What watch do you wear?

Soldato
In what watch? Those are for the future models which have not been shown or announced yet shy of the teasers of the prototypes in the video. We don't know the reason behind those new watches yet either so for all you know it isn't just a watch sat on the bonnet of car x for no reason. Likewise the previous watches all had specific stories/reasons for their design and inspiration. What I gather from what you are saying is that a watch has to have a historical connection to something to be inspired by it, as opposed to the maker just liking land speed records or boats or planes and as such wants to create a watch as a nod to that liking.

Just a correction though, I bought into the brand because I liked the watch first, as that's what I saw when someone linked me to the Morar last year and I wanted it. It was only after I'd looked into them that I saw the adventure events, charity drives etc in their journal. They do their part to support British things, I do my part to support British businesses :cool:
I'm not getting drawn into an argument, I am just fed up of seeing them same thing recycled by British watch companies - old planes, cars, spirit of adventure, historical events from British history etc. It's a yawn-fest for me.
They make nice looking watches though.

Associate
That is everything I want in a watch. Can you tell me where you got it from and roughly how much it cost?

I got it from a pawn shop in Japan who sell via online auctions for around £400. It didn't arrive like this, it was all dirty and looked a bit sorry for itself. This was the image in a advert. As you can see it was a bit of a gamble on my part.

kM0TI58.jpg

It needed a NOS plexi glass (£190) and a service (£120). Buying one here in Europe would probably set you back between £900 to £1500.

The watch is actually a late version of the Universal Geneve Polerouter Super. This particular ref is quite hard to come by but there are other versions available on Chrono24.

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/search/i...e&searchexplain=1&watchTypes=&accessoryTypes=

As with all vintage watches, you need to do your research on a watch before you buy one. There are a LOT of bad ones out there. A good place to start for the Polerouter is this website: https://universalgenevepolerouter.com/.

Soldato
I got it from a pawn shop in Japan who sell via online auctions for around £400. It didn't arrive like this, it was all dirty and looked a bit sorry for itself. This was the image in a advert. As you can see it was a bit of a gamble on my part.

kM0TI58.jpg

It needed a NOS plexi glass (£190) and a service (£120). Buying one here in Europe would probably set you back between £900 to £1500.

The watch is actually a late version of the Universal Geneve Polerouter Super. This particular ref is quite hard to come by but there are other versions available on Chrono24.

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/search/i...e&searchexplain=1&watchTypes=&accessoryTypes=

As with all vintage watches, you need to do your research on a watch before you buy one. There are a LOT of bad ones out there. A good place to start for the Polerouter is this website: https://universalgenevepolerouter.com/.

Thanks a lot I really appreciate it, going by that website I'm guessing this is your one:
https://i1.wp.com/universalgenevepolerouter.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/869119-.jpg?ssl=1

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I'm not getting drawn into an argument, I am just fed up of seeing them same thing recycled by British watch companies - old planes, cars, spirit of adventure, historical events from British history etc. It's a yawn-fest for me.
They make nice looking watches though.

I can see where you are coming from and indeed there are companies blatantly doing that with no obviously visual cue to the things they are marketing the watches on in ads/videos etc. take Farer for example, really nice watches otherwise but the watches themselves seem to bear no visual aesthetic to the vehicles they are almost always marketed alongside, not even on the dial, caseback or hand styles. At least some are taking design cues from these things, colourways, hand shapes, specific details etc. Because it's done a lot though, it's also easy to tarnish every name with the same brush which I understand.

From my own perspective I tend to not even pay attention to those marketing things before buying a watch. I either like the look of the watch or I don't. If I do and it seems reasonably priced then I'll look into it in more details. Otherwise doesn't matter what the marketing is like, it won't even get a 2nd glance for me like most Rolex/Tudor/Omega nowadays.

All I know about what I want now is a watch with that new Oris movement, and a watch that's close to home... Hence the Solent :D

I'm too fussy about Grand Seiko, has to be a no date spring drive one with a specific dial style. And the ones I like are limited editions so that's pretty much GS out for me unless I get lucky one day in the future.

Associate
20201102-121406.jpg

Associate
Tried a Town talk gold polishing cloth and it had very little effect, watching vids on Youtube showing how to use scotchbrite pads.
Just thought there may be a kit out there with different grades etc

Cheers
Dave :)

Associate
Found my Seiko Arctura from 1997 (it was at my parents house), I don't think I have worn this since 2000!

I thought it was knackered but after 24 hours its (kinetic) sparked into life and ticking along again. :)

It's amazing how much bigger watches are these days (even dress watches) this is the size of a Swatch (for those who remember). :p

Back
Top Bottom