Is there a "cool" convertible?

Soldato
A lot of money when you could just get a Boxster for a lot less. Which is a better platform artificially held back by Porsche to slot underneath it :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Really miss my S2000.

I've been contemplating buying it back, not kid friendly though! :D

s2000_aug16clean_1.jpg

Associate
I dont care whether folk "ie people who know nothing about cars" think my mx5 is a hairdressers car, or a gay car or what...
They aint ever going to appreciate its fantastic handling and playful approach that makes almost every drive, even just a 5 min to the supermarket, a proper laugh.

Its brilliant, roof down - sunny warm day bouncing off the 7500rpm limiter sending flames shooting out the 4 exhaust pipes while taking a corner with a small but very controllable rear slide - most car owners will never understand.

Associate
Well yes, it comes with 2 tailpipes but 4 is higher than 2 and thus cooler. Shooting flames out of the exhaust on limiter action is also far cooler than having fake flamage from a sparkplug or a map that dumps tons of fuel in just cos.

Its also not got forced induction (yet !), we all know NA cars are becoming very rare so very rare = cool
So its got lots of cool, bit like a modern s2000.
It also has a crap infotainment system but.... its hackable and you can reflash it with different builds - if only i could overclock its cpu (some crap arm jobbie)... that would make it cool instead of the poop it is from factory.

Soldato
A lot of money when you could just get a Boxster for a lot less. Which is a better platform artificially held back by Porsche to slot underneath it :p
Unless you have kinds in which case a 911 is much betterer. I did have a 981 as a courtesy car once, I think in the 2 days I had it I only put the roof up when it was parked:D. My 4 year old daughter loved it, but her hair was getting blown around a lot, im sure it had the windbreaker though.

Man of Honour
I'm getting too old to care what people think is 'cool' or what people think about me. Buy whatever you enjoy. I have great fun in my SLK55 - its quick (generally more so than people expect), loud with the flaps open and comfortable on my commute. Is it cool, probably not to many, although the kids all love it. Do I care, not in the slightest. What will I buy next? No idea. SL63, TTRS, F-Type, Boxter GTS, R8? Are any of those cool, probably not. Still don't care. Interestingly its usually the old 'motor enthusiasts' who think these cars aren't cool. No one cares what they think either :p

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I’m not even sure it’s the older driver who doesn’t get it.
IMO, more likely to be those who’ve never driven one and are more interested in traffic light drag race bragging rights in their TDS.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
I'm getting too old to care what people think is 'cool' or what people think about me. Buy whatever you enjoy. I have great fun in my SLK55 - its quick (generally more so than people expect), loud with the flaps open and comfortable on my commute. Is it cool, probably not to many, although the kids all love it. Do I care, not in the slightest. What will I buy next? No idea. SL63, TTRS, F-Type, Boxter GTS, R8? Are any of those cool, probably not. Still don't care. Interestingly its usually the old 'motor enthusiasts' who think these cars aren't cool. No one cares what they think either :p

Go for a crossfire next :D

Associate
Interestingly its usually the old 'motor enthusiasts' who think these cars aren't cool. No one cares what they think either :p

Unfortunately it tends to be the mid-life crisis drivers that make them uncool. Have a look at the average driver of a convertible and ask yourself, 'Would I want to be like him?'

I am like them, middle-aged, but don't drive a convertible, or have a 'trophy wife' to show off at the golf club...:cool:

Back
Top Bottom