Composite Front Door

Soldato
Last night there was a loud bang. Had no idea what it was, had a look around and couldn't see any reason for it. Anyway this morning saw the front door and there's a crack/split nearly all the way down it from the centre window piece.

No evidence of vandalism, no boot marks, scuffs where something hit it. It seems to me it just cracked/split. It was fairly cold outside last night and we had heating on til about 10pm last night so wondering if this is usual for a composite door.

No idea how old this door is as only bought home 3 weeks ago. Last google view search showed it had a diff door so definitely less than 2 years old.

Soldato
Is the door closed properly in the first pic? It doesn't look very well aligned to the frame. It may have been poorly installed? It's very common to hear them crack and creak but I'll admit I've never seen one split.

Best to get someone out to take a look

Soldato
OP
It gets a lot of sun in the afternoon and then it was quite cold the other night. First time I heard it crack (and split) in the 3 weeks we been here. It feels pretty well fitted, nothing lose or any gaps but I'm no expert.

Can this be repaired or is it a new door? I wish we had details of the door installation and any warranty. What are the chances of asking the estate agent if they could provide details of the previous owner for checking who they used to install etc?

Associate
Has it got any barcode stickers on it with info? Ours has one on the side next to the hinges, obviously only visible once opened. The trim around the window looks identical to our solidor.

Associate
I've seen one somewhere on ours, but then again I did have the glass out at the weekend to swap it out, so it may have been on the inside of the window cut out.

Might be worth dropping solidor an email with your address and ask if they have any records.

Soldato
OP
tried Solidor and they only sell to trade so won't have details of personal installations. Used their website to locate local fitters though. No answers though so probably on lockdown measures.

Soldato
OP
I suspect they will give out that information if you were the owner of the door and had paperwork. I don't so I am going in blind. I don't think I will get anywhere with it but I live in hope.

Soldato
It does look very similar to my Solidor too. if they weren't Fensa or Certass registered, they should have officially had the door signed off from local council bulding control. Have you searched the building register from your local council too, as it may say who the installer was?

If it wasn't signed off or you have no certificate for this, your solicitor didn't do a very good job :D - or maybe they had put that they hadn't had any windows or doors installed recently on the property info form.

Soldato
That looks like a door from distinction doors. Do you know which installer installed it? If you've bought house might be good to find out as it should carry full warranty for like 10 years.

It also doesn't have to be Fensa it could be certass

Back
Top Bottom