Is there a "cool" convertible?

Associate
My wife pushed me to getting a S5 Cab vs the S5 I was looking at when i picked it up a few years back and TBH I love it, My petrolhead mates are all talking about how its .2 seconds slower to 60 or whatever but on a nice day its soooo much more fun.

Its not the most lively drive but for planted sensible performance car it ticks all the boxes.

We're also thinking of getting an S5 cab to replace our sportback A5. I personally think they look great and confident we would also manage to cope with the tiny performance drop. I've yet to test drive one but encouraging to hear it's fun with the roof down.

Soldato
Everything is more fun without a roof. But it may not handle the best if it's not built as a proper "roadster" from the ground up as all of the rigidity needs to be in the chassis. The big, 4 seater convertables tend to be a bit wobbly.

Last edited:
Soldato
We're also thinking of getting an S5 cab to replace our sportback A5. I personally think they look great and confident we would also manage to cope with the tiny performance drop. I've yet to test drive one but encouraging to hear it's fun with the roof down.

My only real issue with it is boot space, coming from a sportback that could be an issue. The normal coupe is bad enough if you want to move something larger, the boot is impossible in the Cab, its ok for a weekly shop but the second you want something bigger in it forget it, I have moved many things in the back seat with the roof down that would have fitted in the back of my old A4.

That said taking stuff to the tip is not why you buy a convertible. (though I did take a dead 55" plasma TV in the back seat much to the amusement of the guys working there).

Mine is the last of the petrol S5s cant comment on the newer diesel ones, my anti diesel prejudice though probably outdated means when I switch it I will be looking for something else though, but I'm planning on holding onto it for a while.

Soldato
If you want an 'event' every time you drive it, it doesn't have a roof, is a weekend toy and it works with the man maths then this should be on the list:
https://cms.caterhamcars.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/420R_F3Q.jpg

Outrageous fun, and if you get on that's nearly new then they don't depreciate much at all.

£30k ish for a nearly new 420R, cheap to maintain, amazing fun on the track. Lots of smiles and interest when you're driving it around.

But you really have to watch out for SUV zombies not seeing you in cars like this. Like bikers experience, sooner or later someone is going to pull out infront of you or cut you up. You have to be super defensive in traffic.

Last time I got in a Caterham was my mates around 16 years ago, I still have nightmares. I've never felt so vulnerable on (its hardly in) something with 4 wheels, it feels more like being on the back of a bike than being in car.

I ordered my Exocet with bright yellow body panels like the Caterham above, simply because I want to be driving a high viz jacket given a transit could probably drive over me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
But you really have to watch out for SUV zombies not seeing you in cars like this. Like bikers experience, sooner or later someone is going to pull out infront of you or cut you up. You have to be super defensive in traffic.

This and the vulnerability feeling is why I’ve never bought a Caterham, despite the huge fun factor. Driving around the Highlands it became obvious very quickly that you couldn’t see over rises in the road and if a fiat 500 pulled up next to you at a junction or roundabout, you couldn’t see the oncoming traffic :(

Associate
This and the vulnerability feeling is why I’ve never bought a Caterham, despite the huge fun factor. Driving around the Highlands it became obvious very quickly that you couldn’t see over rises in the road and if a fiat 500 pulled up next to you at a junction or roundabout, you couldn’t see the oncoming traffic :(

You do have to drive defensively at times, and I put my lights on when on the motorway and dual carriageway (no standard running lights on mine, though they are an option from new) to try and get seen. However, once you're out on the twisty roads (or on the track) its worth it!

Soldato
Cool is pretty subjective, but I get nothing but positive reactions to the Elise. I don't take the roof off much though as things get pretty windy in there quite quickly, although when you're just hitting the country roads on a warm day it's hard to beat.

I also used to like driving around at night with the roof off as well, not sure why but it gives a different sensation and is pretty fun. I did one of the (very) early morning owners club runs through central London inc. various tunnels with the roof off. That was awesome.

What I don't understand is people who drive around on sunny days when it's very cold outside with the roof off, but wearing scarves, heater on full blast etc. Can anyone explain that?

Soldato
You do have to drive defensively at times, and I put my lights on when on the motorway and dual carriageway (no standard running lights on mine, though they are an option from new) to try and get seen. However, once you're out on the twisty roads (or on the track) its worth it!

You’ve got me thinking again. I think I would probably try an Exige first, just to be more obvious to lorries and zombie SUVs. You’re right though, out on empty winding roads was truly bliss.

Soldato
You’ve got me thinking again. I think I would probably try an Exige first, just to be more obvious to lorries and zombie SUVs. You’re right though, out on empty winding roads was truly bliss.

Maybe, but I've had close ones in the Elise. It's only about waist height so people don't always see you :/

The modern Exige is bigger but it's still compact. Though you can hear it from a mile away so that might help.

Last edited:
Soldato
What I don't understand is people who drive around on sunny days when it's very cold outside with the roof off, but wearing scarves, heater on full blast etc. Can anyone explain that?

Because it's a fun experience. :) I have 90% of that whenever I drive the Morgan, as the roof hasnt even been attached to the car for over a decade. :)

Caporegime
I hold the opposite view, what gets me is convertible owners who don’t have the roof down if it’s not raining, my mate with his e63 M6 always has his roof down even at night, as he says what’s the point of a convertible if you don’t use it?

Soldato
I hold the opposite view, what gets me is convertible owners who don’t have the roof down if it’s not raining, my mate with his e63 M6 always has his roof down even at night, as he says what’s the point of a convertible if you don’t use it?

Agreed the wife would complain its too hot to have the roof down or the wind will mess up my hair, You wanted it so deal with it.

Soldato

when I had the s2000 if it wasn't raining the roof was down. nothing better than a sunny crisp winter morning blast with the roof down.

100% roof down at every opportunity.

Soldato
When I had my MX5 I had to keep the roof up occasionally in the summer heatwaves. As a ginger, the results could otherwise prove fatal.

Other than that, I agree :D

Soldato
I agree. But overall the F-Type annoys me as the coupe rear 1/3rd is absolutely beautiful, and the convertible with the roof up looks pretty rubbish IMO. One reason I liked my E89 so much was it looked great roof up or down.
Really, really miss my E89.

Back
Top Bottom