***The Official Guitar Thread***

Soldato
I’ve got 7 guitars hanging on a wall next to me. Easily £20k of wood... the secret is what you mount them to and how you mount it (obviously).

When I put up my string swing I drilled 100mm pilot holes and screwed the steel backing plate directly in to the concrete with 14 “tapcon” concrete screws.

The house will sooner come down than these :D

The only other medium beside concrete block work is consider is studs, under no circumstances would I attempt to hang a 4kg Les Paul on a hanger from plasterboard.

This pulls at my heart strings. I mounted a Hercules guitar grip thing on the wall about a week ago. About 3 days ago, it seems to have partially removed itself from the wall. I thought the plasterboard mountings would be sufficient....but apparently not. Got to reconsider my options now. I could probably get through to the brickwork, but I'll also have to repair the wall first!

Soldato
This pulls at my heart strings. I mounted a Hercules guitar grip thing on the wall about a week ago. About 3 days ago, it seems to have partially removed itself from the wall. I thought the plasterboard mountings would be sufficient....but apparently not. Got to reconsider my options now. I could probably get through to the brickwork, but I'll also have to repair the wall first!

It's not so much that plasterboard fixings aren't strong enough to hold the weight - some of them can be... it's the constant removal and replacement of the weight of the guitar on the hanger that they just can't withstand at all and as you've found will gradually pull themselves free

Soldato
The thought of keeping a Gibson out terrifies me, stand or hangers.
All my guitars (all 13-14 of them) are out in stands, and in a few cases on my girlfriend's spare bed. A lot of them get covered in dust etc, but then I don't baby them. While I'm not a working musician and I don't see them merely as tools, I'd rather have a guitar there to pick up and noodle with than have to get a case from the loft every time I want to play another guitar.

Soldato
I've ordered some stronger screws. I don't baby my guitars either, but I don't like banging in to them. Most of them are actually in the attic. I only play my 5-string bass regularly so if I need another, I'll get it down.

Caporegime
All my guitars (all 13-14 of them) are out in stands, and in a few cases on my girlfriend's spare bed. A lot of them get covered in dust etc, but then I don't baby them. While I'm not a working musician and I don't see them merely as tools, I'd rather have a guitar there to pick up and noodle with than have to get a case from the loft every time I want to play another guitar.

Ignore the little amp in the front. My Strat lives on that stand, but the Les Paul is in the case behind it.

M65vOBP.jpg

Man of Honour
OP
He's a collector

and why the hell is he suspended?
He's one of the nicest blokes on here.
Haha yes I was just being silly. I’ve been round his place for a jam and have played on a fair few of his guitars. I’m the one with the impractical silly big amp for home use :p

Not sure about the reasons for the suspension but even when the details are revealed you know they will be...... blurry.

Soldato
1yLaN9Q.jpg

PEmXv8Q.jpg

I tried to resist. But, the pull towards the 70th Anniversary Broadcaster was too much.

Figured, as this is my first Tele might as well go for it, and with time running out on these I felt like I couldn't miss it. It wasn't due for delivery until 31st December, which alone made me a bit nervous about being too late. But out the blue, I got a DHL shipping notice and it arrived on a Saturday!

The box was still factory sealed, no UK inspection of the guitar from Andertons. Promptly ignored the bright orange labels all over the box from Fender, warning to allow the package to adjust to temperature for 24hrs before opening. It was a mild-ish day!

I'm not normally much of a fan of the tweed look, but I can't see this guitar belonging in anything else. Lots of case candy with a nice pouch to hold then in.

Ash body, seems to be 2 piece, struggling to find the seam though. Nice even grain through the light finish. Weight is 8.2lbs, I understand that ash can vary hugely in weight. Seems like 8lbs is about the average for these.

Nitro finish on the body and neck, smells like vanilla. Neck is very beefy and is smooth, not sticky. I wasn't sure how I'd get on with the 7.25" radius (first time playing one), it felt slightly different on the first couple of plays, but I no longer notice it.

Sounds absolutely incredible. I think this could be the nicest sounds guitar I own. Great sustain and each note sings, I can't describe it. The tone when it is fed in to my Laney L5 is just perfect. I never thought I needed or wanted a tele, how wrong!

Soldato
Thanks A1ex2001. I was hinting about it to the GF and then went on to explain that it's a limited edition, only made this year, time running out... and got her blessing lol. I don't (yet) own enough guitars or have played long enough to be able to use the old "ah, this old thing, I've had this one for years!" line ;)

Soldato
That's a beauty.

Question about wall-mounting a guitar. I have a Hercules hanger, which is good. But I think I mentioned here that the hanger pulled out of my plasterboard. So, I bought some concrete screws to attach it through the plasterboard to the external wall. Does it make sense to put a small piece of wood in-between to spread the pressure over the plasterboard a bit? I'm just worried the hanger might move a bit and I'm wondering if the wood could limit that.

Edit: actually I could attach the wood to the wall, then attach the hanger to the wood. That'll prevent any movement in the wall.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom