Finally decided on the 5800X over the 5600X and need advice...

Associate
Bit of background, I was struggling to choose between the two despite being primarily used for gaming I figured it was worth opting for the 5800X since it's only £100+ more and a CPU is something I'll keep for years to come.

I now need to pick a motherboard and cooler. Currently using MSI and very happy with it (Z170a Tomahawk) so I've been eying up this:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-mag-b550-tomahawk-amd-am4-b550-atx-motherboard-mb-359-ms.html

Obviously BIOS update aside what does everyone think? I'm open to other brands as long as they are decent, price is more an issue than brand loyalty if anything.

Edit: I am a big fan of the MSI BIOS interface and things like Game Boost etc so that would be a good reason for me to stick with them unless other manufacturers do similar things.

Also on the cooler side of things I'm deciding to make the move to water cooling and this seems to crop up in many posts:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...uid-cooler-240mm-cw-9060039-ww-hs-03r-cs.html

I assume it's pretty good?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Msi tomahawk is one of the best value motherboards and a good choice. The x570 tomahawk wifi is popular also if you need the extra features and Wi-Fi.
Thanks Micky, my current Tomahawk can't be faulted, if I could keep it when I swap to a 5800x I would! I was debating a Wi-Fi MB but I have powerline adapters so unless I could get one for the same price I don't think it will be worth doing.

Soldato
If you don't need wifi or plan on running more than one gen 4.0 nvme then the B550 tomahawk is a solid option.

The artic freezer II is a better cooler than the h100i, runs quieter and quite a bit cheaper but doesn't have RGB if that's your thing. Either would be fine for a 5800X though.

Soldato
Thanks Micky, my current Tomahawk can't be faulted, if I could keep it when I swap to a 5800x I would! I was debating a Wi-Fi MB but I have powerline adapters so unless I could get one for the same price I don't think it will be worth doing.

The B550 Gaming Edge Wifi is currently the same price as the B550 Tomahawk. Out of stock at the minute, but you can probably find it elsewhere.

Man of Honour
Coolers read some reviews to confirm your choice but some of the top air coolers match and are very quiet as long as you've got the room.

Nochtua nh-d15 chromax or dark rock pro 4

Soldato
What

What are the main differences to look out for? I do have 3200mhz RAM but I imagine most MBs these days support that.

The only difference is you get Wifi 6 on the Gaming Edge, and the Tomahawk has an extra 2.5G LAN port instead. Pretty sure everything else is the same.

As for Ram support yes you will be fine with the 3200MHz kit. Shouldn't be an issue on any board.

Associate
OP
The only difference is you get Wifi 6 on the Gaming Edge, and the Tomahawk has an extra 2.5G LAN port instead. Pretty sure everything else is the same.

As for Ram support yes you will be fine with the 3200MHz kit. Shouldn't be an issue on any board.
Great thank you for answering! Really not too sure now tbh! I'll have a think.

Back
Top Bottom