesco brisket which was rolled, didn't really know what to do as it unrolled into 2 parts, so just placed them on top of each other. The 0.7kg brisket did look quite small in the 57cm WSM, probably spent as much on the charcoal as the meat itself :rolleyes:

It took nearly 7 hours which I was surprised with, thought it would have been quicker, but was definitely a good learning experience trying to get confident with the air vent controls. The smaller scale on the WSM temperature controls makes me panic more when the temperature changes by a few degrees as it seems like a massive jump on the scale. Meat could have been more tender but I was getting hungry, definitely needs a 2nd attempt some day soon

Soldato
Today was the first use of the WSM, I wanted to start off with something cheap, so got a tesco brisket which was rolled, didn't really know what to do as it unrolled into 2 parts, so just placed them on top of each other. The 0.7kg brisket did look quite small in the 57cm WSM, probably spent as much on the charcoal as the meat itself :rolleyes:

It took nearly 7 hours which I was surprised with, thought it would have been quicker, but was definitely a good learning experience trying to get confident with the air vent controls. The smaller scale on the WSM temperature controls makes me panic more when the temperature changes by a few degrees as it seems like a massive jump on the scale. Meat could have been more tender but I was getting hungry, definitely needs a 2nd attempt some day soon

Looks like a good first attempt.

Practice makes perfect, so I'm sure you will be able to adapt a little more going forward.

I've popped out today and got a pork shoulder to hopefully do tomorrow or Friday. Any leftovers I will freeze (if not that whole lot) for the winter ahead :) I also plan to try and re-heat from frozen in a vacuum bag - again just experimenting :)

Soldato
With lockdown this year I finally bought my first charcoal BBQ - the Weber mastertouch. So far I've cooked beer can chicken, spare ribs, brisket and pork shoulder amongst the generic burgers and sausages.

My local garden centre put a post up yesterday morning mentioning it had 50% off all Weber equipment... 45 mins later I was the owner of their last remaining 57cm Smokey mountain.. completely unplanned but I was tempted at £225 especially with the fear of missing out. I'm not sure if I've done the right thing.. especially whilst writing this and looking at it in the corner of my room as it's just been built but it is a huge beast but hopefully with a few smokes I'll be in love with it :rolleyes:

Does anyone know if it can do normal sized cooks on this size? E.g. a single pork shoulder?

You made the same progression I did! The 57 is a great size, you won't be disappointed with it. You don't have to use the extra space, but if you ever need it it's there. It'll just use a bit more fuel than the smaller ones. One of the best upgrades I did to mine was to replace the standard firebasket with the ProSmoke one. It's more compact and the charcoal grate has narrower gaps so less slips through which makes it much more economical to run and also a lot easier to clean out. The lid hinge is a really handy upgrade as well! (You did save 50% on the price after all.. :p)

Looks good for a first go as well. Brisket is a tricky one sometimes and a larger piece can be a lot more forgiving. Did you use water in the pan? I stopped using water and just foil the pan a lot of the time now. It saves on fuel and also makes clean up a lot easier. One of the lessons I've learnt is that cooks always take longer than you think they will!

Associate
Bloody hell! That looks incredible.

Would you mind sharing the "KFC" recipe please @Antineo69? I used this recipe on the weekend but I didn't think the flavour was amazing, and the coating was very thin.

drums or wings
  • 2 tbs flour
  • 2 tbs baking powder
  • cooking oil
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 3 tsp pepper
  • 1.5-2 tsp garlic powder

METHOD:
Step #1
add into a zip bag your flour and baking powder. Next add in your own dry rub or the salt, pepper and garlic. Give the bag a good mix and then add in the Chicken. With the chicken in the bag give it a good mix to get the mixture starting to stick to the chicken. oil in last this will help the remaining mixture stick to the outside of the chieken.
The rub i used was Angus & Oink porky white chick and Sweet Bones & Butts.
Step #2
cooked indirect & smoking wood for about 40min to a 1 hour flipping every 20 minutes

Once the wings are fully cooked (beyond 75c) and crispy, golden

Associate
Homemade nachos with pico de rado and grilled pineapple salsa
1f34d.png

• Corn on the cob with mango chilli butter
    1f33d.png
  • Pork and short beef ribs
    1f356.png
  • Sticky BBQ sesame chicken wings
    1f357.png
Ribs apply with Sweet bones and butt's mixed with pigasus on one rack. Irn bbq on the other and beef short ribs apply with SPG.

47TYwF3h.jpg PsaTndHh.jpg Cfbk0skh.jpg k433MaAh.jpg

Back
Top Bottom