The OCUK Whisky (and Whiskey) review thread

Associate
someone gave me some cheap whiskey from tesco, scots club which I think is own brand with a different name now ha ha

its actually alright if you mix it with coke...

I bought the Ledaig 10 though based on the recommendation above - i havent opened it yet :)

Soldato
expanding my whisky collection and have the following on the way.

Caol Ila 12
Clynelish 14
Highland Park 12
Glenkinche 12
Glenfiddich 15
Tomintoul 16

tried to get at least on example from each region, Ilay, Speyside, Highland, Lowland, Island. Doubled up on speyside because I know i like that style so at least I know I will have 2 that I will finish. They are only 20cl or half bottles, so worst case scenario I offload the ones I don't like to my mate who is also a whisky nut.

Over the last few years I have mainly only had redbreast 12 / 15, Glenlivet 12 (tried the founder edition and it wasn't good, like it needed a few more years in the cask), JW Green label and double black, Greenspot. Tried to move on to more peaty islay types, but I made the mistake of going straight for Laphroaig and it put me off islay, but going to try another one which is why i got a half bottle of Caol Ila 12. I seem to remember liking Lagavulin as I know at Uni (a long time ago) me and a few mates used to have whisky and cigar nights and the whisky was always a lagavulin 16, but can't remember if that was another mental islay TCP in your face style while licking burning tyres and washing it down with roofing bitumen whisky like Laphroaig.
That's a nice collection. Very nice in fact. Lagavulin 16 is quite peaty, Smokey ash tones rather than TCP astringent flavours like Laphroaig. I can see it going well alongside cigars, though I don't smoke so that is speculation on my part.

Soldato
That's a nice collection. Very nice in fact. Lagavulin 16 is quite peaty, Smokey ash tones rather than TCP astringent flavours like Laphroaig. I can see it going well alongside cigars, though I don't smoke so that is speculation on my part.

I sampled each of them and thus far I order them as follows:

1. Tomintoul 16 - quite soft on the pallate with a subtle nutty taste, reminds me a bit of Glenlivet 12 in its nose and taste.

2. Caol Ila 12 - smoky aroma, but not over powering, the initial hit on the nose for me reminds me when I BBQ in the summer and use hickory wood to impart nice flavours into the meat. You get what I would call a peppery hit on the tongue, but a nice one, a bit like when you have cracked peppercorns on a steak. I am by no means a whisky connoisseur, but I think this would be a great introduction for someone looking to try out and get into Islay Whisky. Compared to laphroaig this is worlds appart and actually a very pleasant dram.

3. Highland Park 12 - to me it seemed to be the sweetest of the 6 I bought (not sure if you can use the word sweet to describe a whisky ???) it was a pleasant drink, no burn, no massive in your face wood or smoke hit, but none the less i found it really quite well balanced if not a bit light compared to the others

4. Glenkinchie 12 - I would classify this as a summer type of whisky, was really light on both the nose and on the palate. The falvours were really sublte, but I could see me sitting in the garden in the summer months with a good book and a bottle of this stuff quite easily.

5. Clynelish 14 - Jury still out for me on this one. I find it had quite a subtle smokiness to it, but really struggled to get anything else from it. For a 14 year old it just seemed to lack depth and structure, the after taste was also some what bitter if not a bit leathery, in fact I would say you could probably compare it in a sense to licking an aged leather jacket (not that I have done this, but based on aroma I would say this is what a leather jacket that was about 15 years old would taste like)

6. Glenfiddich 15 - didn't get on with this at all.It's got a pre/during/after burn that I really couldn't get on with. In fact i would say it was a struggle for me to even finish of a small dram. I actually came back to this one as I thought I hadn't given it a fair run, but it was actually worse 2nd time around. I think it might be the bourbon case it has spent time in that imparts the kind of palate I am not keen on. I'll be honest and say bourbon is a full no go zone for me as it just burns and you don't get any nice flavours or aromas from it, it's like snorting battery acid fumes in my opinion.

Soldato
just added 1 more to the collection

Redbreast Lustau - looking forward to tasting this one later in the week. Redbreast 12 is my staple go to, so the idea of redbreast that has then been chucked into a Bodegas Lustau sherry cask sounds very appealing. Even more so as I visted the Lustau estate quite a few times when I used to get packed off to Spain to my grandparents / uncles in the summer holidays.

Soldato
@wildman pour some of the glenfiddich 15yo into an old milk bottle etc then leave it out for an hour uncorked/unstoppered. After that try it and see what you think. The 15yo is very heavy on young american oak so quite sharp compared to some but it isn't horrific. Try also with chocolate or a brownie and see if you get anywhere with it.

Clynelish can be slightly waxy and in the right place rather nice. I've not tried the 14yo but the 21 and 26yo I have tried have been delicious. Don't compare to Islay whiskies - it's a different thing. Try after a rainy country walk in the autumn leaves and see it it changes your opinion.

Glenkinchie i quite agree - light and ever so slightly salty. A delicious light spting/summery whisky.

Highland park, I wouldn't call sweet but heathery/floral perhaps. And with a subtle peat that jsut rounds it off nicely for me.

As for the Caol Ila I quite agree. I think you describe it very well.

Last edited:
Associate
@wildman pour some of the glenfiddich 15yo into an old milk bottle etc then leave it out for an hour uncorked/unstoppered. After that try it and see what you think. The 15yo is very heavy on young american oak so quite sharp compared to some but it isn't horrific. Try also with chocolate or a brownie and see if you get anywhere with it.

Clynelish can be slightly waxy and in the right place rather nice. I've not tried the 14yo but the 21 and 26yo I have tried have been delicious. Don't compare to Islay whiskies - it's a different thing. Try after a rainy country walk in the autumn leaves and see it it changes your opinion.

Glenkinchie i quite agree - light and ever so slightly salty. A delicious light spting/summery whisky.

Highland park, I wouldn't call sweet but heathery/floral perhaps. And with a subtle peat that jsut rounds it off nicely for me.

As for the Caol Ila I quite agree. I think you describe it very well.
I'm curious as to why you would pour it into a milk bottle to leave it for a while rather than just leaving it in your glass? If you want more surface contact with the air, a rocks glass rather than glencairn. It seems an odd extra step to take.

Soldato
Because that's what they did when they took us round the blending rooms at the Glenfiddich warehouse + blending site. It could just be hokum but why not take a punt. It's not like milk bottles cost anything, assuming you still have a milkman that is...

Soldato
Because that's what they did when they took us round the blending rooms at the Glenfiddich warehouse + blending site. It could just be hokum but why not take a punt. It's not like milk bottles cost anything, assuming you still have a milkman that is...

Did they make a thing out of doing it and stated why? It would be rather amusing if it was simply because it was what they had to hand that day. Next time you visit, it might be a salad bowl :p

I'm curious as to why you would pour it into a milk bottle to leave it for a while rather than just leaving it in your glass? If you want more surface contact with the air, a rocks glass rather than glencairn. It seems an odd extra step to take.
Indeed.

Associate
Yes they really are; the principle of treating barley like how the French treat grapes is really interesting. Well worth the long watch of this:

https://youtu.be/k8A16hiDAGc
I haven't watched that video, I can't stand Rex, but I have seen and read other things about what they are doing and it is an interesting idea as far as USPs go, but practically speaking I can't see it having a particularly large impact on the end flavour. Different strains of barley yes, which corner of the field it is grown in? Not so much. The big difference between wine and whisky is distilation, that strips out a lot, so while I can see it being relevant for wine, I can't for whisky. But as far as marketing goes, it has certainly got a lot of people talking about them, which I suspect is the real purpose behind it.

Associate
Heads up, Laphroaig Quarter Cask Single Malt Scotch Whisky, 70cl is currently on offer at the Rainforest for £25.
Unless OcUK have started selling whisky you are fine to say Amazon in here. Not so much in hardware related sections though.

Have to say I have been pretty underwhelmed by the black Friday deals on whisky this year, normally I see a fair few that are worth picking up, but this time around they have been pretty poor offerings really. That's a decent price for the QC if you like Laphroaigs though.

Associate
Unless OcUK have started selling whisky you are fine to say Amazon in here. Not so much in hardware related sections though.

Have to say I have been pretty underwhelmed by the black Friday deals on whisky this year, normally I see a fair few that are worth picking up, but this time around they have been pretty poor offerings really. That's a decent price for the QC if you like Laphroaigs though.

According to my amazing spreadsheet* I have been slaving over, the best deals available currently are:

1. Laphroaig QC on Amazon
2. Benromach 10 on Whisky Shop
3. BenRiach 12 on Whisky Shop
4. Tamnavulin Sherry Cask on Amazon
5. Arran Sherry Cask The Bodega on Whisky Shop

After that you would be better off getting a regular priced bottle of Deanston 12, or Port Charlotte 10.

*The data entry is incomplete though, I'm only up to Glenfiddich!

Associate
According to my amazing spreadsheet* I have been slaving over, the best deals available currently are:

1. Laphroaig QC on Amazon
2. Benromach 10 on Whisky Shop
3. BenRiach 12 on Whisky Shop
4. Tamnavulin Sherry Cask on Amazon
5. Arran Sherry Cask The Bodega on Whisky Shop

After that you would be better off getting a regular priced bottle of Deanston 12, or Port Charlotte 10.

*The data entry is incomplete though, I'm only up to Glenfiddich!
Out of those the Arran is the one I'd go for, but it's out of stock, and travelling to pick one up is a non starter here at the moment. I've had the Tamnavulin before, not in a hurry to replace it. The benromach 10 is a good price though. Decent price there for the GlenDronach 15 as well. Not a huge saving, but still the cheapest I've seen it for a long time.

Associate
Out of those the Arran is the one I'd go for, but it's out of stock, and travelling to pick one up is a non starter here at the moment. I've had the Tamnavulin before, not in a hurry to replace it. The benromach 10 is a good price though. Decent price there for the GlenDronach 15 as well. Not a huge saving, but still the cheapest I've seen it for a long time.

Yeh, the Tamnavulin gets in because of the price; I bought one because I've only tried the regular version (which is completely and utterly average). My spreadsheet only compares ABV, price, and whiskybase rating. There are other things I'd like to reward such as non-chill filtering, and natural colour, but it's a bit of a minefield.

For what it's worth, I'm now up to Glengyle and the Kilkerran 12 at standard price is 3rd only to the Laphroaig QC, and Benromach 10 sale prices. Just confirms what an utterly fantastic malt that is.

Soldato
Heads up, Laphroaig Quarter Cask Single Malt Scotch Whisky, 70cl is currently on offer at the Rainforest for £25.
I bought it for £24 when it was last on offer, and damn that is a good dram. I have bottles like Ardbeg Ugge, G&M bottling of peated Bunnahabhian both worth over double that in my cabinet and it compares very favourably to them. Really good value for money!

Associate
I bought it for £24 when it was last on offer, and damn that is a good dram. I have bottles like Ardbeg Ugge, G&M bottling of peated Bunnahabhian both worth over double that in my cabinet and it compares very favourably to them. Really good value for money!

The Uigeadail is a great value whisky, for the price I'd take the 10 first. Corryvreckan needs some attention also.

Bunnahabhain 12 is absolutely superb whisky, you'll get it for £32.95 on Whisky Shop. Other good deals on there to spread the cost of delivery also as mentioned above.

Back
Top Bottom