• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK Zen3 review thread

Soldato
Ive got one coming on order and just updated my b450 gigabyte mobo to f60c bios (which supports 5000 series apparently) its only a beta bios though.

Anyone else done the same, would be good to know it works so I dont need to buy a 550 from somewhere.

Associate
The big draw this time was taking the gaming crown, which it certainly does at stock - but I'm not yet seeing it beat the likes of an overclocked 10980XE in that arena, which is also something that even Steve from GN alluded to in the end of his review. Early days yet, it might do. I would also say that the 5900x trades blows with the 10900K when both are overclocked, and thereby finally eliminates Intel's overall performance advantage in games but complete unbridled enthusiasm should probably be checked. It'll be fun to find out which to keep in a main rig and a lot of fun to overclock though.

The 10980XE costs twice as much as a 5900X and still more than the 5950X, but I see what you mean in absolute terms.

Associate
2020-11-05-25.png
Nice. With a bit of OC'ing you get get that single core to 600 I recon. Humbug will be drooling over that result. He used to love my heavily overclocked 3600 which only reached 574 or something last year :D

Got the 5600x to 4.7 all core.
Ddr4 to 3800mhz, tweaked memory and infinity fabric to 1900mhz works a treat.

A little bit left I think.
2020-11-05-29.png

Soldato
interesting tweet by Hardware unboxed https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed/status/1324466147207516161/photo/1

Explains why some of the reviewers are experiecing different results.

Running at TDP is because primarily Intel board makers are quite liberal with jacking up the "default" settings from what Intel advertises to make their boards look better in reviews.

It's the more honest way to do it because it cuts out the BS from mobo makers.

The alternative is to see multiple ranges of "default" performance just because you used different boards which each have different performance settings as "default".

Sounds lazy to acknowledge power limits are disabled for the Intel chips by the boards you chose to use but not for the AMD and present them as equal footing.

You've merged chip performance with mobo power settings...

Soldato
Running at TDP is because primarily Intel board makers are quite liberal with jacking up the "default" settings from what Intel advertises to make their boards look better in reviews.

It's the more honest way to do it because it cuts out the BS from mobo makers.

The alternative is to see multiple ranges of "default" performance just because you used different boards which each have different performance settings as "default".

Sounds lazy to acknowledge power limits are disabled for the Intel chips by the boards you chose to use but not for the AMD and present them as equal footing.

You've merged chip performance with mobo power settings...

Totally agree. Intel advertises its CPUs as 125w then your should stick to 125w in the motherboard settings, anything extra enabled via non stock motherboard settings is an overclock

Otherwise as you say, if you don't go into the BIOS and disable this stuff then you can get different cpu performance on every motherboard you test and what's the point of that, thats not a CPU test that becomes a motherboard test. I wouldn't expect Hardware Unboxed to understand because they don't spend much time benching motherboards.

Soldato
So basically from the reviews not doing 1080p testing only, 1440P and above shows no difference from zen 2 :rolleyes: for gaming. So anyone with a high end system and monitor that is above 1440p and most people now are wanting the 34" 3440x1440p 21:9 which is again higher than 16:9 2560x1440p are wasting their money for gaming. Seems like a good time to grab Zen 2 bargains then unless you are on 1080p and have a 240hz or 360hz monitor. Next true update will be zen 4 with pcie 6 hopefully not pcie 5 as pcie 6 has now been passed.

I'm on a 5120x3440p basically 4k minus a million pixels (7 million pixels instead of 8 million pixels for 4k). Again hype train for people already with high end systems or gaming at 1440p and above and they are not really destroying Intel yet with their 10900k single thread performance but AMD destroy them in power use.

Good review here from a trusted reviewer :-

Associate
interesting tweet by Hardware unboxed https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed/status/1324466147207516161/photo/1

Explains why some of the reviewers are experiecing different results.

Very interesting info. Explains why the Hardware Unboxed benchmarks for the 5950x show identical performance overall vs the 10900k.

I still think that makes a 10850k a good buy at half the price. Slight overclock and it will match a 10900k. Or even at stock the difference is negligible. Although I'm a bit biased !

Soldato
So anyone with a high end system and monitor that is above 1440p and most people now are wanting the 34" 3440x1440p 21:9 which is again higher than 16:9 2560x1440p are wasting their money for gaming.
Why would any CPU release ever change the fact that you are GPU bound at high/ultrawide resolutions?

Associate
Bloody TechpowerUp, Nvidia shills have made an error in their testing to make Ryzen 5000 much slower! Lol just kidding.

W1zzard of TPU really should improve his testing. For a start he's using 3200Mhz memory, but that doesn't explain much lower results alone.

Soldato
Why would any CPU release ever change the fact that you are GPU bound at high/ultrawide resolutions?

4k and ultrawide I didn't expect anything that's pure gpu bound at them resolutions, but at 2560x1440p I expected some difference by now, seriously 1080p gaming has really been dead a long time and people spending this sort of money on a cpu should at least be on 2560x1440p as the minimum standard now and as that is what I class now as minimum standard now, I was hoping to see some real gains in fps at 2560x1440p as I don't believe that resolution is that gpu bound anymore with the gpus we have now, still seems like cpu bottleneck to me at 2560x1440p.

Last edited:
Soldato
So basically from the reviews not doing 1080p testing only, 1440P and above shows no difference from zen 2 :rolleyes: for gaming. So anyone with a high end system and monitor that is above 1440p and most people now are wanting the 34" 3440x1440p 21:9 which is again higher than 16:9 2560x1440p are wasting their money for gaming. Seems like a good time to grab Zen 2 bargains then unless you are on 1080p and have a 240hz or 360hz monitor. Next true update will be zen 4 with pcie 6 hopefully not pcie 5 as pcie 6 has now been passed.

I'm on a 5120x3440p basically 4k minus a million pixels (7 million pixels instead of 8 million pixels for 4k). Again hype train for people already with high end systems or gaming at 1440p and above and they are not really destroying Intel yet with their 10900k single thread performance but AMD destroy them in power use.

Good review here from a trusted reviewer :-

as a 1440p and 4K gamer I understand zen 3 will have mostly small improvements but I personally play all sorts of games and there are games out there where even at 4K zen 2 sucks, such as anything made by Ubisoft and recently flight simulator and mmorpg like WoW

Associate
I don't know why we all get so bent out of shape. These are great CPU's, just not the second coming. AMD have done amazingly well but lets be honest, after a number of iterations have only just caught up and in some cases passed Intel in gaming and that's fine. It's great to have them there again in competition.

Just enjoy what you buy and maybe talk about what we are looking forward to and what we enjoy about the hobby.

Back
Top Bottom