• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Rocket Lake sucks in multi and heavy loads, it´s like only 5% better than 10gen, probably not even better than zen 2!! The aprochs it is obvious.. trying to take back gaming performance by force... you have 4 powerful cores, 4 small cores... They are trying to optimize single threaded workloads at max... sacrificing the rest. In the future i bet even in games... those small cores will have a negative impact... when games are fully optimize for 8 and 10 cores. It´s good for the currunt "meta", thats all.
I think you are confusing RL with its follow up.

As for RL, if you have lemons you make lemonade.
Intel can't compete with AMD for heavier workloads on 14nm, so it makes sense for them to build the best 8 core they can and try and attack that market.
It seems a pragmatic choice under the circumstances which are abysmal.
But a relatively decent 8 core seems a better option than a mediocre at best 10 core.
That's what Intel are reduced to now; which is the least terrible choice.

Soldato
I know that Rocket Lake will end with only eight cores. The thing is that the games are the last software that uses the advantages of scalability, so eight cores, even six cores will be enough to beat any core count Zen 3.

Good lord you know how to polish a turd :p

wanna take a bet that a Rocket lake 6 core will beat any and all zen 3 CPUs? Your claim not mine, put your money where your mouth is

Soldato
Sadly not with an ES...same socket, new chipset dude. I've nothing I can link more solid than that without getting kicked out of discord :). The first ES chips ran on z490, 2nd and 3rd do not. This may not be the case for retail, but the ES chips are a no go. Not worth buying the very early ES's, no pcie4, very limited clock speed, weird cache bug. No QS are out yet but should be by December.
Ah gotcha

Associate
vfiepvus9hx51.png

Permabanned
Rocket lake with rumoured +18% IPC and 4.8ghz clock speed will take back the performance advantage in SOME games but not all. The Zen 3 is beating the 10900k by up yo 45% in some games, 18% ICP isn't enough to overcome that

Nowhere Zen 3 beats the Core i9-10900K by 45%, Zen 3 beats only its old, inefficient predecessor Zen 2 by that margin.

The benchmarks show performance parity with Core in gaming on average across more than ten games.

In CS: GO, the difference is 22.4%, not 45%..

CS:GO seems to really love the new architecture for some reason. :eek:

csgofbje4.png

Soldato
Nowhere Zen 3 beats the Core i9-10900K by 45%, Zen 3 beats only its old, inefficient predecessor Zen 2 by that margin.

The benchmarks show performance parity with Core in gaming on average across more than ten games.

In CS: GO, the difference is 22.4%, not 45%..

check valorant them come back to me :D

Associate
Could AMD drop in an improved IO die and squeeze some more performance out of the 5000 series?
No sense on AM4. Nothing really wrong with current version. And its coming to end of its lifecycle.

What could happen is when they create a new IO die for AM5 socket, they could pair it with unchanged Zen3 chiplets. Getting a new product for DDR5 with minimal design time. And raining on Intels parade of whatever Lake or Cove they have for their 1700 pin socket with DDR5.

Associate
https://twitter.com/Thracks/status/1324561815104356352

1) Ryzen 5000 Series doesn't need a power plan. Don't expect to see one.
2) Yes, it can clock to DDR4-4000 1:1 if you have a good sample. Upcoming AGESA work will make this easier.
3) But you CAN tweak Ryzen perf vs. power with the Win10 Power & Sleep sider AFTER you install the chipset driver.
4) Is the memory controller the same? YES.
5) Do you need a new AGESA for pre-5000 Series CPUs? No. Not really. Stay on the BIOS you have. Man shrugging
6) But ROBERT what about the VOLTS and the CELSIUSES. WHAT IS NORMAL?!?!!?! ROB HELP. See below.
7) What is the best memory to buy? TOUGH QUESTION.

He then linked this on Reddit:

What is the fastest possible RAM you can run with 1:1 fclk?
DDR4-4000. 2000MHz fclk is to the Ryzen 5000 Series what 1900MHz fclk was to the Ryzen 3000 Series. Many samples can do it, but not all. In upcoming AGESAs, we will be implementing additional tuning that will make reaching 2000MHz easier. This is not a guarantee. There is no "safe bet" that your CPU will reach this frequecy. But don't be surprised to see a bunch of people bringing that magical 2000MHz fclk home with DDR4-4000.

Okay, so what's the best price/performance?
DDR4-3600 continues to be a "sweet spot." The kits are inexpensive, widely available, perform well, and have good compatibility. Is it the best in every category? No, but that's not what the sweet spot is. 3600 is a good bet because it's a good value in perf/$ for someone who wants to plug and play. Is it the best possible performance? No. Is it close? Yes, and without tinkering.

What's the best memory, even if i have to overclock?
Probably very tight timing 3600 or 3800, just like the Ryzen 3000 Series. The timings on these memory bins can be super aggressive versus higher memory speed grades, and that usually overpowers frequency.

I only bought 3200, did i do bad?
No, DDR4-3200 is typically binned with tight timings that makes it very competitive with a weak or average DDR4-3600 kit. You're not missing out on a ton of performance, but there are gains to be had w/ OC if you're interested in it.

Did you change the memory controller?
No. Everything you know about memory from the Ryzen 3000 Series still applies. Everything. In full. Except the ceiling is now +100MHz higher @ DDR4-4000 for good samples.

8) I see this a lot: "precision boost is automatic overclocking." No. False. Wrong. Precision Boost is our boost technology. Every processor has a boost technology. But ours is unique in that X THREADS do not equal Y CLOCKS. Why? Because that is SLOW.
9) But Robert, where is undervolting? Answer: IT'S GONE. j/k. Temporarily gone for 5000 series. It'll be back in an upcoming AGESA with new functionality. ;) It's gonna be HYPE. Y'aint never seen undervolting quite like this.
10) fastest gaming CPU brotherrrrr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom